Print Thread
Hop To
C
ChuckKY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I just ordered a Ruger American Predator rifle in .223 Rem. I know it's not an AR, but couldn't think of a better place than here to ask about some reloading advice for the .223. The rifle has a 1 in 8" twist and 22" barrel, comes with an AI style magazine which appears to have about 2.5" of free space for the COL. Was wondering what may be a good bullet for trying to shoot out to 500 yds with, that's about as long a range I have at my place. I've kind of got bored with my 6.5 CM in the RPF at that distance and thought about playing with a .223 for a while. My old Sierra manual list an accuracy load of Varget @24.4 gr with a 80gr Matchking for 2800 fps. Not sure how realistic this is as I don't do much better than that with a .224 Valkyrie I have been shooting. I only get about 3 loadings out of Federal Brass with the Valkyrie before I start getting split necks and have a ton of .223 brass I thought I would like to use. I have never used Varget in smaller cases and wonder what everyone has best luck with the.223. I know Rost495, antelopesniper and a lot of other people here have literally tons of experience with the .223 and I didn't see any reason to reinvent the wheel when I know a lot of experience is available here for the asking. I've got several hundred of the 80gr Matchkings, but wouldn't mind another bullet if better served. Shooting paper, gongs and a slew of critters that have been wrecking havoc with the wife's chickens. Appreciate any feedback that anyone wouldn't mind to share. I'd be using a suppressor also, but don't think that would play into any variable here. Would I be better off with a 63-68 gr bullet for the .223 in an 8" twist? Thanks.

GB1

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Will the 80’s load to magazine length?

C
ChuckKY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by IZH27
Will the 80’s load to magazine length?

I believe so. I haven't got the rifle yet, but I measured one of the magazines and it appears to accommodate up to 2.5" of COL. It is an Accuracy International type magazine instead of the magpul.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Good deal then! Let us know how the 80’s stabilize in the 1:8.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If it won't deal with Sierra 80s, try 75gr ELDs. I shot some good scores with the old 75 AMAX.

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
The 80's should stabilize in the 1/8 just fine, and for accuracy the SMK remains the large volume commercial bullets others are measured against. But if you're not trying to win any competitions, Shooters Pro Shop has the 77gr NCC's for $17 a hundred. The 60gr NBT's a just a little more, and great for making small critters go away. And if you want some hunting loads, they also have the 64gr BSB, but they group like a hunting, and not a target bullet.

I'd avoid the Federal Commercial .223 brass. It's notorious for being too soft and have a very short life. the LC stuff made in the same plant is made to a different standard, and is very good brass.

Vargets a standby in .223 with heavy bullets. It's a good place to start. So is TAC, and it meters nice.

Two old school powders for the heavies are IMR-4895, and Blc-(2)

If you do try the 64gr BSB's do yourself a favor and start with IMR-4895 it's the only powder I've found where I could break an inch more than just occasionally for 5 shot groups. I think someone else reported similar results with another powder, I just not recalling who, or what powder.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I was just looking at these rifles also, and I believe that all of the 223 versions use an AR mag, not an AI mag. This would mean that your OAL length would be limited to 2.26". The Ruger American Predators in the traditional "short action" chamberings (.308, .243, 6.5, 6mm etc) use the AI mags. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Hopefully this doesn't mess up your plans to shoot heavies. Worst case you'll just be in the same boat as everyone loading to AR mag length.

C
ChuckKY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by CORDrew
I was just looking at these rifles also, and I believe that all of the 223 versions use an AR mag, not an AI mag. This would mean that your OAL length would be limited to 2.26". The Ruger American Predators in the traditional "short action" chamberings (.308, .243, 6.5, 6mm etc) use the AI mags. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Hopefully this doesn't mess up your plans to shoot heavies. Worst case you'll just be in the same boat as everyone loading to AR mag length.

I thought the same thing when I went to look at the rifles. The one I looked at definitely had something other than a Pmag, but it was in .204 Ruger. I tried the Pmag in the rifle, the same rifle in .204 Ruger, and I couldn't get it to latch. The gunshop let me have an extra magazine that I brought home and it is what appears to be a Ruger version of a polymer AI magazine. It is 2.5" of length available. I have a 6.5 CM in the RPF along with a .22lr and .17 HMR in the RPF also. Really like the rifles, but was wanting something lighter. I have ordered a Chassis stock from Oryx for the rifle. Won't have a lot less in rifle when done, but should have a rifle with medium contour 22" barrel verses a heavy cotour 20" barrel with I hope less weight and a bit more easier to carry if I wish to take it afield. I really do appreciate the feedback. Also really appreciate any advice on loads, I picked up some 69 gr SMK to try also. I know there is a lot more exotic chambering than the .223 Rem, but sometimes less can be more and I have a boat load of brass laying around. You may be right about the magazine, the website doesn't really state what magazine the .223 Rem uses. Hope it does turn out to be the AI magazine.

C
ChuckKY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I just found the spec sheet on the .223 Rem and CORDDrew is right about the AR magazine, kind of rules out the 80gr bullets. Appreciate the feedback. The Oryx stock uses AI magazines, so maybe it will still work out.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by ChuckKY
I just found the spec sheet on the .223 Rem and CORDDrew is right about the AR magazine, kind of rules out the 80gr bullets. Appreciate the feedback.

The 77's have a much shorter Ogive..

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

C
ChuckKY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by ChuckKY
I just found the spec sheet on the .223 Rem and CORDDrew is right about the AR magazine, kind of rules out the 80gr bullets. Appreciate the feedback.

The 77's have a much shorter Ogive..

Thanks, didn't realize that. That's the kind of knowledge I am always grateful to pick up here

C
ChuckKY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by CORDrew

CORDrew, you where spot on about the .223 being an AR magazine in the Ruger Predator model. I looked at a couple of rifles in .204 Ruger and .243 plus looked at a .223 in the RPF and they all had AI magazines. The gun shop clerk and I both assumed the .223 in the Predator would also. Thanks to your good natured feedback, I cancelled order on Oryx Stock and .223 Predator and bought the Ruger RPR with the AI magazine and 7" twist. Again , appreciate the timely feedback, it kept me from being hugely disappointed when everything came in. Again, really appreciate the good feedback and I guess it is true what they say about assume.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm thinking the 80's might be tough to stabilize in 1:8 twist. I have a 1:8 that I'm working on Nosler 69gr. CC, and the 64 BSB or the Win PP. Not expecting a target rifle with the 64's but not bad. I'm using CFE223 with the 69's.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,618
Posts18,454,995
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.