ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Do you toss them back or eat them ?

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ol_mike

This might give you a start one what YOU should do:

https://dchpexternalapps.doh.state.fl.us/fishadvisory/

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

Eat them, just not every day. Even canned tuna I only eat ever so often.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I catch and fillet a lot of walleye from lake Erie, I eat them but as has been said not every day. My buddy also catches a lot but won't touch the ones we get in Erie, he gives them all away.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your net intake of lead over say the last 10 years is what matters, lead being held in fat and slow to be eliminated. I'm not a kid, pregnant woman, and I don't eat paint chips or drink bad water. Plus I don't eat fish that often. So I eat it if it's just the typical warning.

Don't know how they determine a safe level now but used to be with what amount to trace elements you test until you first see a reaction. Then divide that dose by at least 10, or maybe 100 if keeping your grant demands a little hysteria.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It all depends on who is doing the testing.....If it's the government, it's BS!

We've paid for independent test and proved the government test are misleading, but the government refuses to change their testing methods and here in north La., the mercury warnings remain in place.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Valsdad

This might give you a start one what YOU should do:

https://dchpexternalapps.doh.state.fl.us/fishadvisory/

Geno

Geno , thanks .
Wonder why there's no mention of other fish ?
Saw a warning to not eat Bluecat catfish especially big ones - seems odd it and many others aren't mentioned on the state website .

Old timers locally say it's propaganda - trying to scare people so they don't keep any [or very few] fish they catch . They've been catching and eating fish for many years and all have perfectly healthy grown children and grandchildren ...?..

Oldman3 ,
What were the findings of the independent testing ?

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Eat enough, you will glow in the dark!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I eat fish from waters with advisories on occasion. Logistics prevents me from overdoing it even if I wanted to.

I know people down here who have been eating fish out of local rivers their entire lives that are pushing 90 years of age. IIRC , most if not all of these freshwater rivers now have advisories that warn not to eat bass or catfish at all and only eat panfish once a week.

Personally, I have had a hard time believing anything the govt says about the environment for quite a while. One thing you probably could do if concerned is to be sure to fillet the skin off which is supposed to eliminate a lot of contaminants. Filleting itself also eliminates the bones which could store toxins as well.

I think in most cases, no more than people get to go fishing, no more fish than they get to catch because of over fishing, and no more than they get to keep because of size and creel limits, it would be pretty hard to poison yourself with mercury from fish.....but its a personal judgement call.

Last edited by RJY66; 09/16/19.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Give them to my in-laws.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We give a lot of the fish to the porch monkeys swimming at the boat ramp.

we can be heroes...for just one day.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Well, boys, my health crashed and burned 25 years ago, I went to all the great and good doctors in the State of Georgia and spent many thousands, and the docs were clueless.
It turned out, I was sick from lead poisoning.
Also had just a touch of mercury poisoning.

It took me years, spending many more thousands, to get over it. I tell you guys, lead and mercury poisoning will destroy your life.

E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
What was the cause of your problems? Ed k

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think it’s been in fish forever. If anything it’s probably less now. Companies and people are dumping less contaminated water in our waters now. We just did not check it 50 years ago. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Well, I asked the doctor, "How in hell did I get lead poisoning?" He said, hard to tell there are a lot of toxins out there.
I have cast a lot of lead balls for muzzleloaders so I got some lead there. But the main culprit, I went to Mexico in 1975 and brought back some black and red glazed pottery. And I used it to eat from, and to drink margueritas from, for several years.
And I bought a test kit, and tested that Mexican drinking cup, and it was loaded up with lead.

On the mercury I just don't know, but my mom used to spray my bedroom at night with Raid, just before I went to bed, and back in the fifties there was mercury in Raid.

There are a lot of toxins out there and it is a crap shoot as to whether they make you sick or not.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I remember reading one time that you should put the whole fish in the freezer, standing on its head. As the temperature drops, the fish will respond just like a thermometer, with the mercury plummeting to the head. After it has frozen solid, you remove the head and the remainder of the fish will be lead-free.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
As to my previous post, I purposely left out the :D, just to see if there would be anyone who actually believed that I was serious.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wont go into the why all this happened, just about the testing.

Back in the late 70's, the gov. tested fish in the Ouachita River, up around the state line and said the fish had high concentrations of mercury and issued warnings about eating the fish. They claimed the old oil field meters that were broken leaked mercury onto the ground and that was the cause. To this day, the commercial fishermen are restricted to fishing within the river bank. When the river floods some of the very best fishing is in the woods, but the gov. claims the fish in the woods are not safe to eat because of mercury. When I ask where the fish go when the water goes down or what happens to the mercury when the fish swim back into the river channel, they will walk off. I do this everytime I see one of the gamewardens at the river. It's gotten to the point they will leave if they even see me. I love to do it when there is a crowd of people, like at the public landing.

Now for the testing.... the gov. takes a fish out of the water and puts it on ice. They take the whole fish, put it in a grinder and grind it up, then put it in a blender and make a liquid out of it. Then they test this liquid for chemicals, such as mercury. How many people eat the head, guts, scales, skin, etc of a fish? What is the function of the liver? See what I mean? We offered to pay the gov. to test fish that we took from the woods and river and they agreed, for $1000 per fish tested. SOB's.

We found a university that could and would test the fish for $100. The university told us up front that their equipment could not register as small of trace amounts, as the governments, but it would go way below what the government has stated is safe levels to eat. They tested the fish and barely got any traces of mercury at all. When we asked why there was so much difference in their findings and the govs, they told us about how each of them tested. The university only tested the part of the fish you eat. They filleted the fish and then tested it. Kinda makes sense, doesn't it.

We even tried to get the Army Corp of Engineers to test fish for us and all hell broke loose when we showed up with the fish. When asked, they said they would do it and not charge us, but when we showed up with the fish, they refused. Then when we pushed for an answer, they threatened to call the law and have us removed from the property. When the push the issue, they claimed we might have taken the fish from other waters, that they didn't know for sure where the fish came from, so they wouldn't test them. We offered to let them come with us and get the fish, but they refused. SOB's.

Just as a footnote to all of this.... back in the 60's, Alabama or Georgia, might have been both, had a gov. ban/warning on eating quail..... mercury or something. A study was done to find out just how much you had to eat to reach the warning threshold. Using gov. figures on how much mercury? was in each bird and the gov. figure on what was the threshold, it figured out that a person had to eat 3 railroad boxcars of quail a day for a year to get enough mercury? to reach the unsafe level.

That's our gov. at work for us.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slumlord
We give a lot of the fish to the porch monkeys swimming at the boat ramp.

we can be heroes...for just one day.

You are so full of s c hitt!

Everyone knows they dont swim.....

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
What size Mercury did the fish swallow? One big enough to eat a Marauder or something similar would probably need a power winch on a wrecker boom just to land it!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
642 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,587 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.