Hop To
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
F
fburgtx Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Anybody watching?? Have you noticed EVERY PBS special has to make a point of overemphasizing race, anymore?? For chrissakes......

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wanted to watch it. I didn't realize it started tonight

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Aren't we calling ken burns a commie this month?

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
I'm watching it now. Lots of information I was unaware of.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Anybody watching?? Have you noticed EVERY PBS special has to make a point of overemphasizing race, anymore?? For chrissakes......

Yup, consider the source.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by slumlord
Aren't we calling ken burns a commie this month?

I am.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
as am i. very interesting

FJB
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

The wright museum in Kitty hawk reopened after being renovated. Half the displays are tributes yo minority and women aviators. Nothing to do with the wright brothers.
Everything has to include the importance of the the African American contribution these days.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good so far

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One of the few times I wish I had PBS. 😢

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I downloaded the PBS app so I can binge watch it

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Is there a Hank Williams Jr. segment?

Nancy Sinatra should cry foul...

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Was sitting here with popcorn and a Rum & Coke. Thoroughly enjoyable. Learned a lot about Jimmie Rogers.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KFWA

Do you have to pay for it ???

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Let me guess. It all started with blues and black people and their amazing talent. Lol

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Even though only about 5 black people in the whole country like country music lol

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You forgot about Charlie Pride. That makes 6. 🤠

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JeffyD
Was sitting here with popcorn and a Rum & Coke. Thoroughly enjoyable. Learned a lot about Jimmie Rogers.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I get sick of all the black BS.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by KFWA

Do you have to pay for it ???

no, you just have to activate it - at least on an Android device

Last edited by KFWA; 09/16/19.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Enjoyed the first part, will likely enjoy the rest of it too. As long as they don't eventually postulate that some A-rab was responsible for [bleep] kickin' music? Including the contributions of negroes in the early foundations of the music, didn't bother me none. That's something few were ever aware of, given the social climate of the times.

The segments of how the Carter Family and Jimmie Rodgers were discovered during recording sessions in Bristol, TN, were very interesting.

Remember my dad telling me about listening to radio broadcasts of the Opry on a battery powered radio, back in the early 1930s. Uncle Dave Macon and the rest. One of his older brothers bought the radio and they all gathered on Sat. nights to listen. House they lived in up in Potter Co. PA, had no electricity at the time. Much of that rural area had no electricity, until REA came into being during FDR's administration.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
I’ve got no issue with them mentioning it here or there, but if they have a documentary about jazz, they don’t spend time talking about the sax and the trumpet being “European instruments”. They keep showing some mixed race gal, who I’ve never heard, babbling on about nothing, when they could be showing some real historians. If she actually had some real FACTS, it might be a worthwhile inclusion, but it just seems more like a “Hey, here’s a black person who listens to country music!”, thing...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm the same way with the blacks inclusion in everything. By watching commercials you'd think they constitute over 50% of the population.

They can't even make a Robin Hood or Medieval movie without including them in it.

The revisionist version of history is out of control also.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Caught most of it last night. It was pretty good. I've always been interested in the roots of that stuff and how it developed over the years and before radio and records gave it mass exposure. Lots of it I never had knowledge of; like the Jimmie Rodgers stuff. In the late 19th and early 20th century a lot of the old oral tradition stuff was dying out and got saved by folks who put it all down on paper for posterity. Lots of it did have roots in the black community, but not all of it. A lot of it's based on very old Irish / Scots / English songs that migrated here and got blended in with other stuff. The history of all this is fascinating even if you like history but aren't into the music.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

I watched some of it. They started off talking about how the banjo came from Africa, and that African Americans had a profound influence on country music. BUT.... African Americans are usually not given credit for their contributions.

So, right off the bat country music fans are a bunch of racists.

Then a few minutes later, they talked about how in the twenties this music was called hillbilly music. And that was an offensive term.
And on came Dolly Parton to explain that if you are an outsider and you call country music "Hillbilly" you are a racist.

And then I changed the channel. Good God on PBS every group is an offended minority.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

To my memory 'back in the day' the country music genre as a whole wasn't called just "Country Music" but "Country and Western".

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I watched and enjoyed the show. As to any bias, I didnt see any of that in this particular segment. It mainly focused on "hillbilly's" contribution to country music.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
It has been my experience that the average American, both left and right, gets their entire concepts of any form of history from either the television, video games, or comic books. And you might as well pull teeth from a chicken to try to convince them otherwise.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Anything Ken Burns does instantly goes on my "don't watch" list. My aunt was the only pianist with a regular spot on the Opry for over 30 years- - - -I could probably give you a more accurate history of country music based on my time spent backstage at the Ryman Auditorium in the mid-1950's than most of the so-called "historians" could. I'll bet none of them know that the 5-gallon glass jug "water cooler" backstage actually contained moonshine whiskey!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Ok, first off, I am not a PBS fan, although I did like Ken Burn's documentaries on the War Between the States and Baseball, so I watched last night, as I am a fan of the early country music.

So, not only "was we kings," but "we was also the inventors of country music."

In the year of Lord 2019, you must include the Negro in everything, except anything related to crime, or else you are a racist. In all fairness the Negroes have always been singers and musicians..........anything where there was no actual work involved, so you have to give credit where it is due. But, Burns most definitely overplays it, and anybody with half a brain knows it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

I watched some of it. They started off talking about how the banjo came from Africa, and that African Americans had a profound influence on country music. BUT.... African Americans are usually not given credit for their contributions.

Then a few minutes later, they talked about how in the twenties this music was called hillbilly music. And that was an offensive term.
And on came Dolly Parton to explain that if you are an outsider and you call country music "Hillbilly" you are a racist.

And then I changed the channel. Good God on PBS every group is an offended minority.

