Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I use a mixture of Helosate, Grazon and Remedy ultra with a surfactant mixed in, kills every thing you spray it on.
Ronnie

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ftbt
Here is the home-brew (and cheap stuff) that I use for weeds:

1 gallon of the cheapest vinegar you can find (I get for about $3.00 a gallon);
2 containers of non-iodized table salt; and
6 or 7 good squeezes of blue Dawn dish detergent.

I have a Scott pump sprayer. I put all the above ingredients in the sprayer, shake the hell out of it to dissolve the salt, and spray away. Works like magic. May take a day or two to see the results and sometimes a second application is required. Cheaper / safer than Roundup and just as effective.

It might work, but it isn’t cheaper. Safety is debatable.

2.5 gallons of 41% glyphosate is $40. Being extremely liberal in mixing it at 5 ounces to the gallon will give you 64 gallons of spray for $40. 64 gallons of $3 vinegar is $192 plus your salt and soap. 3 ounces per gallon is good enough for most yard plants. That will give you 106 gallons of spray for $40.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Cheesy

I have a Scott pump sprayer. I put all the above ingredients in the sprayer, shake the hell out of it to dissolve the salt, and spray away. Works like magic. May take a day or two to see the results and sometimes a second application is required. Cheaper / safer than Roundup and just as effective.

2.5 gallons of 41% glyphosate is $40. Being extremely liberal in mixing it at 5 ounces to the gallon will give you 64 gallons of spray for $40. 64 gallons of $3 vinegar is $192 plus your salt and soap. 3 ounces per gallon is good enough for most yard plants. That will give you 106 gallons of spray for $40.

I'm no math wizz but WTF?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by FatCity67
STRAIGHT Roundup kills everything. Something isnt correct with your mix, application or even the product you bought.

Roundup comes with its own adjuvants no need to add others.

Didn't kill the aspen/birch sprouts in the lawn when my wife sprayed them. Nice little green growing twigs centered in a patch of dead..... smile

Personally, I just mow them...

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All grasses in my drive dead, dead, dead. Scared the hell out of the plantain as well.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/rm43-glyphosate-plus-weed-preventer-tvc-1-gal

IC B2

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Have your dog piss on it. That kills my grass all the time. smile

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'd like something to just stunt my lawn. This water, mow, water, mow cycle must end!

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by UPhiker

Your dog must be a mutant. It's dog chit that kills grass, not pee.

At least with my dogs. Maybe mine are the mutants! smile

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
I'd like something to just stunt my lawn. This water, mow, water, mow cycle must end!

C'mon Boomer. Quit watering and fertilizing, and get a couple sheep. Problem solved!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've always found that planting maple trees is a sure-fire way to kill any and all forms of grass.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Grumulkin
Hopefully someone here will know. I have grass that need to DIE. I believe it's crab grass and it has continued to thrive despite my spraying it with Roundup and with stuff I bought at Lowe's that will supposedly kill crab grass and another product that is supposedly brush killer. It has been sprayed several times and looks as good now as on day one. I'm ready for the nuclear option. Any recommendations?

My step-uncle has degrees in soil science and horticulture and works at an ag extension and consults for a golf course developer. His rec, that I followed for similar issues: Compare-N-Save

Stupid name, but frikken stupid good results. Never seen anything like it...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Try this trick on your crab grass. A day or two after your first good freeze, the grass starts to pull it's nutrients down into it's roots for winter, Spray it with 41% glyphosate/water mix.

I did that with a swath of brome I wanted to plant to native grasses and forbs. That stand of brome never came back, but I have a great stand of natives now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'm no math wizz but WTF?

He’s spending $3/gallon+ with his home vinegar salt solution.

For $40 you can buy enough RoundUp to make 64-106 gallons of spray that will kill about any non-woody plant. 2.5 gallons is 320 ounces. 5ounces/gallon gives you 64 gallons (320/5=64). 3ounces/gallon gives you 106 gallons (320/3=106)

Follow?

Buying that much vinegar would cost between $180 and $300.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Had one hard on grass. "Where Dandy goes nothing grows."

Seriously this is a bad time of year to kill grass. Active herbicides need to have grass in a growth stage and grass is usually at least semi-dormant this time of year. Glyphosate at the high label rate will work and kill everything, even glyphosate resistant pigweed we have here. (Even better if you tank mix with a 2,4,D product). Wait a bit. And there's seed on the ground like somebody mentioned. That needs a pre-emergent herbicide like Preen (Treflan) or fertilizer with crab grass control. But that's a spring job so relax for now.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nighthawk

Had one hard on grass. "Where Dandy goes nothing grows."

