Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
I can't answer for Dennis on this. When I did my Favorite I found an elderly gentleman in Grand Prairie, Texas that sold NOS Stevens parts. I need to search for his contact and put it close in hand. They are neat little rifles.

Basically a falling block .22. I am really excited about it. Very high quality.

Yes Sir, I know the Favorites. I did one a few years ago for my best friend. This is another place for Favorite parts.
http://www.wisnersinc.com/model/stevens-favorite-1889-1894-1915/
Saddlesore, 2 months turn around ain't bad and he was able to fix the firing pin and rollingblock problem while he had it. Should have it in a week or two.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Thanks Butch.When had Taylor do my 38-40, it was just shy of a year.

I will be at the range tomorrow tinkering with this 38-55. That will help me decide to re-line or not.

Muledeer suggested I try Dyna Tec on the bore first.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by saddlesore

I will be at the range tomorrow tinkering with this 38-55. That will help me decide to re-line or not.

How did it shoot? I hope the RB comes today, if not Monday.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

The Dyna Tec has helped with the fouling. I ran about 30 rounds thru it without any of them keyholing, but they were mild loads. Right now, I don't know if the key holing was due to excessive lead fouling or undersized bullets. I need to find some .381 diameter bullets to see if that will improve things. I will be ordering some .380's Monday. If they don't workout, I will order some not sized and have the guy powder coat them. Should bring them up to.381

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B

The Dyna Tec has helped with the fouling. I ran about 30 rounds thru it without any of them keyholing, but they were mild loads. Right now, I don't know if the key holing was due to excessive lead fouling or undersized bullets. I need to find some .381 diameter bullets to see if that will improve things. I will be ordering some .380's Monday. If they don't workout, I will order some not sized and have the guy powder coat them. Should bring them up to.381

Someplace in one of my drawers I have several rounds of 9.3X55 marked ammo. It is loaded in 38-55 brass. I know nothing about them. It came from the estate of one of my old shooting friends.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Someplace in one of my drawers I have several rounds of 9.3X55 marked ammo. It is loaded in 38-55 brass. I know nothing about them. It came from the estate of one of my old shooting friends.

The 9.3 is indeed .376 which I hear newer 38-55's are. (Like Winchester's.375) . Older ones tend to be on the.379-.380 diameter.Wonder how case dimensions compare.

However, I have only been in this 38-55 business a few months and slowly finding out that there is a lot that I don't know about what I don't know. grin

A few years ago I came into possession of a Single Action Colt in about1900 mfgr. Part of it was pre smokeless and the part that mattered was smokeless. . I had heck of a time matching bullets.The cylinder was 38-40 sized, but the barrel was .401. It turned out thru research that Colt had lot more .401 barrels than 38-40 so they used them instead..The biggest cast bullet could get chambered was .403. I got it shooting, but POI is 2'' high and 3"left. I can't find any lighter bullets than the std 180gr to get it to shoot lower,and no one wants to turn the barrel to correct the windage. Then I had Taylor reline the Marlin 94 and it takes smaller bullet .Decided then to not get into custom bullet molds and bullet casting.

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/25/19.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Function tested it today. It shoots great with the old sights just where they were before sending it out. Offhand at 30yds I hit a tin can.
I'm happy. I'm going to try to redo the original wood and then off to Turnbull.

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Dennis called and sait it was done. I may have mentioned that he bushed and remachined the rolling block face and made a new firing pin for it. Hope to have it back in a couple weeks.

Good Heavens, that didn't take long at all!!

That sounds like the makings of a heck of a small game rifle. The .32H&R has always intrigued me. I've been wanting one. I just missed an 1885 on Gunbroker, and I'm still kicking myself.

Do we get to see some pictures??

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by J23
Dennis called and said it was done. I may have mentioned that he bushed and remachined the rolling block face and made a new firing pin for it. Hope to have it back in a couple weeks.

That sounds like the makings of a heck of a small game rifle. The .32H&R has always intrigued me. I've been wanting one. I just missed an 1885 on Gunbroker, and I'm still kicking myself.

I am famous for posting photos, but my hosting places, photobucket and TinyPic have been taken over by Google. I can no longer post them or email them. I guess I need to get my Great Grand Daughter to help me get it straightened out.
Yes, they have disappeared from my computer. I think they are on my hard drive.

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by J23
Dennis called and said it was done. I may have mentioned that he bushed and remachined the rolling block face and made a new firing pin for it. Hope to have it back in a couple weeks.

I am famous for posting photos, but my hosting places, photobucket and TinyPic have been taken over by Google. I can no longer post them or email them. I guess I need to get my Great Grand Daughter to help me get it straightened out.
Yes, they have disappeared from my computer. I think they are on my hard drive.

I'm about the furthest thing from computer savvy. I've been using that Imgur app, and it works great.

Now you got me hunting #2's on GB!! Thanks alot.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

IC B3

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
By the way, what are you going to do for a sight on that #2? I can't seem to find any tang sights that would fit?

Ted Nugent

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by J23
By the way, what are you going to do for a sight on that #2? I can't seem to find any tang sights that would fit?

Since it is a tin can shooter the factory sights are good enough for me.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

612 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 2,081 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,276
Posts18,448,425
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.