-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Expand background checks and let them keep track of all the ones that don’t pass.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by 100_dollar_Bill
So, we have a federal gun registry. Bummer! frown

Supplies!

Awe come on with the fake Asian accent........

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't believe the feds keep a "true" registry, that is a list of folks and the guns they own. Thanks.
Bill

You didn't used to think that the NSA recorded all your phone conversations either did ya?

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I knew a guy about 25 years ago that would only buy a used gun from another person so there would be no paper work on the sale.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's a big GAO report done in September 2018 about background check practices and enforcement.

The FEDS did 29 states checks, 8.63 MILLION total. 113 thousand failed. Guess how many got prosecuted?

Fifty.

Convicted?

TWELVE. I shyte you not.

Even in PA, which does all checks in-state, and investigates all denials, only 10 percent of INVESTIGATED denials ended up in conviction, and most of those were pled down to misdemeanor. PA does investigate all fails, however.

So, before there's ANY discussion of "universal" or "comprehensive." the system needs to be used to bust felons who try to buy guns. Lying on the 4473 is worth five years and 250 grand, a felony rap. That makes me twitch when I do the 4473, and for that kind of inimidation I would expect a much higher enforcement level.

Any doubt catching bad guys was NEVER the intent of NICS as written by the Brady Bunch? Now you're catching on.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Someone send that to Trump.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
There's a big GAO report done in September 2018 about background check practices and enforcement.

The FEDS did 29 states checks, 8.63 MILLION total. 113 thousand failed. Guess how many got prosecuted?

Fifty.

Convicted?

TWELVE. I shyte you not.

Even in PA, which does all checks in-state, and investigates all denials, only 10 percent of INVESTIGATED denials ended up in conviction, and most of those were pled down to misdemeanor. PA does investigate all fails, however.

So, before there's ANY discussion of "universal" or "comprehensive." the system needs to be used to bust felons who try to buy guns. Lying on the 4473 is worth five years and 250 grand, a felony rap. That makes me twitch when I do the 4473, and for that kind of inimidation I would expect a much higher enforcement level.

Any doubt catching bad guys was NEVER the intent of NICS as written by the Brady Bunch? Now you're catching on.

Problem is the courts have held the 4473 is coerced and therefore not valid to prosecute.

When Billary Clinton drove thousands of FFLs out of business they started building a database with the turned-in log books. They were caught and "stopped" ... wink...wink...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Failed doesn't 100% mean your illegal to own, or buy

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by UPhiker
It is my understanding that background check info is supposed to see if you are eligible to buy, but your info is not to be saved. This was to stop the feds from saving your name and info so that a registry could not be created. So, when there is a shooting, the police seem to have the ability to find out if the shooter had passed a background check to buy their firearm .

So, they must save your info after all!? When did that happen?

Bill

It's not that simple. Here's how it really works. Man shoots another man with a Glock. ATF contacts Glock and asks which distributor it was sold to. ATF contacts distributor and asks which dealer it was sold to. ATF contacts dealer and asks for a copy of the 4473 to be faxed or emailed to them. After that, the trail normally goes cold unless the customer sold it back to a dealer or the state has a registration scheme of their own. The only identifying characteristics of the firearm that is used on the background check is whether it is a "long gun", "handgun" or "other". That is so they know whether the person has to be 18 or 21 and a resident of the state of the dealer.

This, I have bought several lowers and handguns w/o a NICS check. I use my CCW for all purchases which bypasses it. Nebraska kept primacy on handgun sales from the NICS system back in 91.

Simply because you do not have to do a NICS check changes nothing in tracing any gun. Their only reliable trail is manufacturer>Wholesaler>FFL>Purchaser.

The FFL has all of the same information on the 4473, regardless of whether or not a NICS check was made. Though some state systems may use different forms, FFLs have the same obligation.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Over the years I have received requests from BATFE for records of sales to specific individuals, specific guns, and a specific 4473.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well don't do any mass shootings and you'll stay clean....

anyone who trusts anything the government says, is a democRAT...

and we all know what morons they are....

we even have a few of them camped out on the campfire.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
All you need to know to sleep peacefully at night is that the whole NICS system is based in West Virginia...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A dealer I used for a couple of transfers (also a Class III dealer) told me that when he queried the ATF about what he needed to do with his book when he retired, they told him "nothing".

Dealer's choice here in WV, but if you have a current CC permit, no background check has to be done.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A friend of mine had a serious water leak at his gun shop and before he quit the firearms business he called the fed and asked what he should do with all his 4473 forms even though they were waterlogged and illegible.

He was told to simply throw them away.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Swifty52

This, I have bought several lowers and handguns w/o a NICS check. I use my CCW for all purchases which bypasses it. Nebraska kept primacy on handgun sales from the NICS system back in 91.

Simply because you do not have to do a NICS check changes nothing in tracing any gun. Their only reliable trail is manufacturer>Wholesaler>FFL>Purchaser.
The FFL has all of the same information on the 4473, regardless of whether or not a NICS check was made. Though some state systems may use different forms, FFLs have the same obligation.

