Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I recently saw these free online targets that the NRA is offering, which I think is a cool idea for promoting more shooting and practicing. I do find the shot placements on the main animals to be interesting, as neither is where I would personally elect to aim. The center of the bull on the buck looks a bit far forward for much margin of error, while the hog seems rather far back, possibly only catching the rear portion of the onside lung.

[Linked Image]

I imagine both would still be killers if drilled straight through the center of the red, but that's not how I'd draw them if it was up to me. Being just a bit off on the side-to-side point of impact could create some long tracking jobs. The leading edge of the red bull on the buck might not be a killer at all, while the rear edge of the bull on the hog is nearly a pure gut shot. I've managed examples of both of those botched shots in my hunting career and both are not fond memories. Thoughts?

Now with even more aplomb
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Those are good for a “broadside” shot! There needs to be depictions of placement for “raking” or shots on game “not” broadside. It’s amazing who many people can’t visualize bullet placement for contacting the most vitals.....whether from above, below, or with the previously mentioned “raking” shot!

In an attempt to show my granddaughter about placement, I used a stuffed animal, and showed where the path of the bullet would be at different shot angles! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I like to draw a mental line straight up from the back of the front elbow and aim there.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
You have to keep it very tight to the shoulder on those hogs.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Those look “quartering too” to me, on quartering shots I like to aim based on my exit hole rather than my entry hole, if that makes sense.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
JJ Wise, Yep! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks free targets. I can live with the target bullseye placement!

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks free targets. I can live with the target bullseye placement!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (Anaconda, 264mag, 6mmCreedmoor, ak_Rick, 12 invisible), 1,534 guests, and 734 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,421
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.