Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
rte Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
VA Judge Took 'The Rug Out From Under' Charlottesville In Its Attempt to Remove Confederate Statutes.

[Linked Image]

One Virginia judge just slapped the city of Charlottesville in its attempt to remove the statues of Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson. The men fought for the confederacy, even though Lee wasn’t a die-hard secessionist or pro-slavery. And his actions after Appomattox all but guaranteed that no guerilla war would ensue after the Confederacy’s formal surrender. He knew it was over and he told his troops that. He and Jackson are part of American history. That cannot be erased—and both are some of the finest generals this nation has ever produced. The Battle of Chancellorsville, my favorite of the war, is a testament to that point. The city tried to say that the statutes were a 14th Amendment violation because it made people upset. The judge dismissed that garbage point and very plainly pointed out that it’s illegal to remove war memorials within a locality.

A judge in Charlottesville, Virginia has ruled the controversial statues to Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee and Gen. Stonewall Jackson must stay.

More than two years after the Feb. 2017 vote by the Charlottesville City Council to remove the statue of Lee, which prompted a lawsuit against the city and was the impetus for what eventually became a deadly white nationalist rally, Circuit Court Judge Richard Moore ruled the memorials can’t be touched.

“Even though the city wants to remove the statues, the judge said it can’t,” said reporter Hawes Spencer, who was in the courtroom during Wednesday’s first day of the civil trial.

Spencer said the judge said the statute preserving war memorials has been amended numerous times over the years, “and that the iteration of it now existing is more about historical preservation than anything else.”

In its defense, the city had argued preventing the removal of the statues violated the equal protection clause of the 14th amendment by sending a racist message to people of color.

The judge’s ruling “really took the rug out from under the city,” said Spencer.

Spencer said Moore explained his decision: “He said whatever the original intent of the memorial, and we can’t really get into the heads of those who put these monuments to Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson up, today they exist as war memorials, and they are protected under Virginia law.”

Well, that’s the ballgame for now. We’ll see if the city appeals, but I doubt it. The statutes stand, a victory for American history.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattv...ille-in-their-attempt-to-remove-n2552982

Communist Goals

26. Present homosexuality and degeneracy as normal.
27. Discredit the Bible.
28. Eliminate prayer in the schools.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1561529/posts
GB1

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
Good!

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

They will be destroyed by arseholes and the coppers will stand about watching.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JSTUART

As the political leaders tell the Chief that any attempt to stop the vandals will be considered an infringement on their 1st Amendment rights. Any violation of the [bleep]'s rights while be considered "under the color of authority" and any policemen accused of that will be suspended, fired , or charged with a felony rights violation.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
Originally Posted by JSTUART

As the political leaders tell the Chief that any attempt to stop the vandals will be considered an infringement on their 1st Amendment rights. Any violation of the [bleep]'s rights while be considered "under the color of authority" and any policemen accused of that will be suspended, fired , or charged with a felony rights violation.

Bet the political leaders don't use that same argument if a mob kicks their personal cars to pieces in political protest.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I like this!!!

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
👍👍

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (160user, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 2,300 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,093
Posts18,464,084
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.