Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Anyone having issues with enlarged primer pockets with Federal brass? I have loaded Remington brass with the same exact charge and primers but no issues present. Standard reloading manual charges.

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
BP-B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
How many times have you fired the Federal cases in order to get the enlarged pockets?

But the simply answer for me is Yes, I've found Federal brass to be softer in the pockets than most others. But not the Lake City brass loaded by Federal, that is tough stuff.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Once fired.

Oscar Wilde~~
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Maybe you got a soft batch. I’ve had good luck with Fed brass.

May want to give them a call.

Let us know what you find out.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Just because the load is safe in Remington brass does not mean it won't cause pressure problems in Federaf brass. If you want to use Federal brass, retest your load, or buy Reminton brass.

IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The loads are under the max too. The primer just falls out with the slightest wiggle. Federal may receive a ring and get the heads-up.

Oscar Wilde~~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
.223 perhaps? Seems to be a pretty common complaint, a lot of AR guys won't use Federal.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
.223 perhaps? Seems to be a pretty common complaint, a lot of AR guys won't use Federal.

I use federal in my AR's. It works great. In other chamberings, not so much: always get loose primer pockets...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
We always had problems with soft federal 223 brass (loose primers) when I shot highpower.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

270 WSM, but I do use 223 Lake City which has had no problems.

Oscar Wilde~~
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With so much other stuff to choose from, I try to avoid using Fed brass for that very reason.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
I've never had any issues with Fed brass as long as the load chronographed in the ballpark with other loads/brass. It never requires as much powder.

I use it because I get 308's, 223's, 9mm, 40's and 45 ACP's by the bucketload.
The rifle brass usually has lower runout than the garbage turned out by Winchester and Remington.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Federal brass i have used it to load hunting ammo or sometimes Winchester or Remington too,but for trying to shoot small groups with my bench rifles i only use Lapua brass then. Federal is fine for just regular target shooting with hunting and black rifles.

Last edited by pete53; 09/16/19.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry

Often loaded pretty hot, even in factory ammunition.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I bought some once fired Federal Gold Medal brass from a long time member here that no longer posts (quit just after I bought the brass). The cases without a fired primer wouldn't hold a primer in it, they fell back out. I used some of the better? brass and tossed the rest.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have only used Fed. brass from factory loads. In almost all instance the capacity was less than Winchester or Remington. The loads your using may be red lined already and you just don't see it due to harder brass and/or larger capacity.

With the WSMs I have seen more variation in case neck thickness than any other cartridge families. One early lot of Winchester looked like they were made from full lenth 404 Jeffrey cases. This batch was so thick I ended up turning the necks for peace of mind.

Due to experiences like yours I give away any Fed. brass I encounter. I like Lake City though. The few times I worked with Federal cases they seemed uniform. In factory form they shot closer to specified velocity than most other American loads, accuracy was good too.

Last edited by Tejano; 09/16/19.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry

Often loaded pretty hot, even in factory ammunition.

This too. Loading to a full 65,000 psi seems questionable as at that pressure slight variations can jack pressure up to too high. Case capacity, powder lot, fouled bore, high temperatures can put a hot load over the line.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
4 out of twenty thus far, tossed them, no since fiddling. Nice to know others have had similar experiences. I would buy Norma or Nosler but will have to wait, maybe prices will drop. For my purposes, Federal will be okay.

Oscar Wilde~~
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I usually find that Federal brass is heavier and requires just a bit less powder for the same velocity. If I had a “max load” in Winchester brass, I would back off a grain or grain and a half if loading the federal brass.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Graf & Sons have some Winchester brass in stock, good price too.

[quote= Federal brass is heavier and requires just a bit less powder for the same velocity. [/quote]

I agree I have always found Winchester brass to be a bit thinner, except for the WSSM'S, necks could be thinner in the WSSM'S. Have not seen the Winchester in WSM though.

Oscar Wilde~~
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
634 members (257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,965 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,664
Posts18,399,333
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.