Print Thread
Hop To
M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
This trip is the second part of my wife’s and my trip to Namibia with Sebra Hunts and Botswana in the Tuli Block with Koch Safaris this Aug. Just to quickly recap……

A friend/client and I hunted with Koch Safaris in June. We had such a good time I knew I would have to take my wife there. She is a hunter and has nearly a hundred head of various plains game under her belt. Including Namibian Fields Game Gold Medal Gemsbok (two actually with best 40 ¼”), Gold Medal Blue w/b, Gold Medal Red h/b and Kudu (59 7/8”) and a boat load of culls. She’s also hunted cull Asiatic water buffalo with me in OZ last year and between the two of us, killed 32 and recovered 30 and she took 12 of those via head shots with a 375 H&H.

So, we had already semi-committed to going back to Sebra Hunts and Jan & Mariesje’s in Aug of this year, mostly just to visit and do a little culling. We’ve been going there at least once a year since 2008 and have rented a car after every hunt and spent 10-14 days playing tourist and have covered just about the entire place. This year’s Namibia trip plans changed a bit as soon as I told her about Bob and my June trip to Botswana’s Tuli Block with Gerhard & Maggie’s Koch Safaris. Instead of renting a car and touring Nam for 10-days, we’d hop a flight from Windhoek to the Botswanan capital Gaborone and hunt there again.

Gerhard set us up and confirmed our dates would work out and we booked a mini eight-night, six full hunting day cull hunt - 10 impala and 10 blue w/b. I mostly want my wife to see the area and meet Gerhard, Maggie and their two terrific little girls.

Rifles: We just used the same Ruger 77 RSI and her Husqvarna 51L, both in 30/06 and both shooting the same 180 gr Speer Grand Slam bullet with tailored loads for each rifle.

Travel from Windhoek was on Air Namibia direct to Gaborone. Air Namibia check-in and rifle clearance out of Namibia when off without a hitch and the flight was via an Air Bus regional jet. Took off and landed on time. As mentioned in my June trip notes, by the time we made the short walk from the a/c to the terminal, the luggage and rifle cases were already coming out on the luggage carousel. Same quick little immigration form, quick passport check and visa stamped in and Gerard had his neighbor (retired Botswana Army Regimental Sargent Major) with the rifle import permits and to collect us up and take us “to camp”. Same two-and-a-half-hour drive and we were there in time for a late lunch. Maggie’s cooking is really spectacular!!!

This time Gerhard and Maggie had us stay in a different lodge then where Bob and I stayed. This one was maybe 600 meters from the other and just as nice. Very nice rooms, queen size bed, lots of closet/shelf space, nice bathroom and shower etc. In June, Bob and I stayed in the other because he had a group of 5 ZA biltong hunters on this side with PH’s. To give you some idea of the size of this property, the ONLY time we ever saw them or heard them was when I killed the giraffe. They came to see the field butchering process.

We spent a little relaxing time, did a little unpacking and about 3:00 we hit the range and a short familiarization drive for my wife. She was astonished at the quantity of game we saw – ESPECIALLY all the giraffe!!!
Back to the lodge early to enjoy a couple of sundowners around the fire and just enjoying the company and the kids. And did I mention - Maggie’s cooking is really spectacular!!!

Next morning up at 0600, a light breakfast (by choice – we ate way too much the night before) and off on the hunt. We stayed down along the Limpopo river lowlands and after 15-20 min ride away from camp, we got off and started our first walk. Within 10 min, Gerhard had my wife up on the sticks, 140yds, thru the vitals and she drops a very, very nice non-typical impala ram. His horns actually had a twist/curl like a kudu. Gerhard didn’t know until just then, that was her first ever impala. He immediately GAVE it to her as a trophy!! We did the obligatory pictures and not even trying to be quiet. He marked the spot on his GPS and we started hunting again. Long story short, within an hour and a half, my wife had taken three very nice old impala rams. Collected them up, delivered to Gerhard’s butchery facilities and back in camp by noon.

