Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by mark shubert
I've maintained for years - that high-intensity incineration of our garbage could generate electricity. (Although requiring sophisticated "scrubbers")
Thus helping solve 2 problems at once.

Would it work - or not? And why?

The biggest mistake the greenies made was going after incineration.

I've also maintained for years that we should be trucking garbage to nuclear plants, then using the waste heat from nuclear energy to "crack" the garbage into biofuel. It's already being done with animal biproduct from meat processing. The nuclear waste heat would be a further cost-saving.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Everyone seems to have their own opinions and "facts" these days, on alternative generation. My opinion, windmills are a damn blight on the environment; very expensive to build, install and maintain. They also require huge amounts of fossil fuels to exist, aka plastics and lubricants. Not to mention generous tax subsidies and other benefits to the builders.

At the moment, several local municipalities are considering restrictions on rainfall run off, like how much paving/roof areas, etc. can be on a property, due to heavy rains and flash flooding,due to recent heavy rains. Solar panels are not included. Solar panels do not absorb rainfall, any more than parking lots, driveways and roofs do. The largest school district in our area, now has about a six acre solar panel installation on a hillside. One wonders how much of a retention pond they had to put in, because I can't see it?

The US has a huge amount of coal and gas upon which to rely for power generation. Coal is cleaner than ever, gas is now about the cheapest option, next to hydro and nukes. Allow me to offer another opinion on this issue: Why does it seem that the biggest proponents of alternative power sources, all leftists that appear to hate our nation?

The biggest threat to our nation, power-wise, is an aging and inadequate distribution system, aka the power grid. Anytime a power company wants to upgrade/expand their grid, "environmentalists" come out of the woodwork in opposition.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Been out of the country (consulting on a power plant!) and just had to comment on the quality of this article. The only nitpick is that it doesn't go far enough in showing the REAL disparity between so-called renewable energy and combined cycle because the multi-layered taxes on natural gas aren't shown against the subsidized cost of solar/wind.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
The fact remains we need non-renewable energy facilities to accommodate full power mode, for when the "renewable energy" sources ain't working.

Expensive doubling up!

But it does extend the life of non-renewable assets, which are sufficient for centuries yet.

I'm 71 - I don't give a sheet! Gimme cheap, reliable power and fug the kids... Their problem. smile

Last edited by las; 09/12/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,506
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.