Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
There was no intention....

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by dhart
Big salmon and huge halibut. Everyone wants that when they head for Alaska. I was lucky enough to spend about six weeks up there this summer. One day I was fishing for grayling off the Denali Highway. I was catching a ton of tiny ones and the biggest were about 11 inches. I was kind of thinking that I sure wish the fish were bigger. I stepped away from the creek for a couple minutes and took a couple scenery pictures. I took a minute to look around at the spectacular beauty around me and kind of did a reboot. I thought, "you are fishing for wild grayling in an unnamed creek in the middle of the most beautiful country you've ever seen and you are in Alaska!" Suddenly the size of the fish didn't matter and I spent the rest of my time up there just soaking in the experience. I caught some good fish too but after my reboot, that wasn't nearly as important.

Just focus on the experience of being there and you will have a ball! Maybe you will even catch a big king or a huge halibut and that will just be icing on the cake.

Good man.

50+ years here and I've not caught a big halibut over 108 or king salmon over 50 - and that only 48... Who cares? I'm here.

I'm Alaskan by choice, and would not be any other place. Well, maybe northern Idaho, if I had to. But I don't.

Last edited by las; 08/25/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'll just say if I never caught another fish, or killed another animal up here, I'd be just as happy that I'm here just taking it all in from day to day.

The rest, if any, simply gravy.

Heck the lights could keep me mesmerized the rest of my life as it is.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Two trips needed imo. One to Icy Strait for Hali with a few GAF. Then a trip to Kodiak for giant kings.

You can hook into a giant Hali or king in a lot of spots, but if you are serious it takes time and money.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I’ve seen some of his posts before and I thought his issue was with Art for whatever reason but then I saw his response to Rost and was wondering what was up with him.

ETA.....I don’t mean to imply that Art had it coming.......but he did. 😂. Just kidding of course, I enjoy Art’s contribution here.
He hates Alaskans because he can't live up to what it means to be one. Ignore his posts, it will make your life better for doing so.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Calvin
Two trips needed imo. One to Icy Strait for Hali with a few GAF. Then a trip to Kodiak for giant kings.

You can hook into a giant Hali or king in a lot of spots, but if you are serious it takes time and money.

And I'd offer if not lucky, IE your luck is like mine, make that a lot of time and a lot of money.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
For me big halibut go back, catching or fighting halibut is not as fun as other fish. They’re my least favorite to fish for and my favorite to eat.

I’ve yet to land a 50# king, specifically a 50# saltwater king. I’ve hooked some big kings on the Vedder back in the day but they turned down river and I never saw them or the skin on my thumb again. 😁

I’ve battled all kinds of fish and of the ones I’ve fought I’d say pound for pound a sturgeon or yellowtail are my favorite. I’m always up for catching new fish so hopefully I’ll get to have an even more informed opinion when I’m older. That’s the plan anyway. 😁

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
For me big halibut go back, catching or fighting halibut is not as fun as other fish. They’re my least favorite to fish for and my favorite to eat.

I’ve yet to land a 50# king, specifically a 50# saltwater king. I’ve hooked some big kings on the Vedder back in the day but they turned down river and I never saw them or the skin on my thumb again. 😁

I’ve battled all kinds of fish and of the ones I’ve fought I’d say pound for pound a sturgeon or yellowtail are my favorite. I’m always up for catching new fish so hopefully I’ll get to have an even more informed opinion when I’m older. That’s the plan anyway. 😁

Yes, for the price I can get for, I'll never fish halibut again.... I do Dig trolling for salt salmon....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

I don't know if I would go to Kodiak to catch giant Kings. I have lived in Kodiak for 35+ years and fish for salmon and Halibut 3 to 4 days a week all summer. While there are kings here I don't think that a very high percentage of them are huge.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 14Homer

I don't know if I would go to Kodiak to catch giant Kings. I have lived in Kodiak for 35+ years and fish for salmon and Halibut 3 to 4 days a week all summer. While there are kings here I don't think that a very high percentage of them are huge.

I agree...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 58 invisible), 2,177 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,361
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.