No real need to go into the rest of the shot-by-shot details as this was a cull hunt. In the end, because I had already been there earlier in the year, I let her do the bulk of the shooting. All I took was 6 of the blue w/b and she filled the rest of our quota.

Trip home was a little exciting. The afternoon before our return flight from Gaborone back to Windhoek, we are making an animal drop off at the butchery and I happen to pop my email. One from Air Namibia stating our flight tomorrow was cancelled. Gerhard got on the phone and in a couple of hours and a few more emails and it was sorted out. Take an earlier SAA flight from Gaborone to Johannesburg, 90-min layover and into Windhoek on Air Namibia. Our luggage and rifle cases would be checked all the way to Windhoek so no SAPS temp import permit required. I KNEW there was no way in hell our luggage would make that tight of a connection in Johannesburg even IF it was staying with the same airline. Didn’t really have any other option so took the booking.

Down side was, by the time we go this sorted out, we pretty much had to end the hunting to start packing because we would have to leave camp by 0600 to make the drive to the airport and catch our initial flight. Little bit of a rodeo getting the luggage checked between SAA and Air Namibia reps but, it all got sorted out and we got on the flight. Transit J’burg just fine. In fact, as we were getting off the SAA a/c, I actually saw our luggage and rifle cases come off the a/c and were sitting on the tarmac to be collected by security. Maybe at least a little hope they would make our connection! Sadly, no luck. We arrived in Windhoek but, no luggage or rifles.

Won’t bore you with the details other than the bags didn’t arrive on the next three frights from J’berg and the next morning the lost baggage guy said they had been found and he had confirmation they were loaded on the flight leaving J’berg at 1 pm and would arrive in Windhoek by 3pm. Just enough time to collect them and recheck it all for our KLM flight to Amsterdam and then Delta home. Again, lots of stress, but in the end, the KLM people were TERRIFIC and the Namibian Police were extremely helpful and we made the baggage check-in time with 10 min to spare!! We cleared outbound Immigration, security and I immediately hit the air side snake bar and had a double scotch!! Then had a couple more on the flight before dinner and then slept all the way to Amsterdam!!

Had a six-hour layover in Amsterdam and had a nice breakfast and they check in to the Yotel airside hotel for one of their shower rooms. Best $20 we spent and then our Delta flight home.

My wife and I are already plotting our adventure next year to Botswana. We’ll hunt for a few days with Gerhard and Maggie (did I mention - Maggie’s cooking is really spectacular!!!) and then rent a car and spend 10-14 days car touring Botswana. Want to see the Okavango delta from the Bots side and also the Chobe NP and maybe a day or two in Vic Falls again. That’s our plan.

I’m also looking to put together a 3-4 guys who’d like to go on a separate hunting only trip. The nicest thing about Gerhard is, he will do a custom “package” for each person in the “group” and we’ll each have a dedicated PH (1x1) and you can add trophies on while there. I don’t have his normal trophy fee list with me but, I’ve seen it and this isn’t one of those deals where he sells you a deeply discounted cull package and then sticks it too you on add on trophy fees once you’re there. As mentioned before, Bob added a SCI bookable Limpopo bushbuck for $800.00

Anyone interested in going, let me know and I’ll help you get there.

Normally NEVER post pics on-line EVER. Making this ONE exception, one time.

Attached Images
IMG-20190827-WA000a.jpg (23.09 KB, 310 downloads)
Last edited by M3taco; 09/10/19. Reason: Added Photo
GB1

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
If four guys REALLY want to cull, he's got a SERIOUS culling package:

$25,200.00 total split between a group of 4 hunters ($6300.00 ea)
44 animals PER HUNTER.
8 nights, 7 full days,
1x1 so each hunter has his own dedicated PH and truck
12x impala
12x warthog
8x blue w/b
4x zebra
4x kudu
4x eland
Again, that is EACH hunter gets that quota

While the game is that plentiful, I would recommend adding two more hunting days to be sure you fill your quota. He won't refund on none filled quota for a couple of reasons. The ONLY reason a shooter will fill his/her quota is because they are not fast enough on the sticks and he will exchange numbers of animals on the list for others on the list. The hunting area is very large and getting the animals back to the butchery will take a little extra time. Then, if you decide to take a few trophy species, it would be a good idea to add two more on top of that also. Might also seriously adding a cull or trophy giraffe.

