Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Alarm went off at 4:45 and I thought it sounded funny, turns out power is off and the alarm was powered by batteries that were a little weak. Wife has an early doctors appointment, and I needed to get up and go check on some calves that are being weaned. So, go out to the garage, wheel generator out, hook it up, throw the disconnect on the box so as to not allow the generator to feed back through the lines, and fire it up. While the rest of neighbors are sitting in the dark, I've got power.

My generator is a 8000 running, 13,500 startup, and will run the basics here. I have the TV and computer on, made coffee, used the microwave, several lights on, and the hot water heater is on. I have ran the A/C with it, but don't need it this early.

It's nice to be able to do this.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've done that many times.

Last big power outage we had lasted 5 days for us, 7 for nearest neighbors.

When our road was cleared the line crew chief came and asked for my connection cord. Said they would not begin work til he had it in possession. He promptly returned it when service was restored.

Eventually I decided to put in the correct service transfer and have had no further issues.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw
I've done that many times.

Last big power outage we had lasted 5 days for us, 7 for nearest neighbors.

When our road was cleared the line crew chief came and asked for my connection cord. Said they would not begin work til he had it in possession. He promptly returned it when service was restored.

Eventually I decided to put in the correct service transfer and have had no further issues.

The correct service transfer is a must. It cost me about $500 or so have it installed, but it's worth it, as it's a potential hazard to a line crew if you are running a generator without one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That 5 day service interruption was 18 years ago. Never had any difficulty with throwing the disconnect and plugging into the dryer outlet.

But I took the guy at his word that it was a hazard, and had the service transfer installed. Longest outage since was 13 hours, but all 13 hours were way below zero temps and having power meant a lot.

On the 5 day interruption we'd have had no water or air conditioning and it was high summer with temps in the upper 90s. We'd have lost everything in the freezers and the fridge.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Pay yo bill it's that simple and you won't get disconnected.

https://youtu.be/U-PQQX4Itzk

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice to have backup. Especially in long term outages.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by slumlord

Lololol 😂😂

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Originally Posted by slumlord

Lololol 😂😂

+2
PAY YO BILL
goodzit Slumlord .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have 2 generators, a small 1200 watt, and a 5000 watt Honda for when it go's out for longer periods of time, usually only when there is a forest fire, which has happened twice before where the power was out for 5 days each time. Just gotta make sure you have enough fuel so you dont have to leave the property to run out and get it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use two. One for the water system/well/pressure tank and one for the house and freezers.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I bought a 22KW unit and a automatic switch when I retired. Wife figured that we would mis having a bucket truck parked in the driveway 24/7! Also figured that the response times would increase drastically, and they did. I've had a little trouble with it and I'm not sure if I would buy a Generac again but it has been nice having it.

lightman
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I had a 36Kw Generac QuietSource unit installed at our house in CO. It has only run a few times, never while we were there, but having it gives me peace of mind.

Wherever we end up retiring, I'm going to have a Generac QuietSource installed if we have natural gas, but I'm not 100% sure that I'd do it if I had to run it on propane.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Reminds me. I need to get ours out and hooked up for a test run before Winter sets in.

Thanks!

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Reba
I use two. One for the water system/well/pressure tank and one for the house and freezers.

All I care about is my freezers.

I have 4 freezers and 2 refrigerators.
If it's deer season, I usually have my walk-in cooler with something hanging in it. Mine or someone else's carcass.

Have to play generator roulette during outages. Let one freezer have power for 4 hours, then switch the umbilical to the next unit. With a dippy 6kw I got at Lowes.

Looking into getting a tractor PTO generator.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
t 4:45 am, I could care less if the power is on. 😜. If I need coffee, I have a gas option. I have a generator of course, living in FL, but I have only needed it once in the past 15 years.

Sam......

JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well, about an hour or so after I holed the generator up, the power came back on. But, I had my coffee on time, and by damn, that's what's important to me first thing in the morning. Well, anyway, the generator needed running.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I had a 36Kw Generac QuietSource unit installed at our house in CO. It has only run a few times, never while we were there, but having it gives me peace of mind.

Wherever we end up retiring, I'm going to have a Generac QuietSource installed if we have natural gas, but I'm not 100% sure that I'd do it if I had to run it on propane.

Neighbor across the street has one , runs it on propane, seems to work just fine for him.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
5000 watts works good for me in the aftermath of the hurricanes we get here.

That's enough to keep a small window AC , a freezer & the refrigerator going.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
If I were doing things over, I'd have gotten a Generac unit, and it would have to be a propane one since I'm out in the sticks with no natural gas anywhere close. Having said that, our outages are usually brief, the result of a thunderstorm and are more of a temporary nuisance than anything else. About every 15-20 years we'll have an ice storm that knocks out the power for several days. Our electric lines aren't hard to get to, so usually it doesn't take a week or more to fix them, as is the case in some areas around these parts.

About 10 years ago, Tractor Supply put my generator, a Briggs&Stratton, 8000 running watts, 13,500 startup, on sale, and at the same time I had a 15% discount card, so I got it at a good price. I probably have around a $1000-1100 in the generator and the disconnect box. So, I can live with having to drag it out and hook it up every few years, even if only for a few hours. Having to keep a supply of gas is the only issue. I remedy that by using Sta-Bil in the gas that's in the tank, and in the winter I keep 15 gallons of gas in 5 gallon jugs with Sta-Bil. In addition, I keep my hunting truck filled up, even though I rarely drive it. So, I'll have 35 gallons of gas available if anything happens. That's not a lot if the power was off was an extended period, but for a 3 or 4 day situation, it'll work.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jnyork
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Neighbor across the street has one , runs it on propane, seems to work just fine for him.

I'm sure that it does work fine and propane doesn't degrade for decades, but some places that we've looked have covenants prohibiting large propane tanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 57 invisible), 2,179 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,361
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.