Nobody knows what Deer see, except God.

Deer Lord!

BP-B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

All I can do is share my experience

I had a group of deer that were really hard to sneak in on, first I started parking 1/4 mile away... but they still left the woods as I entered, wearing my white headlamp.

THEN I changed to a red headlamp —- and boom, I was taking deer ... so that was proof enough for me.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by KC

It's my understanding that most mammals, except man, have traded color vsion for enhanced night vision. The see in shades of gray, white and black. So they should be able to see any moving bright light no matter what color it is.

The best hunting time is the first half hour after sunrise and the first half hour before sunset, which is worth all the rest combined. So if you want to be in the field at those times, you need to do most of your hiking in the dark.

It's rarely pitch black at night; starlight, moonight and light pollution from nearby cities all contribute to light in the night sky. When there is snow on the ground things seem pretty bright. But when it's over cast and there's no moon, it can be pretty dark.

When I hike in the dark, the first thing that I do is sit down and wait several minutes for my eyes to become acustomed to the dim light. It's fun to listen to the night sounds; so many that I don't hear in the daytime. I carry a headlamp and a hand flashlight, but I try not to use them except in an emergency. I try to hike a route in the daytime so that I know what to expect at night. I also try to use some kind of guide like a trail, old road, sand wash, or fence line, to help keep myself on the right track.

This. If we have to use light its almost always a red one, nice and soft light for MY eyes. Carry a bright white one just in case we have the need for a bright light. Rarely use it. At least before and after dark unless trying to find a dead deer or blood or such. Or these days to help follow the dog on trails.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

I had a group of deer that were really hard to sneak in on, first I started parking 1/4 mile away... but they still left the woods as I entered, wearing my white headlamp.

THEN I changed to a red headlamp —- and boom, I was taking deer ... so that was proof enough for me.

Were the Solunar Tables in the right quadrant?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
I use a headlamp with white red and blue lights. I use the red to walk into the stand and get settled early morning. Have walked right up on bedded deer before.

After dark I’m usually just walking in the dark. I’m on very private land though

Supposedly the blue light is for blood tracking in the dark. I struggle to see blood in broad daylight right in front of me. Have never tried the blue light nor have I had need to so can’t say if it works or helps seeing blood in the dark

White light doesn’t get used much but is real bright if I need it for something

The blue light works great for blood trailing, makes drops of blood stand out like turds in a punch bowl.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole

Just my opinion and preference but personally, if I'm walking through the deer woods in the dark I want to be visible...

I have small blinking red lights for that.

Years ago I ran into a hunter just after sunset and he told me how he'd just been watching two deer cross the upper corn field. The two deer he was watching was me and a buddy. Had this damn fool decided to take a shot... so I don't take chances now, I blink like a damn Christmas tree. laugh

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
White, I get out early.

Prwlr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sevastopol
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Deer Lord!

Good one........ laugh

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Sorry sir, but that is incorrect. The science of what eyes see is well known. Deer do not have the rods and cones necessary to see reds. However, they do see much more into the ultraviolet than we do. Thier eyes do not see great detail, but are very good at picking up movement. (That's why immobility can fool them). I've had deer walk all about me without detection until they get down wind of me. Thier nose is very good.
The size, shape, and placement of a deer's eyes allow for greater light gathering, for night vision, and allow for detection of movement everywhere except a small fan shaped wedge directly behind thier head, and directly above. This is why thier head keeps moving, to cover that blind spot.
Thier ears are directional, and can be used easily to detect the direction of a sound.
Any detergent that claims "brightens collors" or "prevents fading, " has ultraviolet enhancers added to the soap. This makes your camo that much easier to see to a deer. The high dollar hunting soaps are really not much different than soap for hypoallergenic skin, which means leaving out anything that might irritate your skin.
And of course, hypoallergenic soap is much cheaper.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If you had a 60mm objective on your rifle scope, you could just look through it. They gather light you know.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

IC B3

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I’ve even thought about some night vision goggles to use walking in the dark, but too cheap to spring for them. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Were the Solunar Tables in the right quadrant?

I could see the tracks where they were leaving when I came with a white headlamp, and or parking too close - semi-urban deer are educated..

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Seems to me that semi-urban deer would be the least likely to spook at the sound of a car door slamming, or the sight of a light.

If they spooked every time they saw or heard the sights and sounds of semi-urvban life, they'd never stop running. Until they keeled over from exhaustion.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Seems to me that semi-urban deer would be the least likely to spook at the sound of a car door slamming, or the sight of a light.

If they spooked every time they saw or heard the sights and sounds of semi-urvban life, they'd never stop running. Until they keeled over from exhaustion.

Lately I am shooting semi-urban deer with a crossbow. 5 acre lots. I keep cameras out 5 months of the year, and I spend 3 1/2 months where I am in my "stand" 3-4 times/week normally. I watch a lot of deer to get the specific deer I want. Some of them never do relax and will spook at the least provocation. Some of them will patiently wait for people to vacate an area the want to feed in, like under oaks or apple trees, and could care less about things like fire pits still burning or people talking and kids playing. I have had deer watch me walk in to my "stand" and they go about their business as soon as I disappear from their sight. Their reaction is very individual. The dumb ones never seem to get weeded out either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I only road hunt at night.
Them headlamps (any color) squeeze my head and it's scary out there in the dark.

Have Dog

Will Travel

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Do headlamps make your zits pop?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do headlamps make your zits pop?

Nope, you're still here.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Why start so early ? that you need a light - what about breakfast ?

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Using thermals for predator control over the last couple of years, I’ve noticed some things with both deer and coyotes. A white light they’re used to (cars, street lights, etc) is something they might observe warily, but it doesn’t frighten them unless the car turns at them down a drive or such. Any ‘new’ light, regardless of color, is noticed immediately, though it doesn’t seem to immediately make deer flee, though the whit3 makes them more nervous right away. I think the coyotes see the red/green some, too....they just act uncertain/indecisive about it. White light puts a coyote in high gear. So, yes, they seem to see it all. Like daytime, they’re also ‘used’ to certain things. No, a new light doesn’t always immediately spook them, but they notice it and watch it, for sure. Deer act different at night, period. They feel completely safe with about a 100-150yard buffer, as opposed to they see you they’re gone, in daytime, regardless of range. I just move around them and try not to interrupt what they do, while trying to get angles on coyotes.....which WILL see your movement up to 200, especially if you’re moon shadowed. FWIW, I carry a good, bright white headlamp that has a low power red or green LED.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Just picked up a Black Diamond Storm at there outlet for $25. It does white, red, green and blue. 350 Lumens and it water and dust proof.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
228 members (257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 33 invisible), 2,211 guests, and 991 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,641
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.