Did you really watch and listen? The city of Nashville had a problem with "hillbilly" music and wanted to change the impression the term gave. There were plenty of white people that didn't like the term way back then. Jeez, this place is full of conspiracy theorists.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
I watched it and enjoyed it thoroughly. I didn't know a lot about the Carter family or Jimmy Rogers.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'll bet they didn't mention Anita Carter running drunk and naked through a hotel lobby, being chased by one of the members of her band, who was also in his birthday suit, and sloshed to the max!
Jerry

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Was Little Jimmy Dickens and Shotgun Red on there?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
Was Little Jimmy Dickens and Shotgun Red on there?

I think they only covered up to 1933, so Little Jimmy should make the next one.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by joken2

To my memory 'back in the day' the country music genre as a whole wasn't called just "Country Music" but "Country and Western".

Yep,

even into the late 70's it was still called that

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
There's Bluegrass, like Flatt & Scruggs, etc. which has its roots in Appalacain Scot-Irish folk music. Then there's Jimmie Rodgers' depression-era train-riding hobo blues, and "Western Swing" from people like Bob Wills, and others from Texas and Oklahoma. Since the late 1960's and early 70's, nothing resembling real country music has been produced by anybody- - - -it's all high-tech special effects and cookie-cutter "artsts" who couldn't do a one-night stand with an acoustic guitar, a bass fiddle, a banjo, and a drummer in a backwoods Tennessee beer joint or dance hall if their lives depended on it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRQfLzwnBko

Jerry

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
There's Bluegrass, like Flatt & Scruggs, etc. which has its roots in Appalacain Scot-Irish folk music. Then there's Jimmie Rodgers' depression-era train-riding hobo blues, and "Western Swing" from people like Bob Wills, and others from Texas and Oklahoma. Since the late 1960's and early 70's, nothing resembling real country music has been produced by anybody- - - -it's all high-tech special effects and cookie-cutter "artsts" who couldn't do a one-night stand with an acoustic guitar, a bass fiddle, a banjo, and a drummer in a backwoods Tennessee beer joint or dance hall if their lives depended on it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRQfLzwnBko

Jerry

did you watch it?

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I have not watched any. PBS loves reruns so I'll likely see it at some point.

News, or entrainment, can not always be spot on. Burns has an agenda, Like I was told about this site, it's like eating wings, be ready to spit out the bones.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Tonight's episode is better than last night's.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Enjoyed it and I am not a country music fan.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Watched most of it again last night, recorded the rest for later. It's getting better, but I think they're leaving a lot of early artists and their music out, while concentrating on the better known ones.. Also, they're still pushing the Negroes, and implying as to how they had all this influence on country music, because it's always been the liberals desire to prop the Negroes up.

They had a long segment on Gene Autry, and being an Autry fan, I enjoyed that part. I had forgotten about his role in WW2 and the dangerous job he had. I cannot imagine a single one of todays celebrities or singers putting their career on hold, and joining the military to fight for the country.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I watched some of it last night but I turned it when they gave the credit to negroes for inventing it. Whites just ripped it off...

Typical pbs bullshit.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Wow. That was your takeaway?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

Yep.

Still can't understand the appeal of Minnie Pearl, either. 😂

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I watched some of it. Better than I thought it might be, just wait, it's bound to come.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Yep.

Still can't understand the appeal of Minnie Pearl, either. 😂

Me neither.

Least now we know where neegroes copied that "leavin dat price tag on muh nba hat"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I watched some of it last night but I turned it when they gave the credit to negroes for inventing it. Whites just ripped it off...

Typical pbs bullshit.

Okay......let's be honest about things, because with this being the year 2019, and political correctness being the norm, and the White man, and in particular the Southern Conservative White man, being the root of all the countries problems, we all know how that good liberal news outlet, PBS, is going to spin things.

So, with that out of the way, there is no doubt in my mind that Black folks, being the singers and musicians that many of them are, have had an influence on America's music. However, with Blacks being the percentage of the population that they are, that influence has not been as great as we have been led to believe. I have always liked country music, and I like the pre 1980's music better than the new stuff, and I like the history of the early days. It is my thinking that if Blacks had so much influence, then there would have been some Black country music performers before Charley Pride came along. But, there weren't, because they didn't go for country music, they were into the blues and jazz.

The list of great Black singers and musicians in blues and jazz, and later on rock and roll, is numerous, yet not so in country music......the music that Ken Burns and PBS would have us believe they helped invent. The damned liberals just cannot tell the truth, even though the truth is obvious here.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
If its that distasteful to you, maybe there would be something else to watch?

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I can already pat juba and dance just like this, but I’ve ALWAYS wanted to be able to play this type of banjo just like uncle John!!! laugh Suppose I’m too old a dawg to learn now. frown I wouldn’t know where to start.

Founder

WS

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I see it was written by David Dunkin, an Iowa boy. Dunkin wrote a book, "Miles from nowhere". about the American west. A bit dry reading, but good.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
I would love to learn to play the banjo.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
After Ken Burns tried to teach me that the real Vietnam War heroes were acid-dropping, lice infested, anti-American protesters, I rather lost interest in him.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I can already pat juba and dance just like this, but I’ve ALWAYS wanted to be able to play this type of banjo just like uncle John!!! laugh Suppose I’m too old a dawg to learn now. frown I wouldn’t know where to start.

whens u chillens get done stompin that chiggin shît flat, mama needs u to mash dem grapes in nem barrowels

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
After Ken Burns tried to teach me that the real Vietnam War heroes were acid-dropping, lice infested, anti-American protesters, I rather lost interest in him.

YES.

[Linked Image]
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I gets dem right awn it!

