Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It's always been something with the Mauser from Hell.

I've had this sporterized K98 since 2014, and it's always been something going wrong. I finally got all the bugs worked out last year and got it shooting some of the best groups I've ever shot. I gave it to a local gunsmith to do one last bit of tinkering-- specifically to put a different safety on it, because the old one wouldn't fit under the scope.

I finally had it out this weekend to test it out for deer season. Ooops. I had 5 round left of one batch and 40 from another. I used the first 5 to test function. On the first three of those, I could not get a dent on the primer on the first try. On the second try each time, I had normal function. After I switched to the newer batch, everything was fine.

I just need someone to double-check my logic. Batch 1 was full-length resized. Batch 2 was neck sized. My guess is that somehow in all this, that started making a difference. Also, there might be a lubrication issue now. My solution to the latter will be spraying some brake cleaner into the hole for the firing pin and then following that up with a drop or two of very light oil.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
BP-B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Please don't spray wash the bolt, disassemble it and clean it, avoid oil in my opinion. Reassemble and check firing pin protrusion, .065" to .070" is in the ballpark. Check the gap between the extractor hook and bolt face, should be just a few thousandths more than your rim thickness. If your ammo in batch 1 was sized a little too much' normally the mauser extractor should hold the rim firmly enough for headspacing and firing unless it is too sloppy and the cartridge is being driven forward by the firing pin to the limit of it's travel. The rim/extractor engagement was never intended to provide headspacing. The shoulder was designed to do that. Depending on the type of safety installed, you never specified, a striker safety requires possible alteration of the striker travel which could contribute to your issue and occasionally a trigger safety with an overtravel adjustment will push the sear up to bind the striker travel. Yes, Mausers are 'simple', but are engineered for all the beautifully designed pieces to work in harmony. Aftermarket stuff needs be installed by grumpy old men who fully understand the system. IMO.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hard to say without looking. As for as inside the bolt far better to learn how to disassemble the bolt. Not hard, German conscripts could do it and they didn't have Youtube. You'll get all kinds of opinions but I like to LIGHTLY use a synthetic grease that doesn't change viscosity with temperature in there. Lightly meaning wipe off the excess leaving a thin film. Actually that firing pin spring is so strong it's not critical.

BTW a broken spring can result in intermittent functioning but I doubt that'a the problem.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks. Y'all are probably right. However, this is the first outing after being at the 'smith. I don't want to go mucking about with his work until he's had a say. Y'all convinced me to send him an email and let him know what's up. He lives just a mile or two from the house. My guess is I'll drop off the rifle and he'll have it back to me one way or the other inside of a week. He and I are just getting to know each other, but he's been a sterling fellow to work with.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Could be that the shroud isn't fully screwed back into the bolt. Quite common to be one rotation short.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Aftermarket stuff needs be installed by grumpy old men who fully understand the system. IMO.

IMO we get grumpy from figuring out how to get aftermarket stuff to work on Mausers. smile

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Not a chance the full length size bumped the shoulder too much?

shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Not a chance the full length size bumped the shoulder too much?

That could very well be. However, the rounds in Batch 1 were not problematic when I used them the last time (prior to the safety install)

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Having installed many safeties on Mauser actions to clear scopes, yes they can impede the firing pin. But instructions are pretty clear.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by z1r
Could be that the shroud isn't fully screwed back into the bolt. Quite common to be one rotation short.

I was thinking the same thing. The shroud lock pin (if that's what it's called) can catch one turn short on some Mausers.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Check your chamber too. Take it back to the Smith and have him gauge it or make a Cerrosafe cast of it. Not a problem if you only load for that one rifle but good to know.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
665 members (17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 73 invisible), 2,752 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,051
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.