Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I am wondering if one mounts a scope, is it better to align the crosshairs with the action as in using two levels in ways described in one of the popularly sold scope mounting tool kits,
or
it it better to align to the center of the earth when long gun is mounted to one's shoulder in a possibly slightly but repeatable canted position, essentially eyeballing it to take into account a less than perfect shoulder mounting and holding for a shot?

Sorry, there may be better ways to set up this question and the issues involved. Maybe someone can state the question or issues better.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I just do it by eye. Throw it up quite a few times and ask yourself "IF" it could go one way to better level it, which way would it be? When you can't decide which way would be better, it's done.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mount the scope square with the rifle, and mount the rifle plumb with the earth. A scope level is a handy teaching tool to build the correct muscle memory when mounting the rifle.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I know that I personally cant the rifle slightly when shooting offhand, but don't cant when shooting sitting off sticks.

So, I would always mount plumb with the earth. I can adjust from there if needed by changing form. But once you have mounted the scope with your preferred cant, it is then off-kilter for any other scenario.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I know that I personally cant the rifle slightly when shooting offhand, but don't cant when shooting sitting off sticks.

So, I would always mount plumb with the earth. I can adjust from there if needed by changing form. But once you have mounted the scope with your preferred cant, it is then off-kilter for any other scenario.

This seems to me like mounting the steering wheel on my truck crooked to compensate for a bad wheel alignment. I would prefer to mount my steering wheel parallel with the tires, and get a wheel alignment done...

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

This seems to me like mounting the steering wheel on my truck crooked to compensate for a bad wheel alignment. I would prefer to mount my steering wheel parallel with the tires, and get a wheel alignment done...

That's actually what I was trying to say. Just mount everything straight and then force your body to adapt correctly from there.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I just do it by eye. Throw it up quite a few times and ask yourself "IF" it could go one way to better level it, which way would it be? When you can't decide which way would be better, it's done.

A trick I use, and actually came up with on my own, is to aim at my refection in a mirror. If the vertical cross hair bisects the muzzle, then the reticle is lined up to suit me. I doesn't matter if the rifle is canted, or hell, even held sideways. If the cross hair bisects the muzzle, you are good to go. Of course this assumes a scope mounted over the bore, not offset for some reason. And you still have to not cant the rifle on extreme long range shots.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

That's actually what I was trying to say. Just mount everything straight and then force your body to adapt correctly from there.

This is the correct answer, always mount the scope square with the rifle. If you're canting the rifle then you need to adjust your form, not mess up the scope/rifle setup.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Last edited by horse1; 08/31/19.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Fireball2

This is purty much what I do.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Ah, my mistake. I misunderstood what you were saying.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It's not as critical how you mount the scope for shooting offhand, but once the distances are stretched out past 300 yards, you need to be sure those crosshairs are level to the world. Then you should also be worrying about a scope reticle anti cant device such as a scope level. This is also very subjective, as some shooters are better than others at naturally holding their rifles level while shooting. For some, an anti cant device isn't necessary until shots are taken well over 600 yards. What also isnt discussed is rifle fit and each shooter is different. Ill give a good example: most rifle manufactures cater to the right handed shooter. If you shoot left handed with a right handed rifle, the natural fit of the stock to the shooter, may actually leave the rifle slightly canted. I for damn sure am not going to throw up my rifle and have to adjust the rifle before a shot every time. Thats just not natural and it takes from the speed and agility of getting on a game animal. For this reason, I'm in agreement with the others about adjusting the crosshairs for your own personal fit. Remember, they need to be level with the world not necessarily the action of the rifle. However, at extreme ranges that most of us will never shoot a game animal, there will be a slight discrepancy in poi because of the axis of the reticle isnt perfectly lined up with the vertical axis of the bore. Where's mathman at. He may be able to trig that error out. That also depends on how far out that alignment is. Likely in a real world situation, you wouldnt notice enough of a difference until way past 800 yards. If we were shooting a mile, my answer would be different.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
It's not as critical how you mount the scope for shooting offhand, but once the distances are stretched out past 300 yards, you need to be sure those crosshairs are level to the world. Then you should also be worrying about a scope reticle anti cant device such as a scope level. This is also very subjective, as some shooters are better than others at naturally holding their rifles level while shooting. For some, an anti cant device isn't necessary until shots are taken well over 600 yards. What also isnt discussed is rifle fit and each shooter is different. Ill give a good example: most rifle manufactures cater to the right handed shooter. If you shoot left handed with a right handed rifle, the natural fit of the stock to the shooter, may actually leave the rifle slightly canted. I for damn sure am not going to throw up my rifle and have to adjust the rifle before a shot every time. Thats just not natural and it takes from the speed and agility of getting on a game animal. For this reason, I'm in agreement with the others about adjusting the crosshairs for your own personal fit. Remember, they need to be level with the world not necessarily the action of the rifle. However, at extreme ranges that most of us will never shoot a game animal, there will be a slight discrepancy in poi because of the axis of the reticle isnt perfectly lined up with the vertical axis of the bore. Where's mathman at. He may be able to trig that error out. That also depends on how far out that alignment is. Likely in a real world situation, you wouldnt notice enough of a difference until way past 800 yards. If we were shooting a mile, my answer would be different.

Assuming the scope is mounted 2" above the bore, and a cant between the reticle and the bore of only 5 degrees, this results in a 0.16 MOA windage offset. A cant of 10 degrees is 0.33 MOA offset, etc.

Nobody is suggesting you adjust the rifle before every shot, but I'm suggesting the OP uses a scope level to practice correctly mounting the rifle to his shoulder to develop the muscle memory of mounting the rifle level each time. Then by mounting the reticle square to the receiver, he'll have developed the muscle memory so that the rifle and the scope are square and plumb with the earth, without having to think about it or adjust each time he shoots.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

I’m really not that sophisticated as I’ve never even thought about some of those things. I just mount the scope and try to make everything look right.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Thanks to all who responded.
Lots of ideas to think about.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Uhhhh....

Level the action then level the scope.

Best of both worlds.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
As Jordan Smith said, “Level the scope so it’s square to the action”(directly above the center of the bore....with no cant). It doesn’t take much to develop the correct muscle memory so that when you bring the rifle to your shoulder it is square and the reticle looks straight. Usually just shouldering the rifle a few times is all it takes and your body begins s to compensate.

Leftybolt

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I leveled mine to the eye until I bought a scope mounting kit. Every scope on every rifle was crooked as hell. Once I mounted them all level with the action it made it much easier to sight in. The bullets on paper went straight up or down when I adjusted elevation, level across the paper, when I adjusted windage. It explained the difficulty I’ve had sighting in at times.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

310 members (264mag, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 32 invisible), 1,589 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,338
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.