Founder

WS

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
How many of you have had a one-on-one conversation with Sarah Cannon when she was not in character as Minnie Pearl, like I have? A finer, more compassionate southern lady does not exist, then or now. The Vanderbilt Hospital cancer center bears her name, proudly.
Jerry

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I was going to mention the hospital, but I got sidetracked on the negroe price tag analogy.

Thanks for adding that back in.

Btw, it's over at the Centennial Tri-Star hospital, not Vanderbilt.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thanks for the correction. It's amusing, looking at the opinions of all these people who have no idea about the inner workings of the music business in Nashville. I could print out this thread and grind it up, and have some very good fertilizer for my garden!
Jerry

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If its that distasteful to you, maybe there would be something else to watch?

Here's my point.......if you're going to go to the trouble and expense of telling the history of something, then just be honest about it. Instead, they have to be politically correct and make sure that the White man is portrayed as being unable to invent a form of music without the help of a damned Negro. I will guaradamntee you that if Ken Burns and PBS did a special on the history of the blues or jazz, there wouldn't be a White face shown.

That's why I'm criticizing it. I believe in giving credit where credit is due, and not injecting race into it. If Ken Burns and PBS ever get around to making a special about NASCAR, you can bet that instead of it's roots being in the moonshine running business, we'll be told that it started when some Black guy was trying to make his car go faster so he could outrun the KKK.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Burns, and PBS are liberal, anything they touch is bound to be tainted.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Burns, and PBS are liberal, anything they touch is bound to be tainted.

Exactly, and I believe it takes away from what should have been a very good thing.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Like the 'fire, spit out the bones. Like a bell, some things just ring true, some do not.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
"Here's my point.......if you're going to go to the trouble and expense of telling the history of something, then just be honest about it. Instead, they have to be politically correct and make sure that the White man is portrayed as being unable to invent a form of music without the help of a damned Negro. I will guaradamntee you that if Ken Burns and PBS did a special on the history of the blues or jazz, there wouldn't be a White face shown.

That's why I'm criticizing it. I believe in giving credit where credit is due, and not injecting race into it. If Ken Burns and PBS ever get around to making a special about NASCAR, you can bet that instead of it's roots being in the moonshine running business, we'll be told that it started when some Black guy was trying to make his car go faster so he could outrun the KKK."

Well put jamesjr. I tuned in the first night and right away was informed that, basically country fans were racists for not giving due credit to negros. I am so sick of PC crap on PBS, that I just changed the channel.

Now I watched the Civil War documentary 30 years ago and it was very good. I may tune in on the next episode of the Country documentary, to see if PBS can go five minutes without injecting PC politics into this story.

Along those lines, another thread discusses the death of Cokie Roberts. I used to listen to NPR about 3 hours a day, back in the seventies ane eighties. They were pretty objective back then, rather like CNN was.
But NPR is obsessed with hatred of President Trump. You can't go 5 minutes on NPR without some reference to what a monster Trump is.
I haven't listened to an entire story on NPR in ten years.

NPR, PBS, same thing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks for the correction. It's amusing, looking at the opinions of all these people who have no idea about the inner workings of the music business in Nashville. I could print out this thread and grind it up, and have some very good fertilizer for my garden!
Jerry

It's always like that. Wait till someone from Kuscinski, Idaho tries to tell you that 1 million 6th grade dropout/unemployed ghetto negroes in your city isn't any contributing factor to crime.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Have watched the series so far and enjoyed it all.
I am a big country fan an appreciate the history, and enjoyed the music.
Jimmy Rogers was really good.

There is no denying a black connection to many forms of music, even country.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The roots of what is now known as Country Music are far more diverse than most people know. That fact may be upsetting to some.

μολὼν λαβέ
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Nobody is going to tell me that black folks showed up in America with a saxophone or a trumpet in their hand, knowing how to sing spirituals in English. You think a documentary about the blues or jazz is going to include all the Anglo influences?? Nope.

I’m all for “credit where credit is due”, but document the history. Don’t try to CHANGE it...

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Nobody is going to tell me that black folks showed up in America with a saxophone or a trumpet in their hand, knowing how to sing spirituals in English. You think a documentary about the blues or jazz is going to include all the Anglo influences?? Nope.

I’m all for “credit where credit is due”, but document the history. Don’t try to CHANGE it...

There’s a hateful and bitter crowd hangs around this fire

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by mogwai

There’s a hateful and bitter crowd hangs around this fire

Nobody’s holding you hostage.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Pretty Good series, I have enjoyed it

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I watched some of it last night. Hearing Cousin Minnie Pearl with that "Howdeee" sure brought back a lot of good memories. At 52 years old, I think I'm in the last age group to really experience Country music before it's corruption. We used to watch the Porter Wagoner Show every week, Jim and Jesse had a tv show, Hee Haw every Saturday night.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
The banjo came to America via Africa,......but nobody ever got much out of one until a Caucasian picked one up.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Marty Stuart makes a good Andrew Jackson!

Founder

WS

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Marty Robbins was a pretty good race driver. I worked on his pit crew occasionally.
Jerry

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Marty Stuart makes a good Andrew Jackson!

That's right! I hadn't made that connection.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Earl Scruggs could absolutely eat a banjo up...

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Damn, Hank could sing...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Damn, Hank could sing...

He was one hell of a song writer too!!!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How many of you have had a one-on-one conversation with Sarah Cannon when she was not in character as Minnie Pearl, like I have? A finer, more compassionate southern lady does not exist, then or now. The Vanderbilt Hospital cancer center bears her name, proudly.
Jerry

At some point here, I'm feeling like we should bow to you.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Damn, Hank could sing...

He was one hell of a song writer too!!!

True, dat.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
and his kid don't suck....

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Finally, Lefty.....

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Grandpa Jones was a blood uncle (his mom's brother) of a friend of mine from back in the day and stayed with them at their home several times in his teens.

