Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
My buddy and I drew two alligator tags at the J.D. Murphree WMA in September. This is a good thing, but presents a few challenges for two guys from west Texas. We have to have a boat to access the hunt area and this boat must have a range of 20 miles and we must be able to get it over levies. At this point, we have no boat. I have not begun looking into getting a boat for this 24 hour hunt, but if any of you are familiar with this area/hunt and have any suggestions, I'd welcome them.

If any of you have shot an alligator with a bow, would you please send me a gear list for arrow/line/leader/float etc.

We have put in for Texas draw hunts for nearly 20 years and never gotten anything. As "luck" would have it, this alligator hunt is 3 days after we get back from a week and a half in South Africa. This $80 tag has the potential to get really expensive when my wife is finished buying furniture to balance the scales of fun....

thanks for any insight you may have.

long before Rodriguez stole that goat.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Haha...... I don't feel sorry for you in the least! I think she deserves more than just Furniture!!!! smile smile smile

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Can you hire a guide with a boat to hunt out of?

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
No guides allowed, you must have a tag to enter.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A flat bottom or "john" boat seems to me would be easier to drag over a levy. Don't know about the other gear.

Good luck.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Start looking for boat rentals. All you need is a 16' Johnboat with a 10hp. A 14' might work if the lizards aren't too big.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
pm ltppowell on here. never mind just saw your last post. but he would be a good contact for advice.

Last edited by stxhunter; 08/06/19.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Go over to Mudmotortalk.com and ask around over there. There are a lot of good dudes over there with experience, equipment and knowledge on gator hunts during Texas public gator hunts.
Gators are very easy to catch and kill.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Rent a boat. An airboat would be the deluxe way but even a canoe is workable. Get the best GPS set up you can, it is really easy to get turned around there in the dark. Get a good rechargeable Q-Beam, head lamps etc. Before your S. Africa trip let some chickens get ripe and then freeze solid. Pre-order the big hooks and kevlar rope.

The Rangers/Wardens can usually tell you where they have seen big ones, try to make contact with them before the hunt.

For the arrow head you want something with a cutting edge and heavy duty barbs, this is really not needed if you are only doing a finisher shot. You can go for a body shot then do a finisher head shot with something like a trocar point. Even the old bear broadheads would do the deed. Might bring a 22 if things go south on a big one.

Get the picardin and deet bug sprays both and I spray my clothing with Sawyers Permethrine or get the bug off stuff. I have almost shot at mosquitos while goose hunting in that area they are so big.

Good luck.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks for the insight. I will let y’all know if we come with alligators, iguanas, or just mosquito bites and good stories.

If anyone has a recommendation for an outfitter in this part of the world, I’d appreciate it.

Last edited by willowcreek1996; 08/10/19.

IC B3

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
A simple aluminum boat works well. Also, I grew up there, but haven't seen it in a number of years. Each "compartment" was surrounded by a large levee (dike), but there were rollers at each entrance point so you pulled your boat up onto the rollers and then easily pulled it across to the other side. Place is loaded with gators. Just be patient and look for a 9 or 10 footer. There used to be some that went 12 foot, but were rare.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a john boat and trolling motor. It was a blast. Good luck.

http://doing-manly-things.com/2019/04/22/alligators/

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Andy, thanks for the link, that write-up was very entertaining. Great memories for your boys I'm sure! Very cool,

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We enjoyed it. Good luck and let us know how it goes. The next time we are drawn, we plan to “bowfish” for a big one and on the last night set lines and bait.

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 1234, 53 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,635
Posts18,455,246
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.