Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jsj127 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Stopped by the local sporting goods store this morning. Place has been in business since World War II or there about. A few of the counter guys are really knowledgeable and then there’s others.

I learned this morning that Franchi only makes the momentum rifle in 30-06. You can get any caliber you want as long as it’s 30-06. Hmmm really? I ask him to just look in their book to see if they carry other calibers because I’m thinking my next rifle will be something low recoil. He gets the book out. He says well it comes in 243. 6.5, 308, 270, 30-06 etc. but I’ve only seen the 30-06 on the rack.

Second thing I learned this morning was you can’t kill a elk with 4 shots from a 308 so you need at least a 300 win mag because if he shows up out west this year with the 308 his buddies will laugh him out of camp. Now I’ve never shot a elk, never hunted elk, but I think I could kill anything in North America with 4 shots from a 308. I told the guy sounds like you need more range time instead of a bigger rifle.

The older I get the more stupidity pisses me off!

BP-B6

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Exactly, on the range time. Shot placement is key.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is sometimes amazing how people think that their observations or experiences are definitive and all encompassing.

I wont tell you about the young feller who told me that a 7-twist barrel will always shoot lower than a 12-twist.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lol...two seasons ago, my brother was telling all about the AR15 he saw at the gun store, and he even got to hold it. He informed me they only come in .223.
I mentioned that they do come in other flavors, and was corrected that they only come in .223.
So I opened up my rifle case and set out my AR-15 Bushmaster on the pool table.
What do you know? They DO come in other flavors.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stupid / ignorance stands on both sides of the gun counter. Fun times! smile

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Stupid / ignorance stands on both sides of the gun counter.

Aint it the truth?!

My first trip to hunt when I was 17 was an invite from my extended family in-laws. They all felt Weatherby magnums were required to kill Texas deer & being rich, they had the finest Wby's money could buy. When I showed up with my 220 Swift they literally scoffed at me. That weekend I took a nice 6 point & 8 point, the only two deer taken of the whole crowd. I was never invited back.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Last Monday evening, I'm perusing a gunshop as is often my evening "wind-down" when traveling. This is a long-time in business gunshop with a good mix of new stuff and used stuff, and good used stuff, not just a bunch of junk. Based upon some of the products and packaging, the shop has been there a LONG time. Man in his late-20's/early-30's says he can't get his rifle sighted in as he's run out of adjustment. Brings the rig into the store. They set it up in the vice, put a bore-sighting collimator in the dangerous end and get to lookin'. It's what looks to be a 700SPS in some sort of plastic stock that allows for an AR-10 style magazine. It's got a Nikon Buckmaster in bargain-basement AL rings on Weaver bases. The owner installed the scope himself.

Gun-shop kid says, "According to this, you should be shooting way to the right, not the left." crazy

Rings are tight as I see him try to wiggle the scope.

Gun shop kid is confounded. Though in fairness, based upon what I've over-heard him yapping about for the previous 30min leads me to believe he's confounded by anything more complicated than getting a sandwich out of a ziplock.

They hem-haw around discussing potential causes and finally the gun-shop kid comes up with, wait for it............................... "Well, the only thing I can think of is that your barrel must be bent."

I was staying out of it, listening from an aisle away, not over anyone's shoulder, but, upon the bent barrel statement, I couldn't help myself.

I made 1 minor suggestion, that they oppose the scope rings so that the big screws that holds the clamp-blocks onto the bases were pulling one from each side. One gun-shop kid thinks that's a good idea and essentially there's "nothing to lose". Mr. "bent barrel" backs off of his claim and says it must be the scope because the bore-sighter says he should be shooting way right and he was actually shooting way left. I walked away as they discussed scopes. I did overhear a bunch of the conversation and they so confused the guy that he ended up walking out without anything.

I try really hard to stay out of that stuff, but, the "bent barrel" deal I just plain couldn't make myself ignore.

Last edited by horse1; 09/12/19.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’ve kilt two bulls with a 7mm-08, one shot each. My dad is one bull with one shot, same cartridge.

Them’s what haven’t kilt elk yet speak with authority concerning killing elk lack perception.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I’ve kilt two bulls with a 7mm-08, one shot each. My dad is one bull with one shot, same cartridge.