Said it was surreal getting out of bed in the morning, going down stairs and seeing a table full of country music legends gathered around the breakfast table drinking coffee, talking shop, joking around and teasing one another.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Finally, Lefty.....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by huntsman22

And has a much bigger career than his Dad ever had.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Nothing to add about Burns' documentary, haven't seen it yet.

Just recommending the Country Music Hall of Fame if you're ever in Nashville. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I watched it all tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it.

They gave Hank a huge chunk of the episode. Sad tale.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I am enjoying this series.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It's been enjoyable, despite the obvious political correctness. I do think there was a certain bias against some of the early stars, such as Riley Puckett and Gid Tanner and the Skilletlickers, probably based upon some of their recordings.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by JamesJr

It's been enjoyable, despite the obvious political correctness. I do think there was a certain bias against some of the early stars, such as Riley Puckett and Gid Tanner and the Skilletlickers, probably based upon some of their recordings.

The Skilletlickers! I bet I know at least one of the songs you are alluding to. wink

Founder

WS

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I was pretty surprised to find out that Hank Williams was only 29 when he died.

Yikes that's some hard living right there.

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F

Did you notice how they just kinda threw Woody Guthrie in there, to sorta suggest the country folks weren’t cool enough to appreciate his commie folk songs???

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K

Did you notice how they just kinda threw Woody Guthrie in there, to sorta suggest the country folks weren’t cool enough to appreciate his commie folk songs???

Think they’ll throw in Pete Seeger later?

wink

Founder

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The Skilletlickers! I bet I know at least one of the songs you are alluding to. wink

Run, Niqqer, Run.....that's one of them.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
That’s the very one I was thinking of.

Founder

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I finally sat down after lunch and finished watching the rest of segment 3. That was the best one so far. Of course, it centered on Hank Williams and rightfully so. The man was a genius as far as songwriting was concerned. I've always been a fan of his music. It's amazing to think about the number of the greatest country stars that that era produced.

I'm hoping tonight's segment will just as good, because Patsy Cline, the best female country artist ever will be on. To me, the era of the late 40's through the 70's was when country music was the best. Actually, there's not much recorded after 1970 that I care to listen to.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The 40's through the 70's was the Golden Age. And then came, Billy Ray Cyrus. Once upon a time I thought he was bad.
And now, country mixed with rap. Today, a complete garbage dump, country music.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
We have a bunch of Skilletlickers on this forum, sorry, pot lickin hounds.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Hank Jr does or use to have an extensive collection of Colt SAA

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The 40's through the 70's was the Golden Age. And then came, Billy Ray Cyrus. Once upon a time I thought he was bad.

agree totally. some really good stuff in that era. loved every minute of it, especially jeannie seely. WPLO's shower of stars in atlanta was always Grrreeaattt!

on a side note, what ever was the outcome of hank sr's little girl? maybe hank jr's half-sister?

i don't remember how it all got resolved, but it floated in the news for a spell.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I was pretty surprised to find out that Hank Williams was only 29 when he died.

Yikes that's some hard living right there.
he had spina bifida too

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of my farmer uncles had one helluva pile of old 78 RPM records, all country. Little Jimmy Dickens, Roy Acuff, Ernest Tubb and many more, all of 'em from the pre and post WWII years. Big Philco multi band radio/record player in the living room that still worked well into the 1960s. Record player swung out from the front of the cabinet. Back in the 1950s when I spent parts of summers up there, I'd play them old records until my aunt yelled at me to turn that damn thing off and get my ass to bed.

Still enjoying the Burns documentary and also looking forward to tonight. One of those summers in the late 1950s Patsy Cline's "I fall to pieces" was one of my favorites on the radio. Big Hank Williams fan. Sucker sure could churn out a tune.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
This kicked off with a "Live at the Ryman" show on our PBS station. It was very good. It re-airs here on Friday night. You can also watch it on the PBS website and check for your station schedule.

Rhiannon Giddens did a great job on "Crazy". I had never heard of her before this series. Google her up and check her ancestry. You'll understand her appearance then.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Personally, I believe Rhiannon Giddens is a helluva musician!! Discovered her not too long ago researching 1820-1830’s songs!

Founder

WS

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

Shop in San Antonio has had a number of them for sale for years.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EdM

Jr is the largest private Ruger Collector. Among other brands.
I’ve sold him quite a few over the years of various brands.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by EdM

When I worked at McBrides in Austin in the early 80’s, he was always in and out of the shop.

Always lookin’ for nekkid lady ivory stocks for SAA’s! laugh

Founder

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Billy Ray Cyrus should’ve been called Cyrus The Virus because he was a POX on Country Music 😡

George Strait was the last of the REAL Country Singers.

He does a pretty good Hank sr imitation too

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Need to find out when they are gonna rerun episodes 1&2 as I missed them.

Founder

WS

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Need to find out when they are gonna rerun episodes 1&2 as I missed them.

You can download the PBS app and watch them anytime. They are also available on Amazon Prime.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
KW I think you can watch them here.

https://www.pbs.org/kenburns/country-music

I watched the part of Live at the Ryman that I'd missed.

I used to spend money at McBrides in Austin on a regular basis when I lived there. Don't remember seeing you or Hank Jr.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Billy Ray Cyrus should’ve been called Cyrus The Virus because he was a POX on Country Music 😡

George Strait was the last of the REAL Country Singers.

He does a pretty good Hank sr imitation too

George is great but I wouldn't consider him the LAST of the "REAL" country singers... but Randy Travis just might could be:

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
KW I think you can watch them here.

https://www.pbs.org/kenburns/country-music

I watched the part of Live at the Ryman that I'd missed.

I used to spend money at McBrides in Austin on a regular basis when I lived there. Don't remember seeing you or Hank Jr.

