Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by Bristoe
,...on string trimmers?

Stihl makes a tool called a "Yard Boss" with a 27cc 2 stroke motor. It comes with a small tiller head that I'm not interested in. But it can also be fitted with a string trimmer head that will accept a circular brush cutting blade. The rig has fairly wide set handlebars and can be outfitted with an optional pair of wheels. It seems to me that it would be a good tool for cutting down shrubs and various vegetation without having to crawl around on the ground with a chainsaw.

So has anyone had any experience with a string trimmer equipped with a circular brush cutting blade?,....if so, how well did it work and what size engine was on the string trimmer that you outfitted with the blade?

Are you still brainstorming how to murder the cane patch ?

I don't think I've got enough left for the cane patch. I'm going to hire a pro to do that. I've also got about an acre of miscellaneous scrub brush and overgrown ornamental plants that need to be attacked.

So far I've been crawling around with a chainsaw to take care of it,..but that's getting old.

The idea of standing up and shoving a circular saw blade into that mess appeals to me.

BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by fburgtx
They still make blades for the Echo Bearcat, which essentially are what you talking about possibly doing with that Cub Cadet.

https://sleequipment.com/echo-bearc...KbNJBblv5B1vHNYRoVqU2I3MZ9hoCRckQAvD_BwE

(!)

That's what I've been looking for!

Now I've got to find where to buy one.

DR offers one too.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Thought the Bear Cat was badass, too.

Til it turned out the mixed-drink thermos on the crossbar was a "manual holder".

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
,...on string trimmers?

Stihl makes a tool called a "Yard Boss" with a 27cc 2 stroke motor. It comes with a small tiller head that I'm not interested in. But it can also be fitted with a string trimmer head that will accept a circular brush cutting blade. The rig has fairly wide set handlebars and can be outfitted with an optional pair of wheels. It seems to me that it would be a good tool for cutting down shrubs and various vegetation without having to crawl around on the ground with a chainsaw.

So has anyone had any experience with a string trimmer equipped with a circular brush cutting blade?,....if so, how well did it work and what size engine was on the string trimmer that you outfitted with the blade?

Are you still brainstorming how to murder the cane patch ?

I don't think I've got enough left for the cane patch. I'm going to hire a pro to do that. I've also got about an acre of miscellaneous scrub brush and overgrown ornamental plants that need to be attacked.

So far I've been crawling around with a chainsaw to take care of it,..but that's getting old.

The idea of standing up and shoving a circular saw blade into that mess appeals to me.

Bull dozier!!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by slumlord
That thing better have an ignition lockout device. Be out there all hammered and chit and saw your foot off. grin

Yep. A wrist tethered kill switch and the thing around yer’ neck that you can push a big red button and say ,” Ive fallen and I can’t get up”.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
,...on string trimmers?

Don't have time to read all the responses, so please pardon me if this is repetitive. I've got several weedeaters laying around including a nice one that you don't have to mix gas for. Its been years since I used one of them. They were a huge improvement over trimming the weeds with sheep shears that Mom and Dad had me use. But I haven't used one for years. Probably twenty or more years ago, Mom and Dad (both deceased now) bought this lawnmower type string trimmer because they thought it would be better on their backs. They didn't think it was and quickly reverted to weedeater type trimmers. I was extremely skeptical of the thing but since they didn't want it, I ended up with it and actually think it was a huge improvement over the weedeaters. The biggest thing is not having to eff with the string feed all the time. The first one I had that last for years of hard use with like, no maintenance done on it was this:

https://www.swisherinc.com/categori...nda-deluxe-string-trimmer-std4422ho.html

Last I knew they were made in Missouri not far from here. This one is significantly higher than the ones I saw just a few years back, that could be had for around $400 before any sales.

When I bought the replacement for mine, I bought a Cub Cadet though and it is much better mainly because it doesn't sling shixt at you as bad. Sticks and rocks HURT and I don't think the Cub ever has hurt me. The Swisher was a fine machine and a cutting SOB but it was a rare occurrence that you took it out for long without coming in with blood on your legs from it throwing stuff, even with guards. The plexiglass guard on mine is only about half there from shixt hitting it and finally breaking it in two. The Cub is far superior. The only reason I bought the Cub was they were out of Swishers at Tractor Supply and I needed one since the Swisher finally wouldn't start.

These type of string trimmers WILL use some string. On both of the ones I've had, they utilized two pieces of much larger diameter plastic line than a normal weedeater type. No need for the specialty blades or whatnot, you can cut pretty big stuff with this line. Bigger stuff and fences, etc. will eat the line faster though. The line is just two pieces and they last quite a while in just normal weeds as opposed to horse weeds or other woody type plants that a person let get away and get big. It's a big improvement over fooling with any of the line feeder type trimmers though.