If anyone wants to give this a go, I'll go as one of the shooters so, just three more spots to fill.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Is that the only cull hunt he has? That's a heckuva lot of shooting that's for sure, and I love cull hunts. I'm wanting to take my son on one somewhere.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
No. He has the following "standard" packages:

PACKAGE # 1 – 6 Trophy Animals – 1x impala, 1x warthog, 1x blue w/b, 1x kudu, 1x gemsbok, 1x waterbuck. Includes 7 nights, 6 full hunting days all inclusive. Minimum of 2 hunters hunting 1x1 (each hunter will have own PH) $7800.00 per client.

PACKAGE # 2 – 10 Trophy Animals – 2x impala, 2x warthog, 2x blue w/b, 1x zebra, 1x kudu, 1x gemsbok, 1x waterbuck. Includes 8 nights, 7 full hunting days all inclusive. Minimum of 2 hunters hunting 1x1 (each hunter will have own PH) $8900.00 per client.

PACKAGE # 3 – 10 Cull Animals – 10x cull impala, 10x blue w/b. split between 2 hunters. Includes 7 nights, 6 full hunting days all inclusive, Minimum of 2 hunters hunting 2x1 (2 hunters and one PH) $3000.00 per client. Up to two of each species can be taken as trophies at no extra charge.

PACKAGE #4 – 42 Cull Animals – 12x impala, 12x warthog, 8x blue w/b, 4x zebra, 4x kudu, 4x eland. . Includes 8 nights, 7 full hunting days all inclusive, Minimum of 4 hunters all hunting 1x1 (each hunter will have own PH) $6300.00 per client.
Extra cull animals can be added at: Impala - $100.00 ea., blue w/b $200.00 ea., zebra $350.00 ea., and giraffe $1000.00 ea.

Extra days can be added to above packages at a cost of $350.00 p/p/p/d 1x1 or $250.00 p/p/p/d 2x1. Non-hunting observers $150.00 p/p/p/d

In addition to the above all inclusive packages we will custom tailor a package to your specifications and requirements.

2020 STAND ALONE AND ADD ON TROPHY FEES:

Trophy animals can be added to any of the above packages on an al a carte fee basis at the following prices per animal.

Giraffe $2500.00 Eland $1600.00 Impala $400.00
Kudu $1500.00 Gemsbok $1000.00 Warthog $350.00
Bushbuck $1000.00 Blue Wildebeest $600.00 Red hartebeest $1000.00
Waterbuck $1400.00 Steenbok $200.00 Duiker $200.00
Baboon $50.00 Vervet Monkey $20.00 Jackal FREE
**Other species may be available on request

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Unless I missed something, for August 2020?

Trump Won!
IC B2

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Gunner:

Not completely sure of your question but, those prices I posted above were for 2019 and ALL of 2020 and directly from Gerhard.

"Technically", I since this is private property, there is no Govt mandated "closed" season. However, Gerhard self imposes a "closed" season from Oct to Apr just to give the game a bit of a break and for good "calving" after the rainy season. Plus, as is not unusual for places that are totally off the power grid and rely on solar panels or generators, the rooms, while very nice and comfortable and do have 220v electrical plug-ins, they don't have enough capacity to run heat or A/C.

During the "winter months", May-Sep, while the nights are pretty cool in the low 40's F, all you need for "heat" at night is a good hot water bottle. From the end of Sep to May is there spring and summer, the temps at night can be pretty warm and without even a ceiling fan, sleeping can be a challenge.

Even though the area is on the eastern edge of the Kalahari, the humidity is not as dry as the western side in Namibia.

M3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Hello M3, the thread title of Aug 2019 is what's throwing me off as it is in the past.

Trump Won!
M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Gunner:

I made two separate trips this year (2019) to the Tuli with Koch Safaris. The first one was in Jun and had such a good time, I added the second trip to the Tuli with Gerhard with my wife after we finished our trip to Namibia this past Aug (2019).

