Campfire Outfitter

. . . . but, it's a "dry" cold. smirk

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
The record at Rogers Pass, MT was -70. The only problem was the thermometer would only go to -70 so it was thought the termp was actually colder. I do believe that was in the 50s, but then we had more hot temps in the summer back then too.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Hudge
Eielson has definitely had -65F a time or two. Up until 2 months ago, I could have pulled all the climo data you wanted or needed for there. Though I'm no longer a forecaster, I am a GS employee again. Once I get my work internet account set up, I'll see if I can still access it.

Thanks, I would love to see what you may turn up.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Eielson has definitely had -65F a time or two. Up until 2 months ago, I could have pulled all the climo data you wanted or needed for there. Though I'm no longer a forecaster, I am a GS employee again. Once I get my work internet account set up, I'll see if I can still access it.

There is enough variability in relatively small spaces to leave a lot of room for different temperature claims. In Anchorage the difference between Muldoon and the airport is often over 10F.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by northcountry
I've searched all over for the temp extremes "cold weather" at Eielson in the last 25 years. I seriously doubt that it has reached -65deg below zero or in that range for an extended time.
Any help please.

Mr Lambert When I worked in north central Canada in early 1950's we had -70 for almost 3 weeks with warming to -55 in the day. also replaced 9 engines in the trucks for the 90 days we were in the "woods" Cheers NC

I'll bet that it was a real picnic. I worked on cars and light trucks in Anchorage but our shops were warm. We did keep an old oil drain pan with charcoal in it to warm the oil pans so we could start them. Found out that you didn't do it on an oil leaker!

There was two people whose job was to move vehicles when not in use to keep them use-able, more than 3 hours you could wear the tires off towing but they would not move on their own, trans. and rear rend froze up solid.. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I had friends tbat li ed on Badger Rd in North Pole, a notorious cold spot. It was not unusual for them to be able to drop down to the Chena River behind their house and it be 20 degrees colder than the house thermometer. Vertical difference of perhaps 15'.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I lived in North Pole for awhile when we were stationed at Eielson. The coldest day I remember was -63F. To the best of my memory this was in Jan or Feb 1979.
-50 to -55 was pretty common during the winter.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
I had friends tbat li ed on Badger Rd in North Pole, a notorious cold spot. It was not unusual for them to be able to drop down to the Chena River behind their house and it be 20 degrees colder than the house thermometer. Vertical difference of perhaps 15'.
I lived off of Badger (Lakloey Dr) and you're exactly right, we lived at the bottom of the hill and it could be as much as 15 degrees warmer on top. We saw -30 to -40 quite a few times when we lived there.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by stevelyn
I think the coldest I've been in was January 2000. It was -67 F according to the AWOS at the Tanana airport. Which wasn't such a big deal in itself, but the cold snap that brought it lasted for about 3 weeks eventually starting to overpower heating systems that weren't burning wood.

My first exposure to real sustained cold was during the Brim Frost '89 joint exercise. I was attached to another unit which was camped out in the hills north of Eielson AFB. Night time temps got down to about -55 F and come up above (slightly) -40 F during the day. At least we were above the ice fog. The poor bastards that were down on the Flats along the Tanana River got the worst of it. Their lows were around -70 F unofficially and I doubt they climbed much higher than that during the day. Plus they were enveloped in ice fog. That schitt takes on the flavor of car exhaust, woodsmoke and diesel/heating oil exhaust after a while and you can taste it just by breathing through your mouth. We came back in from the field a couple of weeks later, and I recall how "warm" -20 F felt.

I remember hearing about Brimfrost '89. I was at FT Greely June '86 to June '88, so got out before that exercise. Coldest I remember on main post was around -55 to -60 F, but the test facility at Bolio Lake was often 5 to 15 degrees colder, I believe they've broken -70 F.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
I lived off of Badger (Lakloey Dr) and you're exactly right, we lived at the bottom of the hill and it could be as much as 15 degrees warmer on top. We saw -30 to -40 quite a few times when we lived there.

