Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I recently acquired a Mossberg MVP Scout in 308. It has a long Picatinny rail on top, with a ghost-ring sight built into the very back of it. There’s an aluminum front sight screwed into the barrel that looks very, very fixed to me.

The rear sight slides side to side in a channel, and it’s held in a particular position by a couple of set screws, one on each side, tightened against each other.

But I can’t figure out how to adjust it for elevation. The owner’s manual is no help. I thought for a bit that I could loosen one of the windage screws and then screw the sight ring up or down by twisting it around its vertical axis, but although the sight ring and the base appear to be different pieces, they seem to be permanently fastened together somehow.

The gun’s accuracy seems okay, but it prints eight inches low at 25yd.

This is my first real ghost-ring sight. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
GB1

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Buy a lower front sight or file it down.
8 inches low at that range is extreme.
Or shim the bottom of the rear.

Call mossberg and find out what ammo and what distance they regulate it too.
( goodluck with that)
Its gonna be the biggest mystery of the day for em until you get thru to the right person.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Wow!
8" @ 25yds
Probably 2' low at 100 yds
Yup, Call Mossberg.

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like a Williams fiber optic sight in the pictures, no? So you're out of luck filing it down. Wouldn't mess with the rail, your primary sight goes there. But I too would e-mail Mossburg first.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Not much info out their in Google fu land either about those sights.

People seem to.replace em with aftermarket ones. Front and rear.

Couldnt find a thing on how to adjust for elevation.

I would be calling mossberg and play phone fugg with them until ya get the answer about how to get that rifle hitting better.

Good luck.

IC B2

Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the advice.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sounds to me like a sight picture/hold issue.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Barak, forgot to say if it is Williams one piece they do make them in several heights.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Barak, forgot to say if it is Williams one piece they do make them in several heights.

But that is one mean adjustment. Figuring the sight radius at 23.5 inches ( that's a guess) it's .209 inches.

If it was me I'd bench it at 100 yards to get a better picture of what it does. Then go from there.

From what I'm reading you loosen ONE windage screw and turn the sight. 1/2 turn equals 1.25" at 100 yards.

Last edited by Armednfree; 09/13/19.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Try loosening the rear sight windage screws and see if the rear sight turns (threaded) to raise it.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm betting it's turned all the way down right now.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looked up the MVP Scout and found this picture.

[Linked Image]

The aperture is obviously meant to screw up and down for elevation. If it won't turn with the windage screws loosened then I would assume it's just stuck somehow. Maybe some penetrating oil like Kroil, Liquid Wrench or such could loosen it. Looks like those threads go all the way around the stem so it could be that someone really cranked down on the windage screws and damaged the aperture threads, that would make it very hard to turn.

But bottom line is that yes, it is supposed to turn up and down.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

That does indeed look like the rear sight I have, and the post does look threaded when I peer at it from the bottom of the detached rail, and it’s easy to see that the side set screws have been turned in far enough to damage the threads; but the ring does not twist around the vertical axis at all, and I’ve torqued on it hard enough to be scared of shearing it off.

Now, I haven’t tried the penetrating oil, because it doesn’t look corroded; but I’ll do that.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Some dummy might have used Loctite on the rear sight threads. If the rear sight is metal, slide it out of the rail and heat it gently with a Propane torch. Even red Loctite turns loose at around 500 degrees, and that's not enough to hurt metal, even aluminum.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Barak
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

That does indeed look like the rear sight I have, and the post does look threaded when I peer at it from the bottom of the detached rail, and it’s easy to see that the side set screws have been turned in far enough to damage the threads; but the ring does not twist around the vertical axis at all, and I’ve torqued on it hard enough to be scared of shearing it off.

Now, I haven’t tried the penetrating oil, because it doesn’t look corroded; but I’ll do that.

Yup, that was it. I squirted it with WD-40, then loosened the set screws, put an appropriately-sized steel punch through the ring, and torqued it back and forth. After about three swings with no movement, it broke free and started turning under protest.

Maybe it was Loctite Red. Weird, though: it's a brand-new rifle, straight from Mossberg.

In other news, in case you're interested, I like it a lot except for a few things.

First, it doesn't have a third sling stud. I understand that Ching slings are expensive and Mossberg doesn't want to include one for free, but a Scout rifle without a third sling stud doesn't make sense.

Second, it's got a bull barrel. Haven't figured out why. Scout rifles are supposed to be light. This one's under seven pounds, barely, but it seems they could probably turn another half pound off the barrel.

Third, it comes with short rails bolted to the left and right of the stock up front. Lasers and flashlights and whatnot, I imagine. But a Scout rifle should not be contaminated with heavy, bulky extra crap: it's supposed to be light and handy.

Fourth, and this is a small one, I wish it had a three-position safety. Two is okay-I-guess, but I do like to be able to lock the bolt down. On the plus side, the safety is precisely where it should be for a right-handed shooter.

But there are plenty of things I like about it too. Short, handy, perfect cheek weld when thrown to the shoulder, trigger and bolt throw about as good as can reasonably be expected on a commercial-grade rifle. I put a nice Leupold FX-11 Scout (2.5x, 28mm) with low quick-release rings on it, and it's very nice too.

Anyway, it turns out that the WD-40 was indeed the special sauce. Thanks, Jim in Idaho, Hotrod_Lincoln, and Dave_in_WV.

Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Barak
Second, it's got a bull barrel. Haven't figured out why. Scout rifles are supposed to be light. This one's under seven pounds, barely, but it seems they could probably turn another half pound off the barrel.

Okay, that’s why it’s got a bull barrel. With 10- or 20rd box magazines, it can get really really hot surprisingly fast. My theory is that a thick barrel provides stiffness and thermal mass.

Still heavy, though.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Barak, you can use a high wattage soldering iron to break Loctite loose without harm to a rifle. You need to heat about 2 min. and then try to break the bond. Sometimes a bit longer.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

586 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,218 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,302
Posts18,449,071
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.