Print Thread
Hop To
D
DrGnarr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Hey all. I’m looking for some new cold weather clothing. I’ve narrowed it down to the Kryptek Aegis or Vellus and was wondering if there is anyone who has both or has tried both that could give me their opinion. I can’t decide between the two. Thanks in advance.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have been wearing the Vellus pants and coat for about three years now as part of my cold weather gear. They have done very well in keeping me comfortable with layering in temps to -10. When it get colder than that I go to my Cabelas Berber fleece pants and jacket or my cabelas 050 coat. I also have a pair of Cadog pants that I wear under those same conditions and they have a slicker outer shell that repels burrs better.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've been wearing the Vellus pants here on whitetail stand. I like them. I have the coat in my cart to buy,but keep looking at the Sanctuary instead. You might give it a look. Depends how much walking you do I reckon.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I use new army cold weather clothing. Buy surplus a fraction of the cost of the name brand stuff.!! Hunting in Chicken three years ago, I had to take the Cabelas best guy back to the cabin! It was only -22 and he was freezing his arass off!

D
DrGnarr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Still debating. Anyone else have any input?

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I don't have any experience with the Aegis. Was facing the same decision as you and ended up choosing the Vellus. They seem to be of the same construction and built for the same conditions, with the difference being the Vellus outer layer is a lot quieter fleece, where the Aegis is not. Whether I got it right or not, I'm very happy with the Vellus jacket and pants. Also have the Kratos jacket, which is very light and packable, in case I need to layer in real extreme conditions, along with some other pieces to trade in and out as conditions dictate. Hope this helps.

EDIT: You might also want to give a hard look at the Cadog jacket and pants as your outer layer if you will be doing a lot of stand sitting. I have the pants, but doubt that I will ever use them since I'm a still hunter and they are just too warm for that.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 09/14/19.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
D
DrGnarr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
^^^
So, you think the cadog is warmer than the vellus? The cadog isn’t waterproof which is why I wasn’t considering it.
Is the vellus good for sitting in stand or is it better for still hunting?
I’m really looking for something for more standing, less moving, as opposed to more moving, less standing.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
The Cadog garments are definitely warmer than the Vellus garments. However, I believe the Vellus is more versatile. It is very warm in it's own right and can be layered with Merino wool and puffies or a Njord vest if the need arises. It is very quiet in addition to being windproof and waterproof. Speaking of waterproof, I haven't been in a steady all day deluge yet, but it has performed well in a few heavy showers so far. I believe that for the temps you would require the Cadog for, any precipitation would be in the form of snow rather than a drenching rain.

I think the bottom line is, if you want something primarily for sitting on stand, then the Cadog, with possible a seperate rain shell. Or, the Vellus as part of a versatile layering system ( that's the option I would choose) would be your best option as far as Kryptek goes. Of course, if you have a strenuous walk to your stand wearing the Cadogs, you could quite possibly overheat. You might want to keep that in mind and plan accordingly. Maybe dress lighter for the hike in and put on the Cadogs once at your stand and your temp is regulated.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
D
DrGnarr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Went for the Vellus. It’s the bomb. Warm enough...easily able to sit 3+ hours in 25 degrees with some layers. Could have sat longer.

Not too hot to move about at a slow pace.

Fleece is quiet and tough.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

70 members (bcraig, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 264mag, 12 invisible), 1,050 guests, and 718 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,488
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.