Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
slm9s Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Over the years I have ended up with a few custom rifles with no cartridge designation on the barrel. While no problems have resulted thus far, I'm not getting any younger and I want to mark them correctly. I was considering just a Sharpie, but thought I'd poll the forum geniuses for other methods. I've seen kits with all 26 letter + numbers on punches, but am concerned that would look bad doing it freehand.

Thoughts?

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You can use a punch set.

I use a electro etching “marking methods” machine to mark my barrels I do for customers.

Options.

1. punch type marking
2. Engraving
3. Electo Etching (which is really reverse plating or Etching it removes metal)
4. Laser engraving

Laser would probably cost you 40-50 bucks.
Electo Etching is more like 30-40
Engraving 25-35 ?

Here is a video of the system I have / use for my customers.. good old Midway USA Demo’d It..
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PF7AZPw8wtU

The system is used by the airline industry, and you can make light marks, to deep etching.
What is really cool about it IMHO is you can have them make up a stencil and have any artwork you want.
With mine I just type what the customer wants on the one use stencil and use it...
I have permanent type stencils made up for the more common cartridges... but if a guy wants a name / date/ or customer marking I use the one time approach.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by slm9s
Over the years I have ended up with a few custom rifles with no cartridge designation on the barrel. While no problems have resulted thus far, I'm not getting any younger and I want to mark them correctly. I was considering just a Sharpie, but thought I'd poll the forum geniuses for other methods. I've seen kits with all 26 letter + numbers on punches, but am concerned that would look bad doing it freehand.

Thoughts?

If you want it to look professional, have a good smith do it. A good smith will have an engraving machine. Here's one a good smith did for me the other day, after he did the re-chamber on my rifle:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If you are just wanting to do it yourself, you could always just buy a letter and number stamp kit. However, like in the midway video Larry says it's difficult to line up the stamps, unless you've done a thousand. But it sure would beat a sharpie. Good luck with it..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have a New Hermes engraver.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Labounty makes a stamp guide for barrels to help keep them aligned - I have one but don’t use it after upgrading to electo chem etching method.
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...-stamps/steel-stamp-guide-prod26535.aspx

Many, Many gunsmiths have an outside shop do their marking
I.E. some shop that has a Hermès engraver (what engraving shops use), Electro chem etcher, or a laser engraver.

Google “engraving” / firearm engraving in your local area and you should be able to find one...

Last edited by Spotshooter; 09/16/19.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just about all of the stamped ones I have are out of alignment. Get it engraved if you want more than a sharpie. If it is a custom barrel, twist or neck size I have that added too. Not that I would forget but it can add to the value as opposed to an alleged custom barrel or down the line if someone inherits the rifle.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Tejano
Just about all of the stamped ones I have are out of alignment. Get it engraved if you want more than a sharpie. If it is a custom barrel, twist or neck size I have that added too. Not that I would forget but it can add to the value as opposed to an alleged custom barrel or down the line if someone inherits the rifle.

This is why I went the Etching engraver route, I could have gotten a Hermès machine but they don’t do art graphics... Either way it looks much more professional.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Custom rifles, spend a few bucks and have it done right.

NRA Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I spring for the metallic. whistle

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

IC B3

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've seen unobtrusive hand stamped calibers under the forearm so the stock has to be removed to see, and on the bottom of the barrel just in front of the forearm.

Bruce

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
For the folks who have or do the electro-etching, can you do a specific pattern or lettering on botton metal as well, if desired ?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have one - you can pretty much do any “uncoated” metal.

The system I use allows you to type or print (impact printer) any pattern you want and it will etch it onto the metal.

So - Yes.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Appreciate the response. Already have a fully formatted MS Word file. Just need to find someone who can import the Word file, print the stencil, and do the etching.

I contacted an ACGG member regarding possibly doing it in real gold inlay... WAY out of my price range... Electro-etched and then filled with gold lettering paint will be sufficient...

ETA: Actually, a Gold Cerakote fill would probably be workable as well.

Last edited by Orion2000; 09/30/19.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Stamps/punches can be easily placed correctly by clamping in a vice and marking properly with a pencil.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Appreciate the response. Already have a fully formatted MS Word file. Just need to find someone who can import the Word file, print the stencil, and do the etching.

I contacted an ACGG member regarding possibly doing it in real gold inlay... WAY out of my price range... Electro-etched and then filled with gold lettering paint will be sufficient...

Check Brownells for their gold inlay "paint"; I forget the exact name but it works really well, and is available in both silver and gold. I found it pretty easy to use and the results look good on polished and blued steel.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
The use of stamps is a dark art, I'd recommend avoiding that entirely. Stylized cursive can be acceptable to some customers..I do it with an aluminum welders pencil, show it to the customer for approval, then just do it with an electro-pencil. The easiest of all, if you can get headstamped brass for that chambering is to inlet it into the stock at a spot the customer picks. Similar to old Remington repeaters. I hate to let an unmarked barrel job go out of the shop. Just for the reasons the op stated.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have a really nice Iver Henriksen rifle. Some Dumass used stamps to mark it 25 Neidner. It looks like cshit. I wish I could get it fixed.

Yep. They spelled Niedner incorrectly.

Last edited by hanco; 10/02/19.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I had a custom rifle built from scratch, 2 actually. Both of them appeared as if the chambering stenciling was an afterthought. Though done well, I cannot even see it without holding a very bright light to it. Was quite disappointed. Kampfeld agreed to make it as it should be during his off-season. He IS NOT the original builder.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

What is it a graphic or something ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,667 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,907
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.