Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I accidentally reversed the front and rear stock screws on my Marlin MLSS-50 and wound up breaking the tang that holds the safety button. Tried to epoxy it back together (using JB Weld), but it wouldn't hold. The surfaces that I need to glue together are very small which further complicates matters. The trigger/safety assembly looks like cast aluminum and Marlin discontinued it years ago, so finding a replacement trigger assembly seems doubtful. If I can get the mating surfaces clean I thought I would try Loctite Black Max, which has worked very well for front sight ramps. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
What material is this part made of? Believe it or not there are some substances that epoxy won't bond to. If JB Weld wouldn't do it I would have serious reservations regarding LBM to bond also.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
It looks like cast aluminum.

Last edited by Steven60; 09/02/19. Reason: picture files too big
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Another name for that might be Pot Metal. High Zinc content. Not sure about Marlin's but it was used in several lower cost forearms. One of the metals that epoxy does not play well with. If JB weld does not work then I doubt anything will. A new part is perhaps your best choice.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steven60
...The surfaces that I need to glue together are very small...If I can get the mating surfaces clean I thought I would try Loctite Black Max...

Fuggetaboutit.

Replace the broken part.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Dang spell checker…. Meant firearms, not forearms. If you used JB Weld it will be hard to get off. Heat and a wire brush. I doubt anything else, epoxy of any kind would work. Welding also most likely would not work.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Clenliness is key. First I would degrease with a quality brake cleaner. That stuff removes silicone which can be used as mold release in light metal casting. Then wire brush the broken edges to remove any soft oxides. Then the brake cleaner again. No reason epoxy shouldn't stick. You do have to rub epoxy on the edges to make sure the surface is wetted with epoxy, not just sitting on top of the metal. Black Max is a cyanoacrylate, I'd have more faith in an epoxy. JB Weld is epoxy resin with powdered talc filler. For this application I'd prefer clear epoxy and not the quick set type. You don't need the filler. Epoxy continues to cure after the initial strength time so be patient.

Might work, I don't know the part and what pressures/leverages are involved.

You can braze/solder aluminum and zinc metals but tricky stuff especially with small pieces. Hard to control the heat and they tend to melt.

Oh yeah, removing epoxy. Soak in acetone or lacquer to soften, then pick or wire brush off.

(Numerich didn't have the trigger assembly in stock)

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just brainstorming:

Maybe some very small holes with pins can be put in the joint.

Grooves along the side with pins glued in.

Aluminum solder, not weld.

External piece(s) glued/pinned/screwed to hold it together.

Bruce

Attached Images
marlinmls50safety.jpg (50.1 KB, 201 downloads)
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to try again after seeing if I can get the old stuff off. I also may try gluing the safety tang onto the trigger housing; there's a lot more surface area that way. I'm not sure they pinned it on for any reason other than ease of manufacturing.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

If available, I’d replace the broken part. Not likely that any of these suggestions will provide a viable long-term fix.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is a seller on gunbroker that sells demilled gun kits. Try that, or eBay seller Dr. Winchester

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or if there's room use a thin piece of shim steel or something to overlap and reinforce the glue joint. Glass printed circuit board material works well but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Some of the finest shot guns made were largely done by hand filling the block. Aluminum is easy to work. If the piece is not too complicated this might be an option. Another is to glue it together and send it to a CNC shop that has photo replication and digitizing capability. No idea of what the cost would be but the technology and equipment is becoming more common and less expensive. I live in a small town and a shop here does this for friends for art work and knife blanks so it shouldn't be that difficult to find.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (808outdoors, 338reddog, 257_X_50, AB2506, 19rabbit52, 6 invisible), 1,369 guests, and 843 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,117
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.