Interesting, no where did I say I didn’t fill out a 4473. I said Nebraska has different rules that allows me to purchase w/o the dealer contacting the Feds on every sale. It’s an alternative permit state.

https://www.nebraskalegislature.gov/pdf/reports/research/snapshot_firearm_2018.pdf

Each state has the option of turning over all background checks on firearms to the FBI or it can choose to act as a state point-of-contact (POC) to conduct background checks on either handguns, long guns, or both. Additionally, a state can choose to issue alternative permits. Alternative permits must be approved by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF).
Nebraska is a Brady alternative permit state and serves as a POC for purchasing handguns, but defers to the federal government to regulate long gun sales. Nebraska law prescribing handgun purchases (Laws 1991, LB 355) actually predates the Brady Law.

In Nebraska, an individual must apply in his or her county of residence for a firearms purchase certificate from a designated local law enforcement official. This is most often the county sheriff, but can be the chief of police. The local law enforcement official performs the background check, which includes NICS, as well as the ability to search additional local criminal databases. Applications can be made in person or by mail.

The local law enforcement official has three business days to complete a background check and is required to
approve the certificate if the applicant is (1) 21 years of age or older and (2) not prohibited from purchasing or possessing a handgun per federal law (18 USC 922). If the application is denied, the applicant must be told why in writing. Purchase certificates are valid for three years and allow the holder to purchase an unlimited number of firearms with one background check.

In 2006, the Legislature enacted the Concealed Handgun Permit Act. Concealed handgun permits are processed
by the Nebraska State Patrol. The requirements for a concealed handgun permit exceed those required for a Nebraska firearms purchase certificate. However, once granted, a concealed carry handgun permit also qualifies as an alternative permit. Concealed carry permits are valid for five years.

ATF has approved both of the state’s firearms purchase and concealed carry permits as alternative permits for buying long guns. State law does not require a purchase permit for buying long guns. If the buyer does not have a purchase permit, gun stores follow the Brady Law protocol and contact the FBI for the NICS check on long gun sales.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting that when it gets pointed out how some states fugg you over and defaulted to the feds on purchases under Brady it goes real damn quiet.
Yep I had to purchase a 5 buck permit till CHP came about, but I still don’t have to go through a NICS check on every purchase where the Feds can keep a record.

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/permanent-brady-permit-chartpdf/download

Last edited by Swifty52; 09/15/19.

Swifty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Btw, to paraphrase everybody's favorite country comedian...if you think Lindsey Graham is one of the good guys, if you constantly tell people it does no good to oppose gun control at the national level, if you follow somebody around calling him "crazy" or "semi-retarded" and the like because his solidly pro-gun opinion differs from your own...you may be anti-gun.

Seriously, go get an MRI. You’ve gone off the deep end. You started this fight by claiming that I’m anti-gun because I disagree with you on a few issues. You’re the pussy. You’re up in arms and freak out everyday with some half assed story about what’s coming down the pike. It ain’t. And if it does, it doesn’t mean much and there are still plenty of ways to fight it. What you’re going to do is freak out, and stay home in November like a pussy, and watch these insane idiots implement something that will either see us completely undone or result in civil war. And you are directly encouraging others to do the same.
Joe Bob I fear you are a victim of HPS (Hurt Pussy Syndrome) brought about by me being mean to you. I apologize. But that still doesn't change the fact that you're a pussy. lol

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Some years back I bought a Raven 25 pistol. I think I paid $39 for it. When I got divorced, my wife took it with her because she knew I wouldn't care. (She also took my new $55 shake hammer, and I did care about that!) Eventually my ex-wife remarried and old goat herder for a short while. When that didn't work out she moved to Washington DC to teach special-ed children, and left the Raven 25 with the old goat herder, since it was illegal in DC. Well the old goat herder died and some of his no account spawn got the the Raven 25 and soon somebody was arrested for something, who we don't know. The ATF traced the Raven to the distributor and from their records to the dealer. The dealer then search his files until he found the 4473 that was in his records. (OK, I was the dealer!) The 4473 had my name on it. I then told the ATF the long sad story about the divorce, and the ex taking the gun and my expensive shake hammer. They called up the ex and she verified that she had abandoned the gun with the old dead goat herder, and that was the end of the story, they didn't arrest her for theft of the shake hammer, and I'm still pissed about it. Filling out a 4473 doesn't register your gun with anyone other than the dealer.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
A lot of opinions, all over the place.

The solution;
Change the form 4473, remove the four lines with make, model, caliber and serial number.
That is a winnable fight in congress.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Anaconda
A lot of opinions, all over the place.

The solution;
Change the form 4473, remove the four lines with make, model, caliber and serial number.
That is a winnable fight in congress.

Lol, that’s never going to happen. Demorats are saying universal background checks are non negotiable. They can’t get registration without em.

Swifty
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

287 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 32 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,463
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.