Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
SargeMO Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Guys with medium and larger hands have been tucking their little finger under the handle of their single action revolvers since the introduction of Colt’s Navy Model. This isn’t a big problem with early Navy-gripped blackpowder and cartridge revolvers—and their modern clones—owing to their light weight and relatively mild recoil.

The later, heavy frame Blackhawk & Vaquero can be a chore to handle using this two-finger grip; especially with ‘Ruger/Contender’ loads. The previous fix required a Ruger Super Blackhawk, Hunter or Bisley grip frame, fitting it to your frame, refinishing as necessary and then buying a set of grips to match. With Ruger factory grip frames well over a hundred bucks (when you can find them) this can be a fairly expensive proposition.

Texas Grips offers an alternative in their extended grips for Ruger single action revolvers. At 1/2 inch longer than standard grips and with a proportional flare at the butt, it offers a Dragoon sized grip that preserves the plow-handle profile. The owner, Henry Lance offers these grips in a number of attractive hardwoods and laminates, but Mesquite got the nod for my old Vaquero.

More at: http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/texas-grips-extended-single-action-revolver-grips/

Last edited by SargeMO; 09/11/19.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Talk to us Sarge.

You buying, or bought, looking for reviews.
I sure prefer the size of the SBH to my BH or Vaquero.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Bought them and really like them. Full review in link at bottom of first post.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought you had copied the article.
No idea it was you that had written it blush

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It may have been you who suggested them, or we discussed the grips at one time, but I bought a set for my 4.62" SBH in .44 Mag., and what a difference they made with some real-sporty 300-grain loads.

It's quite the difference if a little bit of recoil is involved. They are not a Bisley grip,, but still offer a huge improvement.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Those black laminates with medallions look right at home on that short SBH, Vic.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks.

That little bit of grip extension and being slightly more hand-filling made it pleasant to shoot. The factory grips seemed to concentrate recoil in one part of the palm and it got to where I just didn't enjoy shooting it.

Not that I'm a sissy, I just didn't like it and I was about to unload it and buy a Redhawk.

Now I have to find another reason to buy the Redhawk. Never fear, I'll come up with one... (grin)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Redhawk will take heavier loads is what I hear.

And your current 300 grainer's would just be the cats ass if they went 100fps faster.

Now, go buy the RH.

Thank me later.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I didn't think I had posted velocity.

I've had both the Redhawk and Super Redhawk before, along with a 7.5" SBH. I prefer the Redhawk for looks, mostly. The RH and SRH were 7.5 inchers, if I get another, it'll have a 4-whatever inch barrel. They carry so much better with the shorter barrel.

Both of the 300 grain bullets I'm using are hardcast lead, one a WFN at 1.6", the other a LCMN DCG at 1.725". The WFN at 1200 fps will penetrate plenty of animal, and I haven't had anything stop the LCMN DCG either. The extra OAL allows for a little more speed at the same pressure. I'm running those right at 1260 fps.

Hell, the WFN at 1000 fps will shoot through anything that lives around me. That was a thought with the standard grips (I'm shooting up ammo that was loaded for 7.5" pistols) but with the extended grips, I'll just load em back up with the old recipe.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I shot a few 300 grain old school XTP through the Vaquero the other day, along with some gas check swcs that drop right at 330. both are doing 1100 to 1150 from 4 5/8 inch barrel Ruger 45 Colts. Those were entirely manageable, one hand or two shooting, using these longer grips.

I've had a hard time keeping new model Ruger Blackhawks and Vaquero's around, simply because I didn't like the damn grips on them. I believe that problem has been solved now.

Last edited by SargeMO; 09/12/19.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That's good.

Those are some nice looking grips, by the way.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Didn't someone make extended single-action grips 35, 40 years ago? I can remember seeing ads for them but can't remember when or who.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the idea of applying a tru oil finish. I don't like lacquer, chips too easy.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The Rossi 92 in the top photo has the same stain, same rubbed in Tru oil finish. It's not a real hard finish but it is easy to touch up

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Ploughman
Didn't someone make extended single-action grips 35, 40 years ago? I can remember seeing ads for them but can't remember when or who.

Herrett's used to. I have a pair in my drawer that are built for an older XR3? frame I think. Though I am not sure if they are currently available. The ones Sarge is showing look pretty good.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by Ploughman

Herrett's used to. I have a pair in my drawer that are built for an older XR3? frame I think. Though I am not sure if they are currently available. The ones Sarge is showing look pretty good.

Ditto. Never seen them before.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you're are looking for custom grips, you should reach out to Scott Kolar at https://www.skgrips.com/

Scott is a retired USAF officer that lives in the Pittsburgh, PA area and made lots of grips for me for 1911s, Ruger revolvers and S&W revolvers.

I met him through http://sixgunner.proboards.com/ long long ago.

He's a stand up guy and his work is impeccable.

Tell Scott I sent you his way.

Us USAF Retired guys need to stick together and all that.......

Last edited by David_Walter; 09/13/19.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Some nice looking grips in his gallery. Am sure those that had them made are happy with their investment.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thank You, Sarge!

I’ve been looking for something like these for years.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

701 members (163dm, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 67 invisible), 3,005 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,578
Posts18,454,049
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.