Thanks, all I have is an iphone.

I was there at McBrides full time from late1980 to early 86. Went back to state. Retired and was there part time from 2009 to 2014.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 09/18/19.

Founder

WS

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
This kicked off with a "Live at the Ryman" show on our PBS station. It was very good. It re-airs here on Friday night. You can also watch it on the PBS website and check for your station schedule.

Rhiannon Giddens did a great job on "Crazy". I had never heard of her before this series. Google her up and check her ancestry. You'll understand her appearance then.

Patsy Cline closed out tonight's show with "Crazy and Sweet Dreams" Still the best that ever was...

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought last nights segment was every bit as good as the night before, maybe even better, with one exception.......Burns just had to let everybody know that Willie Nelson said that Ray Charles did more for country music than anybody else with his recording of "I Can't Stop Loving You." BULL CHIT.......that liberal SOB just can't praise the Negroes enough, and tries to give them credit for everything.

Anyway, with that out of the way, I suppose Patsy Cline and Johnny Cash were the main focus of last night. I think Patsy Cline is the best female singer, country and anything else as well, there has ever been. Her voice was absolutely perfect. I never get tired of listening to her.

On the other hand, Cash was never a favorite of mine, and I can take him or leave him. I could never see the appeal for June Carter either, as she couldn't sing, and if anyone has ever watched her early years on the Opry, all she did was act stupid. Her sister Anita was the best singer of the Carter family, and I enjoy listening to her songs.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Quite abit of negro worship last night, otherwise it was good.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
To be honest, and shouldn't a person always be honest, I though what I saw last night was good. Lot's of rock, but the line is thin at times.

Not the worst TV ever by a long shot.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Ray Charles did more for country music than anybody else with his recording of "I Can't Stop Loving You." .

What a crock of s hit.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I enjoyed the 4th episode.

μολὼν λαβέ
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Patsy Cline, what a voice.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What did the Fire think about Sunday night's segment? I'm wondering where George Jones is, as I thought he'd have been mentioned last night. I find if odd that June Carter is getting so much mention, when she was the worst singer of all the Carter family, and especially couldn't hold a light to her sister Anita. I suppose it's because of her connection to Johnny Cash.

Anyway, we're into the time period that I'll probably lose some interest, as I didn't care much for the music that was produced after the mid-70's. I also found it odd that Jim Reeves, who had one of Country music's best voices, and whose career was cut short with his death in the plane crash, has not been talked about. Yet, they have constantly let us know that Blacks were discriminated against during this time period.

It's easy to see where PBS's priorities lie.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Burns just can't help himself, everything always has to revolve around the negro.

Preachy, tiresome.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
They should let Burn make a series about blacks in America, and slavery. I would not have to watch, and he could finally get it all out of his system.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They should let Burn make a series about blacks in America, and slavery. I would not have to watch, and he could finally get it all out of his system.

I agree. I'm not politically correct, and I'll get that out of the way. I believe if you're going to tell the story of something, you need to stick to facts, and not inject your perspective into it.

In the history of country music, there has only been ONE Black artist that has had any success whatsoever, and that is Charley Pride, who got quite a bit of air time last night. I like Charley Pride's music, always have, and consider him to be a good singer, in addition to a great person. But, in the big scope of things, he doesn't crack the top 25, maybe even the top 50, of the greatest and best country singers. While I have no doubt that some of the White country singers were influenced by some degree or another by Black musicians, the fact is that most were not, and did what they did on their own. Yet, Burns would have us believe that Blacks deserve just as much credit for the roots of country music as anyone else does, and cannot resist including them....despite the fact that history shows us that it was Whites that made country music what it is today, not anyone else.

I have lived in a part of the country that has a large population of Blacks. I've worked with them, and lived around them all my life. I cannot recall ever seeing one of them playing a country song. Jazz, blues, hip-hop, rock and roll, and rap.........yes, and to that list I'll add gospel. Countless times I've been a gas pump, and had a car driven by a Black person pull up with the radio so loud that you could hear it in the next county, and not one single time was there a country song being played. Yet, Burns would have us believe that they like country music just like the rest of us. I don't believe that is true.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
What did the Fire think about Sunday night's segment? I'm wondering where George Jones is, as I thought he'd have been mentioned last night. I find if odd that June Carter is getting so much mention, when she was the worst singer of all the Carter family, and especially couldn't hold a light to her sister Anita. I suppose it's because of her connection to Johnny Cash.

Anyway, we're into the time period that I'll probably lose some interest, as I didn't care much for the music that was produced after the mid-70's. I also found it odd that Jim Reeves, who had one of Country music's best voices, and whose career was cut short with his death in the plane crash, has not been talked about. Yet, they have constantly let us know that Blacks were discriminated against during this time period.

It's easy to see where PBS's priorities lie.

Those are good questions regarding Jim Reeves and George Jones. Jim was mentioned in the previous segment to last night but it was not extensive at all and I agree with you regarding his voice. He was a superb singer and was lost entirely too early. The absence of George Jones is a complete mystery. I'm going to withhold comment until I see the entire documentary, in case he is brought in later.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
They barely mentioned Jim Reeves in episode 4 when leading up to the "Nashville Sound"

One thing to consider is he was also a big star in South Africa! There’s your reason!

Founder

WS

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Well, there you go. Jim Reeves a big star in the racist country South Africa, so, he is written out of Ken Burns history. Same thing Mao and Stalin did, same thing ISIS did when they blew up those ancient Buddhist statues.
Ken Burns is a good socialist, he provides history, with a strong blend of politics.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They barely mentioned Jim Reeves in episode 4 when leading up to the "Nashville Sound"

One thing to consider is he was also a big star in South Africa! There’s your reason!