The price list I posted is his current (2019) and next year's (2020) price list - same prices.

I'm interested in going back next year (2020). I know my wife and I will be making a trip for certain, just the two of us. Going to do a few days of culling and then rent a vehicle and spend a couple of weeks exploring the country.

I'm ALSO willing to put together a couple of small group hunts of myself and 1-4 (5 max) others who'd like to go. Just need to sort out common dates of each group and the total number of days there. EACH person can have his/her own specialized "package" of culls, trophies or mixed culls and trophies. Each of us will have our own PH hunting 1x1 unless two friends specifically decide they want to hunt together 2x1. I'll help sort out all the travel stuff and rifle import permits and lodging (if needed) over and back. If someone wants/has something like this on their "bucket list" and no one to go with - you've got me. I'll go with you all the way there and back and we'll just hunt 1x1.

Personally, I want to give that 42 animal cull package a go, but will add two extra days to it to make sure I can get the full quota and pretty sure I have one more (Bob) so, to just need two more.

I know it's a bit early to start thinking about 2020, especially with the various US hunting opportunities just around the corner. But, with the expectation of elephant opening up to foreign hunters next year (2020) and knowing that Gerhard wants to get a number of permits, combined with a lot of guys having to put in for next years vacation with their employers coming up, things can get a bit like herding cats finding open dates with Gerhard and work/vacation schedules of several people. That is the primary reason I want to keep the group to a max of 4-5. If I can't go, or guys want to book and don't need me to go along, I'm still happy to help sort out the travel and permit stuff.

Oh, and I forgot, Gerhard is planning to be at DSC and SCI this year again. Not a full booth of his own and hasn't locked in who he is going to share a space with yet but, he is planning to be there.

By all means, everyone feel free to contact Gerhard directly via his web site: Koch Safaris Contact Page May take them a few days to respond due to somewhat limited I-net access and I know he is away from the property for a few weeks doing a photo only safari but Maggie is home.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks for the clarification M3, 2020 will be here before we know it, time is flying.....................................smile

Trump Won!
M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Gentlemen:

A couple of guys expressed interest it going to Koch Safaris in Aug 2020.

While circling back checking on things with Gerhard (we) discovered a bit of a problem. Because he doesn't have that good of an internet connection and no access to anyone who can keep his website up to date, he's had to rely on a friend of his in South Africa to post his (Gerhard's) hunts on their website. As such, the details of the big cull package were not correct and Gerhard didn't discover the errors until he and I were going over some things and we weren't matching up.

I texted him the details, copied directly off his friend's website (exact same as I posted here abover). He about crapped his pants. So, for the past couple of days, we've been working out what that big cull package should have been AND because of the error that was posted in public was in good faith, I think we've come up with an equal or better deal.

Replace the Package details I posted above for Package #4 above on 9/18/2019 and replace it with this below.

PACKAGE #4 – 24 Trophies and 60 Culls – Must be a minimum group of 4 hunters. 40x impala (1x trophy & 9x culls each hunter), 12x warthog (1x trophy & 2x culls each hunter), 20x blue w/b (1x trophy & 4x culls each hunter), 4x trophy zebra (1x trophy each hunter), 4x trophy kudu (1x trophy each hunter), 4x trophy eland (1x trophy each hunter). Includes 8 nights, 7 full hunting days all inclusive. Rifle permits and r/t road transfers. Each hunter will hunt 1x1 with own PH, tracker and truck. The trophy kudu and trophy eland can be exchanged for any other trophy or cull animals at the same prices listed below. $6375.00 per client. Note – extra hunters/shooters can be added to the group at the same rate.

This is still a pretty darn good deal as each hunter will get six different trophy species and fifteen culls across three species.

We also went over the other 3 packages he has and the trophy fees and everything else and ALL of the rest is correct.

Please accept my most sincere apologies as both Gerhard and I initially thought everything was originally correct.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 35, Akhutr, 7x57Hunter, 10Glocks, 8 invisible), 1,575 guests, and 728 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,563
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.