Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Hello,

I've read many threads on the pros of the BLR and have always admired them, however, I prefer supporting US companies and buying their made in US products. Has anyone done any comparisons of the BLR with the Henry Long Ranger rifle? My plan would be to purchase one in .308 and have it bored to .338 Fed.. I really like the .358 Win. but already have a Whelen, so I thought I'd go with a different caliber for kicks.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well browning had made the BLR in 358 and I think they still do. I do not know about the 338 Federal
Henry might consider doing one as a custom job, Especially if you were to send them the barrel blank.

So before you make your decision I'd suggest you call both of the companies and talk to their shop managers or custom order departments. You may find one or the other to be more accommodating then you thought they would be.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I too am looking at the Henry Long Ranger.... and I want it in a 338 federal if I could get it... .358 would work too... but I prefer the 338 federal. If they can make a .308 they can make a .338.

Let us know how you make out.

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Blr all the way. I know a couple guys that had the long ranger...minute of barn was all they could muster

Henry may be American made ..but that doesn't mean they aren't junk

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I just went to look. Yup Browning still makes a BLR in 358

https://www.browning.com/products/f...on/blr-lightweight-with-pistol-grip.html

IC B2

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Henry’s .22s are low quality fwiw. They purchased a design from a foreign interest if memory serves. I’ve never had much interest in their other items.

GOD Bless America
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have owned both of these chambered in .308 Win....My Henry was very accurate indeed but I still liked my BLR rifles better 👍......Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are quite a few reviews and tests out there on the Long Ranger. Many of them conducted by people and organizations who aren't hesitant to call crap crap. It seems the overwhelming majority really like the Long Ranger. Looks like it is an inch to inch and a half type gun in the accuracy department. https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gun-review-henry-long-ranger-308-rifle-2/

As is often the case, the negative comments come from people who do not own one, have not shot one, have never handled one, are predisposed to disliking the product and are reporting on what they heard their cousin Festus heard someone at the range say about the one their friend's uncle had.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 09/14/19.
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
What i said was true. Can’t remember the companies name that first made the pot metal lever action 22s but I think it was w German. Regardless Henry re-badged them and presto...the birth of a gun company.

No idea on the Lone Ranger...Henry anything is not my jam hence I didn’t comment on that gun.

Just realized how that sounded...it’s not that I don’t like Henry as a company...I just am more into bolt actions

Last edited by Quak; 09/14/19.

GOD Bless America
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Blr all the way. I know a couple guys that had the long ranger...minute of barn was all they could muster

Henry may be American made ..but that doesn't mean they aren't junk

THIS...exactly.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Quak
What i said was true. Can’t remember the companies name that first made the pot metal lever action 22s but I think it was w German. Regardless Henry re-badged them and presto...the birth of a gun company.

No idea on the Lone Ranger...Henry anything is not my jam hence I didn’t comment on that gun.

Just realized how that sounded...it’s not that I don’t like Henry as a company...I just am more into bolt actions

I can't remember where I read it, but some guy documented a LONG torture test into the 10's of thousands of rounds on a pot metal Henry 22. After every so many thousands of rounds, he disassembled it and took measurements. The gun never gave up or went out of tolerance. It turns out that the 22 long rifle doesn't need to be built like a .460 Weatherby and that the pot metal/advanced lightweight alloy will last much longer than 99.923% of shooters need it to.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
getting a second magazine for the Henry is next to imposable . feeding might be an issue in the Henry. the Blr has been done, I saw the 338 for sale for just yesterday.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have never understood the hatred of Henry 22s. I have a 22 mag with the octogon barrel and it's squirrel head accurate at 50 yards. Is it an Anschutz? No, but I didn't pay anywhere near that much either. Add a Vortex rimfire scope and it's a fun to carry and shoot little lever. I bought the one for me after getting my daughter a youth model and liking hers.

“Lighten up Francis”
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

I can't remember where I read it, but some guy documented a LONG torture test into the 10's of thousands of rounds on a pot metal Henry 22. After every so many thousands of rounds, he disassembled it and took measurements. The gun never gave up or went out of tolerance. It turns out that the 22 long rifle doesn't need to be built like a .460 Weatherby and that the pot metal/advanced lightweight alloy will last much longer than 99.923% of shooters need it to.

Acceptably durable cheaply made gun...got it

Last edited by Quak; 09/14/19.

GOD Bless America
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by micky
I have never understood the hatred of Henry 22s. I have a 22 mag with the octogon barrel and it's squirrel head accurate at 50 yards. Is it an Anschutz? No, but I didn't pay anywhere near that much either. Add a Vortex rimfire scope and it's a fun to carry and shoot little lever. I bought the one for me after getting my daughter a youth model and liking hers.

I dont think its hatred per say...i myself dont hate them. To be honest I'm just not into lever action rifles though so my opinion really doesn't matter. I have heard many owners insisting though that they are every bit as good as 39s and 9422s...which is just not true..and i think that steams some people.

GOD Bless America
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
the quality of the Browning BLR rifles is so much better than any Henry rifle made,there is no way i would spend any money on Henry rifles. i own 4 BLR`S all shoot excellent and are very well made too,buy a BLR you will be much more happy with your hard earned money.i own some Henry 22`s they are not near as good a rifle as a Marlin 39A either.

Last edited by pete53; 09/14/19.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Erma Werke of Germany was the company that used to make the rifle. It was sold for a time as the Erma model 73, imported by Ithaca as the model 72 saddle gun in the '70's and also by Iver Johnson. The thing is it was designed by Anthony Imperato's father in the first place and the design was sold to Erma. Anthony Imperato, in case you didn't know is the current owner, CEO and founder of Henry Repeating Arms. Anthony bought the design back from Erma to produce it here and start Henry Repeating arms. I know several people who have the Henry .22 Lever guns and are very happy with them, including my son. I have shot my sons extensively. It functions perfectly and is more accurate than my old Marlin 39. I don't know what more you could ask for given the price.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by pete53
the quality of the Browning BLR rifles is so much better than any Henry rifle made,there is no way i would spend any money on Henry rifles. i own 4 BLR`S all shoot excellent and are very well made too,buy a BLR you will be much more happy with your hard earned money.i own some Henry 22`s they are not near as good a rifle as a Marlin 39A either.
If you like a flashy, neon sign, pimp gun with a horrible trigger the BLR is your huckleberry.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

My dad bought one of those under the Ithaca brand about 40 years or more ago. By brother has it now. It is still cranking out accurate shots to this day and always functions. If it is pot metal I can't tell it. Also, my brother got a letter from the owner of Henry stating his father designed the gun and had it built in Germany.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by pete53
If you like a flashy, neon sign, pimp gun with a horrible trigger the BLR is your huckleberry.

I like the look of the BLR, but the Henry I looked at had a better trigger and felt good in the hands.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (Akhutr, 10gaugemag, Anaconda, 6MMWASP, 6 invisible), 1,616 guests, and 787 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,202
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.