There has to be a reason. Jim Reeves was one of country music's stars in the 60's, and for him not to be mentioned anymore than he was, was a huge thing to me. Same way with Johnny Horton, as I don't recall seeing him on there, and he was a great singer, who's career was also cut way too short.

Burns is pretty much picking and choosing who he wants to, and for some reason, leaving out some very important artists.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I’ve heard that for years Johnny Horton was mis-associated with the Ku Klux Klan. All of which is said to be totally without basis and untrue.

I believe it was a result of his song "Johnny Reb" and a rather colorful Louisiana singing who went by the name of "Johnny Rebel". Some may have heard of this character. People being people made the association.

Founder

WS

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
"In the history of country music, there has only been ONE Black artist that has had any success whatsoever, and that is Charley Pride, who got quite a bit of air time last night. I like Charley Pride's music, always have, and consider him to be a good singer, in addition to a great person. But, in the big scope of things, he doesn't crack the top 25...

I have lived in a part of the country that has a large population of Blacks.... Yet, Burns would have us believe that they like country music just like the rest of us. I don't believe that is true."

That is a good bit of analysis jamesjr. Yes Charley Pride was a great performer. I love "Anybody Going to San Antone" in part because I drove to San Antonio about 600 times in the Big Rig I always had to sing that song out there on I 10. A unique voice.
Oh, if you are singing country, you have to say "San Antone." If you say "San Antonio" you are a nerd. A city dweller.

I remember, in summer of 1968 I was working as a brick mason helper with a group of redneck brick masons in Atlanta. Played country all day long, and played it very loud, on the transistor radio. And that song came on, and Woodrow said to me "Hey kid did you know that guy is a ni**ger?"
I thought he was kidding, I was not much of a fan of country when I was in high school.

Yes he was a great singer but certainly not in the top 10. And I have spent a lot of time also around blacks. That is a good way to analyze it, never heard a black person playing country on the radio.

Being a star of PBS, Burns has to be a raging Lib, and he is cramming his Lib politics down your throat, if you watch his documentary.

I am far from an expert on country but I listen to Willies Road House on Sirius quite a bit. I do hear Ray Charles on there quite a bit so obviously he was a pretty big influence on country, but other than him, who else? Nobody?

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Dayton Duncan is listed as the writer on the ending credits, not that he is any less liberal than Burns.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
We can enjoy Mister Pride now.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Charley Pride had a great voice. Nobody else sounded like him.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Charley Pride had a great voice. Nobody else sounded like him.

I don't care if Charley Pride is green, or purple, or yellow.......he was a great country singer, and he sang many songs that I liked. But, it was a slap in the face to such artists like Jim Reeves, Johnny Horton, Hank Locklin, the Wilburn Brothers, Stonewall Jackson, Sonny James, and a number of others, who were never mentioned, or else were barely mentioned. Meanwhile, a lot of time was devoted to Pride, reminding us how he was often called a niqqer.

That has been the focus of Burns......constantly reminding the listener that in order to tell the history of country music, he must also tell the story of the Black folks. He reminds me of when Obama said "you didn't build that," meaning that one certain segment of the population shouldn't be given credit for something, instead everyone should.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The surprising thing to me was how great Charley Pride looked. How old is he now? He has got some Keith Richards level mojo going on.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If George Jones isn't a part of this, it pretty much nullifies the entire series in my opinion.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by auk1124
The surprising thing to me was how great Charley Pride looked. How old is he now? He has got some Keith Richards level mojo going on.

I think they said he was born in 1933.

He did look good.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Huntingnut
If George Jones isn't a part of this, it pretty much nullifies the entire series in my opinion.

and yes. haven't seen much of tammy wynette either. maybe i missed that one.

jeannie seely always had a hold on my heart. haven't seen her at all.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by Huntingnut

and yes. haven't seen much of tammy wynette either. maybe i missed that one.

jeannie seely always had a hold on my heart. haven't seen her at all.

They had a decent amount of coverage on Seely last night. I'm wondering if Tammy Wynette might not be on the next one, as the time frame for her might be a little later than what was on last night.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by smarquez

Did you really watch and listen? The city of Nashville had a problem with "hillbilly" music and wanted to change the impression the term gave. There were plenty of white people that didn't like the term way back then. Jeez, this place is full of conspiracy theorists.

You noticed that as well. The film is good. Well done Ken Burns. I liked the part of last night about Ray Charles' country album. Ol Ray did a great job on Don Gibson's "I can't stop loving you". As well the part on Johnny Cash. As to SOME open your ears, minds and hearts. You'll be happier and better informed for it.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I will not watch or listen to anything that has Ken Burns associated with it!!!

Neil

Dong Ha Vietnam '67
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Watching George and Tammy now. Can't believe how little jim reeves was mentioned.

FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tammy had a hard life...

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
16 hours how in the heck are you gonna please everybody telling 100+ years of any sect of history. You aint.

Carry on.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Limited watching time these days, so have only viewed the first episode. It is fairly well done and it was revealing and educative to learn about the methods and histories of the Carters and Jimmie Rodgers, and how the recording and sale of their work enabled the opening-up of this music to a greater audience. Pivotal events there. The given explanation about the term "hillbilly" and its effects made sense - we used that term for such music (heard on the radio) in the late 40s and early 50s.

All fans of a certain type of music have their favorite performers - and their dislikes - so once past these early historical accounts (stuff before most of us were born) there will be picking and choosing among and between performers and how much emphasis on each. This will give rise to strong opinions and pointed critiques from viewers. As for the true root factors and seminal influences (racial/cultural and otherwise) it might be helpful to consider that, in general in any form of music, such aspects normally are seen and understood uniquely and differently by those on the inside (the musicians/performers) than by the listeners/consumers/devotees/fans. Such is life.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well looky thar, Charlie Daniels performed with Lester Scuggs at the Anti-War March in Washington DC.

