Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
...if they target Gang Members.

Democrats frown on targeting gang databases with 'red flag' laws

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/congress/democrats-frown-on-targeting-gang-databases-with-red-flag-laws?utm_source=WEX_News%20Brief_09%2F14%2F2019&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=WEX_News%20Brief&rid=14949886&fbclid=IwAR1LNund3IYv3yqlXTnZdfMWS8n9DxRM3n3c8JO4i7ngaItMWCFzex-Pg1E

House Democrats this week advanced a new measure to encourage states to pass “red flag” laws, known as extreme risk protection orders, that authorize removing guns and ammunition from dangerous individuals.

Democrats on the House Judiciary Committee amended the measure during a Wednesday mark-up to authorize the federal government to issue extreme risk protection orders in some instances, but they rejected an amendment that would have red-flagged anyone who law enforcement lists as a gang member.

“The majority of violent crime, including gun violence, in the United States is linked to gangs,” Rep. Ken Buck, a Colorado Republican who sponsored the amendment, said Wednesday. “My amendment is quite simple. It would allow the issuance of a red flag order against anyone whose name appears in a gang database if there was probable cause to include that individual in the database.”

Democrats objected with reasons that sounded very familiar to Republicans.

Buck pointed out his amendment requires law enforcement to limit red-flagging to only those with probable cause to be included on the list, which is a stricter criteria.

Democrats kept objecting, arguing someone could be misidentified as gang members simply for writing “13” on a piece of paper and having it wrongly identified as an MS-13 gang sign.

“Maybe you are just doodling because it is the 13th of June,” Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerry Nadler of New York said.

Buck said police have to meet a much higher threshold to list someone as a gang member.

“This is a situation where the police officers are trained, and there are very identifiable signs, and it isn't just one sign,” Buck told Nadler.

Democratic Rep. Eric Swalwell of California offered to support the amendment if Buck agreed to include those listed “individuals affiliated with white nationalism.”

Buck agreed, but he said the language should include “any type of supremacy.”

“Let’s add Cosa Nostra to this,” Buck added.

The amendment ultimately failed 11-21, but not before the top Republican on the panel, Rep. Doug Collins of Georgia, called out Democrats for their hypocrisy.

Democrats in 2016 staged a “sit-in” on the House floor, refusing to let the GOP majority conduct legislative business, in part because Republicans would not pass "No-Fly, No-Buy" legislation, which would prevent people on the federal no-fly list from purchasing guns.

“It’s amazing to me,” Collins said. “We had a large blow-up on the floor of this House just a couple years ago about the 'No Fly, No Buy' list, which was shown to have issues, but at that point, nobody from the other side brought this is as a concern, and now we are bringing it as a concern,” Collins said.

“If we can't bring this list up, even with due process put in, then don't ever bring the 'No Fly, No Buy' list up again."

“Don't ever bring it up again because there is no due process on that list.”

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/congress/democrats-frown-on-targeting-gang-databases-with-red-flag-laws?utm_source=WEX_News%20Brief_09%2F14%2F2019&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=WEX_News%20Brief&rid=14949886&fbclid=IwAR1LNund3IYv3yqlXTnZdfMWS8n9DxRM3n3c8JO4i7ngaItMWCFzex-Pg1E

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They just don’t want to red flag any potential voters that support their party. DemoRats.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
"Let's add Cosa Nostra to this."

I say, "Let's add Black Lives Matter to this."

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can't disarm our shock troops, now can we......

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by czech1022
"Let's add Cosa Nostra to this."

I say, "Let's add Black Lives Matter to this."

Black Lives only matter to DemoRats when they vote.
See Chitcago. 😜

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Unintended consequences , VFW, American Legion, Elks, Rotary, Kawanis, KOC, NRA, Safari, any Gun Club, Hunting Club, etc, belong to one of these gangs and get RED FLAGGED???

There is a war on America and America is losing
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
They just don’t want to red flag any potential voters that support their party. DemoRats.

Just when you thought those dhimicrats could stoop no lower.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
So if you live a in California and are a NRA member that has been listed as a terroist organization can you be red flagged. Ed k

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Just when you thought those dhimicrats could stoop no lower.

I've never thought that with demoncraps anymore than I would with Satan himself, because they are one in the same.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by arky65
Unintended consequences , VFW, American Legion, Elks, Rotary, Kawanis, KOC, NRA, Safari, any Gun Club, Hunting Club, etc, belong to one of these gangs and get RED FLAGGED???
Republican Party.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ERK
So if you live a in California and are a NRA member that has been listed as a terroist organization can you be red flagged. Ed k

California did not list the NRA as a terrorist organization.

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Was it just one town in California that did the listing on the NRA? Ed k

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by ERK
Was it just one town in California that did the listing on the NRA? Ed k

The city council of San Francisco voted to declare the NRA a terrorist organization.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Heard on Hannity yesterday if you're a gang member you're immune to Red Flag laws, according to dhimirats.

You just can't make this stuff up.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The issue of "due process" is a primary concern with any "red flag" legislation. It should be limited to immediate mental health concerns. To merge a list of gang bangers to red flag would be confusing and serves no purpose. Big cities with existing gang member lists most likely would not rise to the level of probable cause. A mediocre defense attorney could argue that list membership is no guarantee of gun violence and question the process of gaining entry to such a list.
A more important exercise would be to cite the high incidence of dropped gun-related charges as prosecuting attorneys look to keep their case loads moving at the expense of public safety. But this would increase the minority disparity of gun crimes and likely prison terms - a big cause du-jour in our "modern era".

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
At fist glance, red flag laws seem to make sense but the potential for abuse is so great that they become a non-starter. To the anti-gun people, any present gun-owner should be red flagged unless they can prove they are (a) a Democrat, (b) homosexual, or (c) a member of any organization comprised of mostly non-whites. This means many urban gangs would be OK but the Irish and Russian, organised, crime organizations might have a problem.
Police ignore gangs now until after they have committed an indictable offense. I did, one time, have a cop give me photos of gang members suspected in gun store robberies but he was breaking the rules by doing so. Apparently, warning a potential victim isn't kosher. GD

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Maybe I should join a gang so that I am immune.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wonder if there are any gangs nearby that would let me apply for membership?

I suppose my being white and a Republican would ruin my eligibility!

Last edited by kennymauser; 09/18/19. Reason: adding comment
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Heard on Hannity yesterday if you're a gang member you're immune to Red Flag laws, according to dhimirats.

You just can't make this stuff up.

Sure you can. You just did.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,938 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,541
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.