Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Sam, at least it had a drain plug still installed, too tightly, but there at least.

If you're going to continue doing them on a regular basis consider getting a Fumoto valve. One of the slickest inventions I've ever found a use for. If/when we stop taking the '16 RAV 4 to the dealership for oil and regular maintenance, it'll get a valve like my other two vehicles. No more oil running down my arm, drains right into the recycle jug.

Look on the bright side, all that oil all over the inside of the compartment will help keep the rust down, what with winter comin' on.

Geno

Those are okay...but they are a bit to vulnerable for my liking.

I am MAGA.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Geno, bugs and chit getting in there.

I'm pissed man, pissed I tell yeah.....lol

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The one on my Tacoma is tucked up pretty good on what serves as a rock pan on a stock vehicle. Don't think I'd attempt the Rubicon Trail with it, but I've been over a bumpy place or two while out hunting.

The one on my Matrix sits up pretty good too. Doesn't see much worse than gravel county roads though.

No problems with either on probably a combined 200K + miles.

Always use the hose clamp goody to keep the valve "handle" from rotating.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
My Ford dealership still has an old guy that does it.

Mom used to take her Buick to one of those Quick Lube places. One time they told her she needed a new fuel filter on the gas tank. When she got home, there was gasoline pouring out of the back end. Dumbfuqks forgot to reconnect the fuel line. 😡

How did she drive home with the fuel line disconnected?

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SamOlson
It looked like more oil had blown out than was really missing.

Measured the waste oil and it was within a quart of kosher.

It's amazing how much of a mess a little oil will make.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Poor guy needs a liveable wage. Least 15 an hour grin

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I used to do oil changes at Sears many years ago so I know who they put doing them. The newest guy getting paid minimum wage does the oil changes, you're lucky if he has any training at all. We'd get a new guy and his first task was to pull a car in and change the oil, it was just assumed he knew how. I suspect almost all oil change places are like that including the dealers.

I do all the oil changes on my vehicles. There's no other simple task where you can do as much damage if you screw it up as changing oil in a car.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Geno, bugs and chit getting in there.

I'm pissed man, pissed I tell yeah.....lol

Mellow.

Mellow.

Better mellow out, don't want to get red flagged.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
If your oil filter is oriented threads down, so it won't leak all over, buy onea these:

https://www.amazon.com/EWK-Pneumatic-Changer-Extractor-Remover/dp/B06WD64H8Z/?tag=car-bibles-20

Sucks it out through the dipstick, no more gettin under the ride.

Leave the drain plug alone.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Just think, a little dust down there is like JB Bore Paste polishing those bearings, slicking things up a bit doncha know 😮

Last edited by navlav8r; 09/13/19.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B3

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sam
Glad you got it all worked out. Funny I’m sure the dealership would’ve just charged you for another cap.
This is exactly why I do my own oil changes on my new truck even though I can get them from the dealership.
Used to have a buddy who worked for a quick lube shop. His stories is another reason I do my own oil changes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
I refuse to use the stealership or a quiklube for oil changes. Have heard too many horror stories.

We've got a Valvoline shop by us, and they've done a couple changes. So far so good.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Bought the wife a new Tundra a few years ago. Normally I do all the maintenance, but thought I would have the dealer do it until the warranty was up. Bad decision. There is quite a lot of busywork on the Tundra, skid plate, radiator bottom shroud etc before you get to the filter housing. Of the 11 fasteners, 4 were stripped by the minimum wage Einstein and his impact tool. None of which were critical...but the drain plug threads were overstressed and showing "peelings". When I discovered this later and had a discussion with the service manager, he was very defensive and before it was over I was encouraged to vacate the premises and take my business elsewhere. I'm going to buy another Toyota for sure, just not from Lithia in Medford OR.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I would take mom's car to the dealer for an engine detail! At least the whole dealership would then know what happened!

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Sam, maybe these chicks were working at the dealership:

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=kwsra_1568317078

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Snyper
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
My Ford dealership still has an old guy that does it.

Mom used to take her Buick to one of those Quick Lube places. One time they told her she needed a new fuel filter on the gas tank. When she got home, there was gasoline pouring out of the back end. Dumbfuqks forgot to reconnect the fuel line. 😡

How did she drive home with the fuel line disconnected?

It was only about 6 blocks from where she lived. It’s a Fuqking miracle the car didn’t catch on fire.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The local Firestone AutoCare does a great job on everything. Never a problem.

They've saved my a ton of $$ too. Had noise we all agreed after test drive was a bad right wheel bearing. they took it all apart and the bearing was fine! No charge!!! Turned out to be a weird tire problem.

Another time I was in for rotation (free since I had their tires on it) and they changed the oil. Oops. No charge.

I screwed up belt on my daughters car. I have arthritis and could not do it again. I show up there 5 min before closing. No problem he says. No charge. And I'm on my way in 10 minutes.

I love that place.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Change the work trucks myself. There's a beer fridge in the shop. It normally takes +/- 6 hrs. It's a sacrifice I know, but some things are just worth doing yourself.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Old man in gay jeans complaining about millennials, better watch before you know it you'll be swapping your batteries in the Walmart parking lot to keep your warranties current...grin

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Me and a buddy sat at the window in a country cookin' (don't ask) where I64 meets I81 and watched a couple crackers replace the transmission in a 80's Dodge caravan with what appeared to be a crescent wrench, 6 way screwdriver and a digging bar, In the parking lot, while their wives and (what seemed like 20) kids ate at the buffet.
Guarantee those fuggers never paid anybody to change their oil!
I asked where they were headed, and to no surprise it was a NASCAR race somewhere south.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (222Sako, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 68 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,115
Posts18,464,490
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.