Alaska is a small town

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

Alaska is a small town

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Alaska is a small town

okay, we got it the first time!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Just checking.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now I realize all the members on the 'fire' are upstanding citizens, men of the most honorable mention, but talking about these kinds of temps without at least putting a smiley face on the post is very misleading or a poor attempt at a joke.

I very well remember, back in the 70's, when the government and other groups said that because of global warming, cities like NYC, New Orleans, LA, and many others would be under water, because of the melting polar ice caps. I remember looking at a map that showed where the shore line would be in 2020, and I was gonna have some 'beach front property'.

So in conclusion, you gentlemen must be mistaken or attempting to make a joke, cause I'm still looking forward to my beach front property in a few months.

(I cant even imagine what it would be like at the temps yall are talking about. It dont get that cold in Louisiana)

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the coldest I've been in was January 2000. It was -67 F according to the AWOS at the Tanana airport. Which wasn't such a big deal in itself, but the cold snap that brought it lasted for about 3 weeks eventually starting to overpower heating systems that weren't burning wood.

My first exposure to real sustained cold was during the Brim Frost '89 joint exercise. I was attached to another unit which was camped out in the hills north of Eielson AFB. Night time temps got down to about -55 F and come up above (slightly) -40 F during the day. At least we were above the ice fog. The poor bastards that were down on the Flats along the Tanana River got the worst of it. Their lows were around -70 F unofficially and I doubt they climbed much higher than that during the day. Plus they were enveloped in ice fog. That schitt takes on the flavor of car exhaust, woodsmoke and diesel/heating oil exhaust after a while and you can taste it just by breathing through your mouth. We came back in from the field a couple of weeks later, and I recall how "warm" -20 F felt.
i was out on the flats , on the advance party ...it was no fing party,batailon/ HQ said the temps over the pick77 ...same temp below...suckedazz...

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh yeh....later when we got back on ft ww that 20below an sunny sure felt good ..then my can of beer frose to my stash...darn it !

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MikeL2

I remember hearing about Brimfrost '89. I was at FT Greely June '86 to June '88, so got out before that exercise. Coldest I remember on main post was around -55 to -60 F, but the test facility at Bolio Lake was often 5 to 15 degrees colder, I believe they've broken -70 F.

Most folks that haven't experienced it don't realize that cold sinks down to the lowest level. I've stood out on the Yukon River on totally windless days and you can feel the cold moving downriver. I live at the base of a mountain out here in Aleutian Hell, and when we get a cold snap here where it's clear an cold, you can feel the cold air currents tumbling down off the mountain. Under those conditions the coldest location on my vehicle thermometer is on a bridge crossing a creek coming out of the small valley surrounded by those mountains that spills into the cove a few hundred yards downstream.

Originally Posted by atvalaska

i was out on the flats , on the advance party ...it was no fing party,batailon/ HQ said the temps over the pick77 ...same temp below...suckedazz...

We had a platoon down on flats manning static check points and TCPs. I didn't envy them in the least. It didn't help that their fuel and water supplies were inconsistent. At least we were well supplied with fuel and water, and we even had a mess tent that served us hot meals.

I gained a new respect for military cold-weather gear. I never got cold wearing it. I never cared too much for bunny boots, but they DO keep your feet warm. These days I've collected several pairs of trigger-finger mittens and liners, arctic mittens , and a few pairs of the newer mutant mitts by OR. I also have a pile of the white wool cold weather socks. Had a wake up call on a December trip up there a couple years ago reminding me of what real cold is all about. My cold-wet weather gear didn't do much for me and like an idiot, I left my beaver hat down here.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
When I was stationed at Eielson 89-92, there were a few days below -60*F.

When I went to arctic survival school in ‘89 (?) I tried to game the system and go in October, thinking I’d be warmer.

Temp was -42*F the night we slept in our snow caves.

Inside, it was +27*F according to the thermometer I had hanging from the “roof.”

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I'm still waiting on my internet account to be setup since I'm a new civilian employee. I'll let you know though as soon as I get my account.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

. . . . but, it's a "dry" cold. smirk

And TX heat is a 'wet' heat. LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

441 members (264mag, 1_deuce, 219DW, 17CalFan, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 53 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,491
Posts18,452,102
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.