Maybe the new Swishers don't throw stuff as bad or are better at blocking it. They look to have a different setup with lines than mine did. I just got the Cub because it was available, the less pain part was a bonus.

If you need a tiller too, don't fool with the Cultivator types, get a full-size. Get an "Earthquake" Chinese knockoff for around $300 on sale. Just as good if not better than current Troy Bilt stuff. Get the one with the bigger wheels and for sure get the rear tines.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Btw, FWIW...the 400 was one of the worst tractors IH (old IH and not the current New Holland stuff) made. Weak rear end. The M's were the best tractors of their day, far superior to some Johnny Popper two-lunger. You ever see farmers back in ye olden time periods without fingers? It's because they "knew" how to hook up equipment by themselves from the back of the tractor using the hand clutch. Proper Farmall's didn't have such antiquated shixt. The 560's, etc. were good tractors too, but the 3010's and 3020's were just better. An 8N is a nice tractor but it's for truck gardening and such. Feel free to disagree but a lot of the "experience" you get on here is from guys with 5 acres who go to a lot of steam power shows and suchlike and look at some rig some old dude has restored. Riding a f u c k i n g M in a parade for fifteen minutes without a disc behind you threatening to kill you at a moment's notice if you fall asleep due to having worked on the same f u c k i n g M from daylight until it got too dark to see because the light's NEVER worked on them f u c k e r s, is a far cry from what I just described. The 400 is about the same. People FLOCKED to get 3010's and 4010's because they were hugely more comfortable and safer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ethan,

I'm guessing you have turned one of those old tractors too tight with an implement!

Make mine a WD-45 with a rake
and Farmall 300 with a disk.
Bent some stuff, never me, lucky.

More than one guy got hurt when those back tires pulled something up over them.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have done a crap ton of brush clearing with a cheap 4 stroke power head and one of these.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-Tri-Arc-Brush-Cutter-Blade-and-Expand-It-Brands-AC04105/100665186?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CG%7CBase%7CD28I%7C28-32_PORTABLE%7CNA%7CLIA%7CFixed%7c71700000041074954%7c58700004788398043%7c92700040946149284&gclid=Cj0KCQjw2efrBRD3ARIsAEnt0eiFFeTcU_GK06pOgxfCuT6vIlFnqJshYTEPRCwUSLkQbAfq9CrAx9YaAnOqEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I use my FS90R all the time...

String head for grass

Tri blade for things like greenbriars etc etc

Quad/Square for larger items like willows.

Circular saw blade for 2” up stalks.

I dunno if the machine your looking at has the same CC’s or not, but if I recall the FS90R was the smaller of the machines stihl says should “safely” operate the blades... it sounds like a harley weed whacker lol, but its not near as strong as my buddys stihl that has the handle bars.... but I use it for grass around the house more often than not and didnt want a lincoln town car for a weed whacker.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Ethan,

I'm guessing you have turned one of those old tractors too tight with an implement!

Make mine a WD-45 with a rake
and Farmall 300 with a disk.
Bent some stuff, never me, lucky.

More than one guy got hurt when those back tires pulled something up over them.
Nope. They are easy to make a mistake with though and they are easy to fall off of if you're sleepy or not paying attention. I never ran one that had anything but tricycle front ends. Some had wide front ends and some of those were home-made. Supposedly they didn't turn for shixt. My family had both a 560 and a 460 with the smaller tractor having a tricycle front end and the 560 having a factory wide front end. I'd much rather run the wide front end but my cousin preferred the narrow front end because of the tight turn. The 560 was our first diesel. By then guys were figuring out you couldn't hardly pay for the gas if you got a gasser much bigger than that. Those tractors were a lot better than M's but much inferior to the new John Deere 10 series.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I went the cheap route, echo srm225 string trimmer and picked up the blade cutter kit for it, in it 275 total, does just fine around the house. We just bought a new house on 3 acres and the edges are overgrown with briars, weeds, some bamboo. Already found some rocks, cinder blocks and don't feel comfortable with a mulch head or bush hog and certainly don't want to brake any windows. Gonna take some time but so far it has been great....but its not commercial grade. This kit came with an 8 tooth blade, I am curious about better blades for it.

Last edited by killerv; 09/12/19.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Just ordered that renegade hybrid from the video above, looks like it will certainly do a great job.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
,...on string trimmers?