Them’s what haven’t kilt elk yet speak with authority concerning killing elk lack perception.

P

Yeah, but that was with those darn 7mm-08s and NOT a 308. They are obviously not interchangeable, not to the shooter and especially not to the elk. One of those cartridges is perfect (clearly the 7mm-08), and the other just so-so, at least from the elk’s point of view. 🙄

Some may say that elk can’t be taken with a .308 win, no matter how close. I’m pretty sure Brad has taken one, maybe the only one, with a .308, and has pics to prove it. 😉😂

Last edited by Capt_Craig; 09/12/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The guys at Walmart are even better. Oh wait, can’t buy there anymore.

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Stupid / ignorance stands on both sides of the gun counter.

Aint it the truth?!

My first trip to hunt when I was 17 was an invite from my extended family in-laws. They all felt Weatherby magnums were required to kill Texas deer & being rich, they had the finest Wby's money could buy. When I showed up with my 220 Swift they literally scoffed at me. That weekend I took a nice 6 point & 8 point, the only two deer taken of the whole crowd. I was never invited back.

Reminds me of my first sheep hunt. I was going in solo 18 miles trek to the mountain. 1/3 the way in I met a couple fellows (who I took to be druggies) coming back out. Seems they couldn't navigate the mountain at mile 15 or so - tried to sidehill - not possible- I went over, easy enough - but they turned back.

They were dressed to the nines in new LLBean safari clothes and spanking new Weatherby 300s. Asked what I was carrying, I replied, "Remngton 700 .243". (FYI it was about 3 MOA- worked fine at 20 yards)

"Gee, I never heard of that!"

"Well, I gotta go now!......"

Took a full curl... and the next year and the next. Only I had a pack dog, plus a fiance, and then a wife the latter two, respectively.

I may be dumb, but I can learn!

Last edited by las; 09/12/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by 16bore

Had an incident at our locat Wal-Mart once, where no one in the store could even get into the gun cabinet.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 340Wby is a lot more gun... "it might not seem like much but those two extra thousandths make a huge difference!"

Another was mule deer (Dennis) convincing the kid behind the counter (pimping hard on the 6.8mmRSPC) to look out for the coming 6.8mm-06. "It is going to be very popular." The clincher was the conspiratorial conviction in Dennis voice.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sometimes if I'm really bored I will hang out at the gun counter at Sportsman's Warehouse, or other box store gun counters.... Sometimes it is hard to act nonchalant at the counter when the BS gets really deep, but it can be extremely entertaining...

One day, they guy behind the counter was trying hard to sell an AR15 223 to what I assumed was a noob.... "the one I have just like this will shoot 1" at 700 yards off hand".... and "it's enough to take down an elk at least that far"..... etc..... it went on like this for at least 15-20 minutes but I couldn't take any more without bursting out laughing so I found other places to be. Or the time one of the counter guys was telling a guy his 308 or something similar was so flat shooting he could aim dead on out to 600 yards and kill an elk/deer/???? Apparently, the laws of physics don't apply to some of these new rifles....

The guys at the fishing counters are even better- but that is a conversation for another forum....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I heard an old dude (mid 60's) this morning say that at high elevations near max loads or max loads will blow primers so you have to back your loads down before venturing above 3,000 ASL.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My son said that his friend invited him to go deer hunting with him. When they found out my son shoots a 7mm08 they said he couldn't hunt with that. Their club said it had to be a 270 or bigger.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Lucas1
My son said that his friend invited him to go deer hunting with him. When they found out my son shoots a 7mm08 they said he couldn't hunt with that. Their club said it had to be a 270 or bigger.

He should have told them it was a 284-08. Those are really big.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
90% percent of the stuff I hear at gun counters makes my eyes roll. Last week I heard the little man behind the Academy gun counter explain to a customer how the 6.5 Creed shot faster than the 270, but the 270 was a flat shooting round. Yeah. I just walked away.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Originally Posted by 16bore

Had an incident at our locat Wal-Mart once, where no one in the store could even get into the gun cabinet.

Sounds like your typical Wal-Mart experience. That’s why I try to stay out of that place.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am convinced that some people believe that anything they can imagine to be true becomes solid, incontrovertible fact the moment it rolls off their tongues.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
328 members (160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 34 invisible), 2,003 guests, and 920 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.