Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I am curious why the Browning hump back has almost cult status but the Remington practically none. I have a really beat up 16 that I am trying to decide if it is worth restoring. Mechanically it seems fine but would need a new stock and re-blueing. My just cold blue it and cobble the stock up to get it usable again.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Remington lacks the refinements of the Belgian Auto Five. Not that the Model 11 wouldn't work in a duck blind, because it certainly will.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good solid guns. My dad has a couple with a million rounds through them.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've got 3 Belgium A5s and 1 Jap A5 along with 2 Rem 11s. The only real difference I see between them is no magazine cut-off on the Remingtons. They are all fine shotguns. It is getting hard to get parts for the Remingtons as A5 parts don't readily interchange. You can still get A5 parts from Art's, but he and his family may not be around for ever. If you own an A5, might be a good idea to go ahead and get an action and recoil spring while still available, maybe even a friction piece. I have laid back a few spare parts and springs for mine. Browning no longer supports any parts for the A5.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Magazine cutoff, speed feed, engraving and blue quality on the metal work along with better checkering on the stocks are differences between the two.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
I just bought one in 16 gauge. Have yet to shoot it. It should make a dandy small game shotgun.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I got a 12 ga m11, 12 and 20ga Belgians A5s and a 12 and 16 ga savage 755as. Guess i like them.. Mel

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The engraving on the A5s was head and shoulders above everything else in that time period or now as far as that goes. The magazine cutoff was something I have never used in the 40 years I've hunted with A5s, although I see where it might be very handy in a duck blind when geese may present a change in shells. I've had several M11s apart and haven't found them lacking in any way as far as machining. The higher grade m11s will give the A5 a run for their money in stock work finish and engraving, but most people bought the lower grade m11 as a utilitarian shotgun. All the better manufacturers, Winchester and Ithaca for example all had bluing, machining and stock work would rival the Brownings. It seemed gun makers took a lot of pride in their workmanship in those days.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I used to have a 12, have a 16 now, both good quail/dove guns for me.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Finally got to shoot my model 11 today. Despite it being a full choke shotgun, I shot it pretty well, breaking a lot of clays. It functioned flawlessly with two different loads. I expect this shotgun to accompany me on many hunts and range sessions. I am considering opening the choke a bit to somewhere around a modified. Perhaps Briley thin walls? Anyone have an opinion or experience on this?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got one in 20ga that was given to me. The original barrel is cylinder bore and I picked up a 30" full barrel for $50 a few years back. The full barrel has brought some squirrels out of some pretty tall trees.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is the 16 gauge Model 11 standard weight or is it lightened like the Belgian Sweet Sixteen? A 26" plain barrel Sweet Sixteen weighed around 6 3 /4 lb. and handled like a magic wand on fast moving critters.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have 2 M11's one a 32" and the other a 30" full chokes both have solid ribs. They run fine as long as you keep them clean. All ways liked them and Browning A-5's. Don't mess with the choke find some older Federal shot shells before they had plastic wads or load your own with nitro cards and fiber wads with no shot protection you will get modified performance then. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a Remington Model 11 12 gauge with 2 barrels, a modified and an improved cylinder. I like that old shotgun.

μολὼν λαβέ
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by MOGC
Magazine cutoff, speed feed, engraving and blue quality on the metal work along with better checkering on the stocks are differences between the two.

This pretty much sums it up except the Speed Feed did not appear until 1953, five years after M-11 production ended.

The M-11 was built under license for FN to circumvent U.S. import tariffs. It was a more utilitarian design so as to not compete with the FN model which was still imported though in limited numbers. The Remington did switch from an inside the trigger guard safety of one sort or another to a crossbolt safety before FN did which is/was a bonus. This feature was kept on the "American Browning" made by Remington from 1939-1946 or so and retained when production of the A-5 resumed at FN.

I've owned most of the variations of A-5s over the years along with a handful of M-11s, a couple Savages, and a Japanese knockoff imported by Garcia. All but two A-5s have hit the road and only one is likely to remain in the future. They are complicated compared to many of today's guns but they have proven to be reliable.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Yep, love em

Papa bought one ( 12ga. ), after picking cotton, when he was 13 ( 1921 ).
Utilitarian, when compared to a Belgian Browning, but every bit as reliable.

He later bought a Browning Sweet 16. Many many many quail, dove, ducks, pheasant, and geese have fallen, to both.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Have only one M11, a 16 ga. It is no beauty queen, but after fixing a broken extractor, it is just as reliable as my auto 5’s. I saw one in 12 ga with a solid rib that I still kick myself for not buying. It had beautiful wood and some engraving and priced not much more than an 870 express. I did some research and went back but it was long gone.

CK
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Bought a really clean 16 ga. from a fire member a few years ago and it has accounted for it’s share of pheasants. Would sure like to have an open choke barrel for quail.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Growing up, I walked alongside my grandpa for many miles hunting pheasant as he carried his M11 16 gauge. That gun went bang every time he pulled the trigger over the years.

Never heard about A-5’s until a I got older. For me, I have lots of love for the M11, and very little for the A-5. Nothing against the A5, it is arguably mechanically and definitely value wise superior.

That gun fired its last shot about 5 years ago on a pheasant hunt as grandpa sat in a chair and blocked the end of a field 3 generations of us were hunting. He missed that bird but had a great big smile on his face.

He passed away on Memorial Day this year and that M11 is still waiting to find its home as family sorts through his belongings. If it doesn’t someday find its way to my safe, I will definitely be finding another.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is the weight of the Model 11 16 gauge the same as the standard 16 Auto Five? Or the weight of a Sweet Sixteen?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
705 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 77 invisible), 2,942 guests, and 1,375 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,678
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.