Don't have time to read all the responses, so please pardon me if this is repetitive. I've got several weedeaters laying around including a nice one that you don't have to mix gas for. Its been years since I used one of them. They were a huge improvement over trimming the weeds with sheep shears that Mom and Dad had me use. But I haven't used one for years. Probably twenty or more years ago, Mom and Dad (both deceased now) bought this lawnmower type string trimmer because they thought it would be better on their backs. They didn't think it was and quickly reverted to weedeater type trimmers. I was extremely skeptical of the thing but since they didn't want it, I ended up with it and actually think it was a huge improvement over the weedeaters. The biggest thing is not having to eff with the string feed all the time. The first one I had that last for years of hard use with like, no maintenance done on it was this:

Last I knew they were made in Missouri not far from here. This one is significantly higher than the ones I saw just a few years back, that could be had for around $400 before any sales.

When I bought the replacement for mine, I bought a Cub Cadet though and it is much better mainly because it doesn't sling shixt at you as bad. Sticks and rocks HURT and I don't think the Cub ever has hurt me. The Swisher was a fine machine and a cutting SOB but it was a rare occurrence that you took it out for long without coming in with blood on your legs from it throwing stuff, even with guards. The plexiglass guard on mine is only about half there from shixt hitting it and finally breaking it in two. The Cub is far superior. The only reason I bought the Cub was they were out of Swishers at Tractor Supply and I needed one since the Swisher finally wouldn't start.

These type of string trimmers WILL use some string. On both of the ones I've had, they utilized two pieces of much larger diameter plastic line than a normal weedeater type. No need for the specialty blades or whatnot, you can cut pretty big stuff with this line. Bigger stuff and fences, etc. will eat the line faster though. The line is just two pieces and they last quite a while in just normal weeds as opposed to horse weeds or other woody type plants that a person let get away and get big. It's a big improvement over fooling with any of the line feeder type trimmers though.

Maybe the new Swishers don't throw stuff as bad or are better at blocking it. They look to have a different setup with lines than mine did. I just got the Cub because it was available, the less pain part was a bonus.

If you need a tiller too, don't fool with the Cultivator types, get a full-size. Get an "Earthquake" Chinese knockoff for around $300 on sale. Just as good if not better than current Troy Bilt stuff. Get the one with the bigger wheels and for sure get the rear tines.

I'm not really looking for a string trimmer. I might put the string on it every now and then, but I'm buying it for the blade. From what I've seen, the Echo Bearcat is about the only company out there that has lawyers that will allow them to sell a rolling string cutter that will take a blade.

I bet it wouldn't take much more than a bushing to affix a blade to the Cub Cadet. But I don't want to spend $330 to find out.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
,...on string trimmers?

I'm not really looking for a string trimmer. I might put the string on it every now and then, but I'm buying it for the blade. From what I've seen, the Echo Bearcat is about the only company out there that has lawyers that will allow them to sell a rolling string cutter that will take a blade.

I bet it wouldn't take much more than a bushing to affix a blade to the Cub Cadet. But I don't want to spend $330 to find out.

In case you missed my post from a page or so back, DR DOES have a similar attachment for their trimmer:

https://www.drpower.com/power-equipment/trimmer-mowers/accessories/blades

Couldn’t say if it’s better or worse than the Echo...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
,...on string trimmers?

In case you missed my post from a page or so back, DR DOES have a similar attachment for their trimmer:

That Beaver thing is wicked.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
,...on string trimmers?

I'm not sold on the chainsaw type circular blade for my purposes. I'm sure they work fine,...but I'm planning on cutting close to the ground and the dirt I'm going to encounter would dull one up quick. For my purposes, I think the carbide tipped blades would work better.

Also, you have to buy and install a brake kit if you're going to run a blade on a Dr Power trimmer. From what I can tell from the Echo Bearcat video, you just remove the string trimmer attachment and affix the blade.

Dr Power wheeled trimmers were the first I looked into.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

,...on string trimmers?

A rough old knot head, "I can make one of them myself", guys I used to work with 'engineered' his own redneck version brush whacker out of an old walk behind gas push mower by cutting a sizable chunk out of the front of the mower deck. I never saw it myself (sounded a bit too scary dangerous for me) but he said it did the job he wanted it to and made it easier to push and cut under overhanging briars, vines, brush, etc.

If a person was nervy enough they could probably fabricate a saw blade type attachment for an old push mower on the cheap as he did.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
,...on string trimmers?

I'm not sold on the chainsaw type circular blade for my purposes. I'm sure they work fine,...but I'm planning on cutting close to the ground and the dirt I'm going to encounter would dull one up quick. For my purposes, I think the carbide tipped blades would work better.

Also, you have to buy and install a brake kit if you're going to run a blade on a Dr Power trimmer. From what I can tell from the Echo Bearcat video, you just remove the string trimmer attachment and affix the blade.

Dr Power wheeled trimmers were the first I looked into.

Good to know. I just assumed that DR had a built in brake. My Poulan Pro wheeled trimmer has a brake on it, so I can leave the engine running but the trimmer stops spinning.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
174 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 14 invisible), 1,484 guests, and 830 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,909
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.