Print Thread
Hop To
P
Puddle Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I've shot my #1 in 450/400 using iron sights since forever, but my eyes are now telling me it's time to mount a scope.

I'm planning on using a 1.5-5x20mm Leupold and I want to get the scope as low as possible so as to keep that solid cheek weld when squeezing a round off.

Anyone been down this path and can recommend some low, low ring sets? Or, am I likely to also have to add a cheek piece to the stock to get what I'm after?

Thanks

Last edited by Puddle; 09/13/19. Reason: english challenged

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
BP-B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I don't know about any other brand rings for No. 1's, but I used Ruger #3's and the same scope when I had my 450/400. I used that set up for load testing, then switched to a Skinner and threw away the insert, bought a front white bead from Brownell's (just a little bigger - wider - than the stock Ruger front sight). I thought it just as quick as a low power scope and much handier. My eyes are 70 years old. At least for me when the scope was on there I could just "throw the gun up" and the cross hairs were right there. Sorry I can't give you any other direction to go with someone else's rings. Good luck with your search. Terry

Last edited by BRLMKR; 09/13/19.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I used Leupold low rings on a No. 1 375 H&H years ago and they are pretty low - actually lower than I liked making loading cumbersome without much clearance between scope and load ramp. I now use Ruger rings with a rear offset ring on all No. 1's...

P
Puddle Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Well, I think I'll start with a set of the suggested Ruger low's and see what gives. I've only ever used Talley and Leupold ring sets in the past so this will be new. If they don't give me what I'm after then I'm only out ~$65 and someone in the extended family will probably have a need for them...

Thanks

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Here is a picture of a very low scope mount on my Simson .405 DR - about as low as you can get:
The grooves for the Talley QD rings are milled into the rear rib:
[Linked Image]

With scope in place:
[Linked Image]

The scope is low enough that the line of sight passes through the V of the express sight standing leaf.
This also allows the use of the Talley QD Peep sight.

Show this to your gunsmith and ask for a quote.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The direct mount to the rib would be nice. Can Talley do this? Last I asked they would not do custom work. If someone has done this a photo would be nice.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Leupold lows are the lowest I have found.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Tejano,
Here is another pic of the Talley compatible rib grooves with my Talley peep sight on my Simson Suhl DR.
[Linked Image]

The gun maker that did this also made and sold such rear ribs to to other gun makers and gun smiths.
The only such gun maker that I know that bought some is W Ellis Brown in FT Collins, Colorado.
His web site is here - www.BundukiPublishing.com

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use Warne Quick Release on mine. It allows you to remove the scope and use the irons if need be.

P
Puddle Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I mounted a 1.5-4x20mm Leupold in Ruger low rings today. Brought the rifle up a dozen times into my usual hard cheek weld and concluded there's just a wee bit of scope height to compensate for. I'm thinking a good cheek pad would fix that.

The Ruger rings appear ok; first time using them so I guess I'll find out soon enough. The Leupold has plenty of eye relief so there'll be no scope tattooing coming from it.

In any case, now a few rounds to bore sight and zero and then start tracking the round count for this scope. I figure 50 - 75 rounds will tell me if the scope is going to behave...

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Alaska Arms rings for Ruger and CZ have been great for me and mount very low.

Semper Fi

P
Puddle Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Hilarious - went to the range today to bore sight the scope. I had blue loctite each ring screw and tightened to 15 inch-lb. On the first round down the barrel all eight screws came loose.

Hmmm... so I re-tighten using a little extra effort, and 3 rounds later I'm zeroed.

I think I need a fresh tube of loctite....

Last edited by Puddle; 09/26/19. Reason: english language challenged

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
726 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 3,129 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,745
Posts18,401,279
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.