Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I have carried a Stainless Ruger SP101 hammerless 2" .357 for 25 years. Slips easily in back pocket and is always handy.

Same is available in .22LR.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LCR 22lr

Plenty for halibut, seals, and gut eaters. 😁

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

S&W AirLite 22; quality 9-shot revolver. 11 oz. Used to be able to get the 3” barrel. I don’t know if that’s still available — looks like 2-2 1/2” now. That was my kit gun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ruger Wrangler

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With my luck, what’s the easiest to clean of it gets dunked?

Semi or revolver?

In MS a fishing gun is for snakes. No man eating critters.

Been thinking of a ruger revolver, lcrx? In 22mag.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If it's for snakes and you plan on shot loads I'd go .38 Special. The .38 shot load is a quite noticeable step up from the rimfire shot loads.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not necessarily shot loads.

Hard bullets.

The lcrx .38 alloy or does it step up to steel?

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The .22 LR and Magnum along with the .38 Special are alloy. The .327, .357 and 9mm are steel frames.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Responses clearly show the best choice depends on what threat you might encounter, with the biggest being a griz of some flavor, and perhaps the most dangerous being a man intending harm. Seems a crazy fishing endeavor, or at least a shame, where truly dangerous people must be considered, but it is what it is.

I'd take plinking out of the equation. YMMV, but if I'm fishing, I'm fishing. But if small game is a consideration, then plinking of a sort is back on the table.

If snakes are the only consideration, then a question is are you shooting at any "bad" snakes you see, or only those that somehow wind up too close for comfort. If the latter, I'd seriously consider a shot load of some kind.

If not fishing, but hunting, then is your primary a rifle or shotgun, how big, yada, yada, yada.

Edit to add: The OP was too broad a question, but perhaps he was looking for things to consider in addition to guns to consider.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 09/15/19.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
^^^^^^^^
I have no clue where my "new" avatar came from. I never had one to start with, and WTF with that one.
Edit to add: Clearly I'm not the only one with the avatar issue.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 09/15/19.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can opt out.
I took a stock one.

Living on wild side for awhile.😉

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
Responses clearly show the best choice depends on what threat you might encounter, with the biggest being a griz of some flavor, and perhaps the most dangerous being a man intending harm. Seems a crazy fishing endeavor, or at least a shame, where truly dangerous people must be considered, but it is what it is.

I'd take plinking out of the equation. YMMV, but if I'm fishing, I'm fishing. But if small game is a consideration, then plinking of a sort is back on the table.

If snakes are the only consideration, then a question is are you shooting at any "bad" snakes you see, or only those that somehow wind up too close for comfort. If the latter, I'd seriously consider a shot load of some kind.

If not fishing, but hunting, then is your primary a rifle or shotgun, how big, yada, yada, yada.

Edit to add: The OP was too broad a question, but perhaps he was looking for things to consider in addition to guns to consider.

I don’t know about the OP’s area but the lake where I take my boy fishing all the time has a network of two tracks around it that crisscross through some seriously overgrown and wild areas. It’s only 2 miles from town but rather wild and secluded due to overgrowth and rough and rutted access. Methheads love these kind of places to set up mobile labs which they don’t like people snooping around. We haven’t found anything and don’t go looking for it and keep to ourselves when we see people down there, but I do know guys who’ve stumbled onto these type of operations around here. For that reason I always have some kind f centerfire handgun with me and more often than not an AR and a few mags. I’m not going to quit fishing because of them but I’ll darn sure go prepared to deal with some weirdo.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Someone I know real well spends a lot of time fly fishing rivers in eastern Idaho and western Wyoming. You might think that bears would be his main concern - but actually, it's moose that make him nervous. They sneak up on him all the time. It's the moose that convinced him to carry a big bore revolver. Convinced me too. Make mine a stainless DA Ruger. Easy to deep clean after a swim. Any number of rust resistant heavy loaded 45acp or 10mm would also suffice.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most of the time when I fish, I've got the LC9S in my belt. Just like when I'm mowing, picking up bags of salt at Menards, or whatever

I'd love to live in a world where guys spend a day fishing here and there, and potting a grouse for camp supper with a kit gun .22. It just doesn't work that way in my neighborhood.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was fishing in a county park near Waterville IA a couple of years ago. I was alarmed after hearing a car pull in, to see 3 large pit bulls running my way unattended.

Had my hand on the LC9S when I realized these dogs wanted to play friendly like.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
How about this thing. grin You could kill a lot of fish with it.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...298/re-mossberg-590-mariner#Post14130298

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's a wooded ridge trail not far from my home and we walk it occasionally. I loved to carry a .22 revolver and plink with it while walking. The near end of the trail is across a neighbor's farm, and I walk his line fence to access it.

I put night sights on my 1911 after a chance meeting with his "escape artist" Holstein bull, while coming off the trail one night. I also learned that at nearly 50 years of age I could still jump a fence with one hand on a post. Wouldn't care to try it now.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by TheKid

I don’t know about the OP’s area but the lake where I take my boy fishing all the time has a network of two tracks around it that crisscross through some seriously overgrown and wild areas. It’s only 2 miles from town but rather wild and secluded due to overgrowth and rough and rutted access. Methheads love these kind of places to set up mobile labs which they don’t like people snooping around. We haven’t found anything and don’t go looking for it and keep to ourselves when we see people down there, but I do know guys who’ve stumbled onto these type of operations around here. For that reason I always have some kind f centerfire handgun with me and more often than not an AR and a few mags. I’m not going to quit fishing because of them but I’ll darn sure go prepared to deal with some weirdo.

We live in Meth central. Anytime I'm riding fire roads on my dual sport, there's a handgun, easily accessible in my tankbag, and it's not for snakes and bears.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

After thinking about this, I'd like to amend it a bit. Whatever else you have loaded, if there is a good chance of a bad snake surprising you too close for comfort, perhaps the first shot or two should be a shot load. After those, then the next most likely threat will determine.
Based on recent responses, I guess the combination of rural areas and meth have changed things compared to the past. I wonder if moonshiners were/are a bit easier to get along with? blush

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Airweight snubby .38 special with the first two rounds loaded with CCI shot rounds. Remaining chambers loaded with 135 grain Speer +P Gold Dot short barrel.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
362 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 44 invisible), 2,256 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,599
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.