Who would have thunk Daniels and Scruggs were pinko commies.

History is uncomfortable.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockchucker
Watching George and Tammy now. Can't believe how little jim reeves was mentioned.

Yep. One of the greats!

Haven’t had a chance to watch it yet. Have they even mentioned Ray Price or Buck Owens???
What about Bob Wills and Waylon Jennings???

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Finally..........we get to hear about George Jones, along with Tammy Wynette. Now, I realize that everyone has their favorites performers, and the ones they don't care for. There are also those artists that though they may not be a favorite, get your respect because of how good they are. Jones is one of those, as far as I'm concerned. His contribution to country music ranks near the top.

Now, I've also been disappointed with all the coverage and sucking up to Johnny Cash. Cash did not have a good singing voice, but no one can discredit his ability as a performer. However, Cash was someone who's politics were on the fringe, and because of that, I was never a big fan. Also, I don't get all the coverage of Bob Dylan, that commie was not a country performer. Of course, Burns loves people like him.

I'm also a little surprised at all the coverage on Kristoferson. I know he is a great song writer, but he's gotten more than his fair share of air time.

I loved Jan Howard's response to the anti-war demonstrator. People like her deserve all the respect we can give them. As time has gone by, I've come to see the Vietnam war as a huge mistake on Americas part. It accomplished nothing but the taking of thousands of young American lives. I lost several friends over there, and saw some others affected by the time they spent there. I was not a supporter of the anti-war demonstrations, believing at the time that it was justified. Though I now believe the war was wrong, I still hold a grudge against those who were so openly against it and more importantly, against the soldiers who fought there. That includes a number of celebrities, including Earl Scruggs and Charlie Daniels.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
It would take a lot for me to like Lyndon Johnson. Nothing to do with music of any kind.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was working in a large company's paving/excavation crew, when Cash got his TV show. The morning after Dylan was on, most of the guys were upset about his appearance. One guy said it was the worst thing Cash had ever done, having that "Dolan" guy on and was the ruination of Country music.

"History is uncomfortable". Yep. Judging by some of the comments here, many are uncomfy finding out how various the influences were in country music? Pretty much how most forms of popular music works. Artists borrow from what has come before and the music is usually better for the sharing.

When that Nitty Gritty Dirt Band album came out, gave my dad and the farmer uncle whose old 78s I listened to as a kid, both a copy. They loved it.

They didn't mention it last night, but Bill Monroe refused to participate in that album. The Byrds' "Sweetheart Of The Rodeo" is also a great album.

Still remember the day I was driving up to hunting camp and heard on the radio that Jones had died. "No Show Jones". We had a rough ol' gal around here that did handyman work for years. Had a huge George Jones decal on her truck's bug deflector. One day I stopped at a convenience store and she pulled in right behind me. Noticed the Jones decal was gone from the front of her pickup. Asked what was up with that? She went into a profane rant about having traveled three times to see him and he'd never showed up for any of them. Oops!

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Yes, Robert Zimmerman, know as Bob Dillon, was not country in my book.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He was "folk music". And even they turned on him when he went and used an electric guitar.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by rockchucker

Yep. One of the greats!

Haven’t had a chance to watch it yet. Have they even mentioned Ray Price or Buck Owens???
What about Bob Wills and Waylon Jennings???

All were mentioned. Big piece on Bob Wills (and frequent mention). Nice piece on Buck Owens.

The program hasn't fit all my pre-conceived notions or assumptions, but it's been interesting and I can separate the wheat from the chaff by myself.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Perhaps just me, to put music in a box, or try to jam a type, then, what is a type, or call it a category, is futile. The edges are too blurred. Sometimes, that is. laugh crazy

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Perhaps just me, to put music in a box, or try to jam a type, then, what is a type, or call it a category, is futile. The edges are too blurred. Sometimes, that is. laugh crazy

allus liked jack greene, and his statue of a fool.

swinging a hammer, and listening to good country.

somehow it always seemed to make the day go faster.

if i had to pick and choose, it'd be jeannie seely every time.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I've enjoyed the series so far. It brought back a lot of memories.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I have not seen near half of the show. I may have missed a lot. In fairness to the black artistes', where would this gentleman fit?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From what I read in this thread a lot of you SOB's can't be happy with anything

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, Robert Zimmerman, know as Bob Dillon, was not country in my book.

Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
He was "folk music". And even they turned on him when he went and used an electric guitar.

Dang fellers, try and keep up.

the point was about how good the Nashville Studio musicians were.

Nashville musician was in NY, came by while Dylan was recording, Dylan asked him to sit in, great track, producer asked Dylan, "did you see how easy that was?"

Next album (Blonde on Blonde) Dylan went TO Nashville and recorded with A BUNCH of Nashville Studio Musicians. 2 more albums followed. Later he returned to do a country album, "Nashville Skyline" with Nashville Studio Musicians.

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Better tonight. More history, less “agenda”...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bob Dylan sucked. All of his music sucked. And it had nothing to do with Country Music. Period.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I always thought Jessi Coulter was Über hawt!!!!

Founder

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I always thought Jessi Coulter was Über hawt!!!!

Always thought she was a great looking lady with a great voice too.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Oh, and the whole thing has had way too much Johnny Cash.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bob Dylan sucked. All of his music sucked. And it had nothing to do with Country Music. Period.

all of it?

Studio albums 38
Live albums 13
Compilation albums 19
Video albums 11
Music videos 40
EPs 26
Singles 91
Soundtrack albums 7
Tribute albums 29
Box sets 13
Bootleg Series 14

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sycamore

all of it?

