Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
While overlooking a brown bear stream in AK last week I was bored and staring at the .375 HH ammo in my buttstock holster. Wow, what variation in seating depth. Some on cannelure, some above and some below. Easy .100” variation. No wonder why sometimes this rifle shot amazing groups and sometimes I got a few flyers! Definitely not confidence building when chasing something that would consider me a light snack!

Then a few weeks ago I also bought some Vortx ammo in .260 rem. Many of those case necks were so loose that they would spin manually without much effort. Some bullets even had up and down play, seemingly only held in by the factory crimp. No way I’m shooting these!

Terrible consistency and quality control. I’ve shot this stuff for years and have never had any problems like this. What’s up with Barnes these days? This stuff is really expensive and it’s not like I can return it so I’m kinda pissed!

Last edited by SDHNTR; 09/12/19.
BP-B6

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
First I've heard of problems with barnes factory loads. You can bet if I ever buy any I'll look at every round in the box before I pay. One would think with the tight tolerances in machinery today stuff like loose bullets would be a thing of the past. Oh well, lots of other great factory ammo out there.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You guys think thats bad, one of my buddies was using barnes factory ammo the other day and a primer let loose. Something was really wrong with that ammo. He was using a savage and it broke the extractor, and ruined the spring inside the bolt face. I had to rebuild the bolt face. I also believe it was the vortex ammo as well. My buddy sent barnes a parts list of everything i had to replace ($30.00 in parts) and he said he did not want any more of their ammo.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
You guys think thats bad, one of my buddies was using barnes factory ammo the other day and a primer let loose. Something was really wrong with that ammo. He was using a savage and it broke the extractor, and ruined the spring inside the bolt face. I had to rebuild the bolt face. I also believe it was the vortex ammo as well. My buddy sent barnes a parts list of all what i had to replace ($30.00 in parts) and he said he did not want any more of their ammo.

Wow! How did Barnes respond?

S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Upon further research, I see Barnes was acquired by PE firm Cerberus! That explains everything! The same company that ruined Remington. Ugh. So sad, time to move on.

IC B2

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Was going to point out that Barnes was part of Remington. This does not surprise me...they are bankrupt from qc issues

GOD Bless America
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Pop them in the press. Run it up and grab the bullet firmly with side cutter pliers and then run the press down, removing the bullet. Now seat at the length you want.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Barnes ammunition loaded by Barnes is usually very good, but some SKUs are loaded by Remington in Lonoke, AR and that stuff can range from good to garbage. All of the Safari and TAC-XPD is loaded at Barnes, but some of the VOR-TX is loaded in Lonoke. I'm not a fan of ball powder in rifle loads but Remington uses a bunch of it because it flows through the old loading machines better than extruded powder. Also, the bullet seating dies at Remington contact the bullet tip and not the ogive so seating depth is determined by the overall length of the bullet.

Offering FFL 07 & SOT services in NW Montana
[email protected]
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
While overlooking a brown bear stream in AK last week I was bored and staring at the .375 HH ammo in my buttstock holster. Wow, what variation in seating depth. Some on cannelure, some above and some below. Easy .100” variation. No wonder why sometimes this rifle shot amazing groups and sometimes I got a few flyers! Definitely not confidence building when chasing something that would consider me a light snack!

Then a few weeks ago I also bought some Vortx ammo in .260 rem. Many of those case necks were so loose that they would spin manually without much effort. Some bullets even had up and down play, seemingly only held in by the factory crimp. No way I’m shooting these!

Terrible consistency and quality control. I’ve shot this stuff for years and have never had any problems like this. What’s up with Barnes these days? This stuff is really expensive and it’s not like I can return it so I’m kinda pissed!

I have had the same problem. Also the cases were dented and dirty primers.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I bought a box of VOR-TX 50 gr 22-250 ammo last year and the cases were all rusty. I thought that was bad I guess it could have been worse.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And folks always tell me, there is almost no financial gain to reloading anymore, be it 9mm, 12 gauge or whatever rifle ammo I load.

I never put up with poor QC on anything but rimfire. And if I could load THAT, I would.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
And folks always tell me, there is almost no financial gain to reloading anymore, be it 9mm, 12 gauge or whatever rifle ammo I load.

I never put up with poor QC on anything but rimfire. And if I could load THAT, I would.

I am always amazed at how many people (who are too cheap to buy a 119 dollar Lee single stage kit) bash handloading. Barnes factory stuff is super expensive too, that is disappointing to hear.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I had a Barnes 7mag that didn’t have a primer. Perhaps it was cuz it didn’t have a primer pocket😳! The rest in the box were fine. Notified Barnes and sent a pic, they sent me a new box of ammo. Figured that was decent customer service.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I looked at some Barnes .30-06 loads recently and by the metal splatter on the outside of the cases, they appear to be the sloppy crap produced by Remington. Older Barnes ammo certainly didn’t look like that. I passed. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
You guys think thats bad, one of my buddies was using barnes factory ammo the other day and a primer let loose. Something was really wrong with that ammo. He was using a savage and it broke the extractor, and ruined the spring inside the bolt face. I had to rebuild the bolt face. I also believe it was the vortex ammo as well. My buddy sent barnes a parts list of all what i had to replace ($30.00 in parts) and he said he did not want any more of their ammo.

Wow! How did Barnes respond?

They sent him 3 boxes of the same damn ammo!!!!! He was pissed, because he seriously didn't want anymore of their crap ammo. I'm going to pull the bullets and pop the primers out and throw away the powder. I'll check the primer pockets and put my own powder and primers in the their brass. We for damn sure don't trust their loading...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
So I had several of my buddies go through all of their Barnes ammo. This issue is apparently widespread. Every single one of them had at least one or two boxes in their stash with loose and spinning bullets, and dramatically inconsistent seating depths. So sad. Another good company down the tubes.

I also emailed Barnes customer service with my findings. I was kind about it, but two days and no response. My bet is they don’t care.

So apparently now when you buy Vortx ammo you are paying premium Barnes prices, for crap Remington core loct quality.

Last edited by SDHNTR; 09/14/19.
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m wondering if this is all newer ammo since the Remington take over?
My Barnes ammo from 3 years ago is very good and I have couple partial boxes left over and they are consistent.
I reload now and it’s sad to hear about their poor QC.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dre
My Barnes ammo from 3 years ago is very good and I have couple partial boxes left over and they are consistent.

Barnes sold almost 10 years ago.

S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Yes, all my older stuff is fine. The newer stuff is chit.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by Dre

Barnes sold almost 10 years ago.

I guess I’m not up to date !
lol
Anyhow, sad to see the drop in quality

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I bought 3 boxes of 7mm 08 (I think 120gr Vortx) a few months ago. I opened 1 up after reading this post and checked 2 rounds. They were fine. After reading the later posts, I guess I'll have to check them all now.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I recently zeroed a new SS 3-9 scope and confirmed dope to 500 yards w/ 150gr Vortx and shot about 40 rounds w/ consistent good results. I just inspected my remaining 40 rounds and observed no problems.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

You ain't about that life.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
238 members (1Longbow, 12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 25 invisible), 1,859 guests, and 873 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,800
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.