Seriously this is a bad time of year to kill grass. Active herbicides need to have grass in a growth stage and grass is usually at least semi-dormant this time of year. Glyphosate at the high label rate will work and kill everything, even glyphosate resistant pigweed we have here. (Even better if you tank mix with a 2,4,D product). Wait a bit. And there's seed on the ground like somebody mentioned. That needs a pre-emergent herbicide like Preen (Treflan) or fertilizer with crab grass control. But that's a spring job so relax for now.

Agreed. Glyphosate plus 2-4-D is what I use when I really want something to die. Crabgrass, if it really is that, is hard to control. Spraying it now is not going to stop it from coming back up next fall. I've seen it sprayed dead, then come back up after a few weeks, because there was still seed in the soil. I'd put down some Preen next spring before the crabgrass emerges, and it will probably take a few years worth of treatments to get rid of all of it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would take pictures or better yet fresh cut samples of the whole plant to your local extension office or the weed and pest. Get a positive ID. Common names for the same plants vary around the country, so a firm ID is important.

Then I would ask them for their recommendation and maybe do some of your own research once you have the positive ID.

When you settle on a herbicide read the label and follow instructions. You need to mix the herbicide correctly once you have calibrated your sprayer. Or buy a ready to use product if available for the herbicide you select.

Different weeds are vulnerable at different times in their growing cycle and herbicides work differently from others. 2,4-D is really only effective on broadleafs when they are actively growing. Others can be used when the plants are almost dormant. Glyphosate is going to take at least a week before you'll notice any plant damage. Don't be mowing or cutting those plants in the mean time. You can start to see plant damage from 2,4-D in a few hours sometimes. Sometimes, like spraying Knapweed in the fall, you won't really see results until next spring when not as many grow up.

With lots of species you are going to have a seed bank in the soil and not get 100% kill so total control will take more then a season or two.

Depending on your locale early fall can be a great time of year to kill grass. In places with hot dry summers once you get cooler fall days the grass starts to grow again especially with some rain or irrigation.

Last edited by Ralphie; 09/13/19.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
[quote=Cheesy]

Follow?

Thanks! When you went to 3 ounces, I didn't follow you had returned to the Round Up... LOL grin

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hopefully someone here will know. I have grass that need to DIE. I believe it's crab grass and it has continued to thrive despite my spraying it with Roundup and with stuff I bought at Lowe's that will supposedly kill crab grass and another product that is supposedly brush killer. It has been sprayed several times and looks as good now as on day one. I'm ready for the nuclear option. Any recommendations?

If its an area kill, I've not been disappointed by roundup. If its a spot kill, try boiling water and soak the spot. Boiling water kills all. It works great on ant mounds too.

There are many copies.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I still say it's best to ID the culprit weed first... before blasting herbicides all over. Maybe it's NOT crabgrass. It might be a variety of nutsedge... which can be a bear to get rid of. Many of the nutsedge species (yellow, purple, globe, etc.) have triangular (cross-section) stems. Roll it between your thumb and finger. If it's triangular in shape... bingo. Once positively identified, product selection becomes easier.

Note #1- Glyphosate does not kill everything.
Note #2- For herbicides to work effectively, the weed has to be in a healthy, active growing state.
Note #3- Tank mixing some herbicides can be very beneficial.
Note #4- The use of a surfactant / wetting agent may be beneficial. The herbicide label will tell if doing so is advisable.
Note #5- If it is crabgrass, sprinkle baking soda (1 # per 100 S.F.) on damp foliage. Black weeds will soon follow.
Note #6- As already noted, bermudagrass can be very difficult to kill... even with full strength dilutions of Glyphosate.
Note #7- You had better hope the weed is not Torpedograss. It's a S.O.B. to get rid of. Not sure if it even grows in your area but...

OVER AND OUT.

Last edited by RicG; 09/13/19. Reason: addition
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the recommendations.

The grass is coming up through landscape fabric and a good layer of redwood mulch. It has had multiple applications of Roundup with no effect at all though when I've used that on other grasses it works fine. I thought it was crab grass but maybe it is Bermuda grass; it definitely has root rhizomes.

I haven't tried a surfactant with the Roundup. I'll also probably try the Dawn, salt and vinegar potion.

Grum,

is it coming up through fabric and mulch that is put down to keep weeds from around other valuable landscaping plants? If so, you may want to watch how, when, where, you use any herbicide as you likely want to see any effect on your other plants.

If it's Bermuda grass......good luck. I didn't think it grew that far north, but perhaps you're in the southern portion of your state. Nasty stuff, and it seems like if you do manage to get it under control but your neighbors don't, it'll be back as it spreads underground to your place again.

Good luck.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 8 invisible), 1,446 guests, and 735 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,675
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.