Studio albums 38
Live albums 13
Compilation albums 19
Video albums 11
Music videos 40
EPs 26
Singles 91
Soundtrack albums 7
Tribute albums 29
Box sets 13
Bootleg Series 14

Yep. All of it. Just because a bunch of hippie liberals bought a bunch of his records does not make it good music.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guy Clark and Townes Van Zandt now

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yep. All of it. Just because a bunch of hippie liberals bought a bunch of his records does not make it good music.

I doubt if you heard all of it, or even much of it.

If you get a chance, you might get something out of Nashville Skyline.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Am not a Dylan fan but he wrote a bunch of songs eventually recorded by country artists that were very successful.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Am not a Dylan fan but he wrote a bunch of songs eventually recorded by country artists that were very successful.

He might have wrote a few “decent” songs. But as a singer, performer, he sucked.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O

He might have wrote a few “decent” songs. But as a singer, performer, he sucked.

You'll get no argument out of me on that. He can't carry a tune in a bucket with a lid on it.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Could he sing "Possum up a gum tree” ?

laugh

Founder

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

You'll get no argument out of me on that. He can't carry a tune in a bucket with a lid on it.

No doubt.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Could he sing "Possum up a gum tree” ?:D

not well...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Could he sing "Possum up a gum tree” ?:D

not well...

LOL

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Emmy Lou!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and lots of Willie!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Emmy Lou!

Loads of talent but she’s a big time Liberal Commie.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
and lots of Willie!

Him too. Dope smoking Liberal Commie.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Emmy Lou was a stone fox in 1975

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WHOLLY CHIT, Johnny Rodriquez was a Mesican? LOL!!!

"Maybe we're all happy."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FatCity67
WHOLLY CHIT, Johnny Rodriquez was a Mesican? LOL!!!

David Allen Coe song lyrics:

“Long before Rodriquez stole that goat”

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tedthorn
From what I read in this thread a lot of you SOB's can't be happy with anything

signature line material there ^^^^

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Haven't had a chance to watch any of it.

Did they play Wild Horses by the Stones?

Any mention of the band "Old and in the Way"? Or was that too "bluegrass" and not enough country.

Dang them protestors all to heck anyway, even the famous musician kind. How dare they have an idea that what was going on just might be wrong?

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Where's Glen Campbell? Did I miss him?

Last edited by Steve; 09/24/19.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and lots of Willie!

Him too. Dope smoking Liberal Commie.

Just the kind of people that Burns and PBS love. That's why Willie, Emmy Lou, and Johnny Cash have received so much mention. Of course, Jones was an alcoholic and a pill popper, along with Hank Williams, but they weren't Commies.

If you've noticed, the more leftist an artist is, the more they have been played up. Which really isn't all that surprising,

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Maybe I missed any mention of Country music on TV (Porter Wagoner’s show, Wilburn Bros, Hee Haw, Glen Campbell), or movies (Urban Cowboy, Smoky and the Bandit, Every Which Way But Loose, Bronco Billy, Tender Mercies)....

Eddie Rabbit and Johnny Lee brought in more “crossover appeal” than Emmylou ever did, but weren’t as “cool”...

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
They showed Glen Campbell last night but spent little or no time talking about him. They had also mentioned Tanya Tucker but didn't spend any time on her career.

Last edited by OSU_Sig; 09/25/19.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Hee Haw and Porter Wagner were covered too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Think they briefly showed Don Williams' back in one segment? Looked like his hat.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Never went to Armadillo World HQ. Nor any picnics.

Sis was working first aid station at the Willie 4th of July picnic out at Briarcliff by Paleface Park west of Austin 1979(?). Said this chick came in bleeding from her breast like a stuck hog. She got on her boyfriend’s shoulders and took off her halter top. Some drunk biker dude decided to try to bite her nipple off. He almost completed the task. Sis said nipple was just hanging on by a sliver of meat.

However was at the first Luckenbach worlds fair in 73. We had a cannon shoot. I was on the crew of a 3" Rodman gun. Willie and all were there. As well as probably 10,000 people. The dude who did most of the artwork for the underground comics and music posters in Austin then, Tony Bell ( also creator of the Bat boat on the old Batman TV series), was the cannon shoot organizer. Amazing no one died there.

Bell’s likness is forever planted on the Becker (Fredericksburg Tx.) Vinyards "Iconoclast" wine label.

Founder

WS

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by dubePA
Think they briefly showed Don Williams' back in one segment? Looked like his hat.

I recognized him by his hat and mentioned that to my wife.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When Ralph Emery had his TV show on TNN, Williams was on one night. Talking about a group of country performers going to entertain QEII and they were told to "dress up" for their performance before the Queen.. Williams wanted to wear his usual outfit. The Queen sent word that she preferred he wear what he wanted to, fine with her.

First time I ever heard Allison Krause and Union Station, was on Emery's show. This may well be the best documentary Burns has ever made?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have come to the following conclusion that Burns is trying to pass country music off as something other than an invention of Conservative minded White folks.

In the first few segments, he lets us know that if it weren't for Blacks, there would be no country music. In the past couple of segments, he's given the credit to the Nelson-Cash-Dylan, liberal, drug using crowd. Given the politics at PBS, it's not surprising.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have come to the following conclusion that Burns is trying to pass country music off as something other than an invention of Conservative minded White folks.

In the first few segments, he lets us know that if it weren't for Blacks, there would be no country music. In the past couple of segments, he's given the credit to the Nelson-Cash-Dylan, liberal, drug using crowd. Given the politics at PBS, it's not surprising.

Jesus H. Christ. You really don't get out much, do you?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I knew Hank Jr. had that bad cliff fall, but could not figger out why I didn’t remember hearing about it when it happened. Hell, I was in boot camp when it happened. We never heard nothing. Except DI’s yellin’ at us!

Founder

WS

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,566
Posts18,453,797
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.