Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Ejp1234
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I'm with the guys listing .308 Win....it's likely affected the sale of rifles in every other short action round, but I think it put the biggest kink in .308's with the shooting crowd.

Except you go into most any gun shop and there are plenty of AR-10’s... because there is a huge fad in this country for black rifles currently. Id wager an extremely high percentage of that crowd doesnt even know what a 6.5 is.

Bull scheit, you've never seen an ar10 chambered for 6.5 cm? Trust me, the 308 is taking a back seat to the creed. Even with guys running ar10 rifles. I know, its hard for the 308 fans to accept.

Im not a .308 fan, im a gun fan... im also a fan of common sense... common sense says the vast majority of people who own guns have no clue what a 6.5C is....

BP-B6

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a real hankering for a .260 or a 7-08 but in Iowa there is nothing we can hunt with them except coyote and I have a .243 for that. The Creed doesn't even interest me.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Trust me, you’re an idiot.

Funny you’ve jumped on the creed bandwagon when not long ago anybody that shot a short action was a pu ssy.

I’m going to hunt the creed this year, I’ll let you know if it takes over for the 308.

You continue to grind away killing paper at 100 yds and telling us all how great you are.

Find any of those pics yet?

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Bull scheit, you've never seen an ar10 chambered for 6.5 cm? Trust me, the 308 is taking a back seat to the creed. Even with guys running ar10 rifles. I know, its hard for the 308 fans to accept.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Truth is, there are a bunch of cartridges that will do an excellent job in most of our paper punching and hunting situations. Over the years, there have been many new cartridges burst on the scene that got everyone's attention. My policy is that they are all good in one way or another and I need to accumulate as many rifles in as many different calibers as I can. The only problem that creates is figuring out which one to grab on the way out the door.
Phil

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
25-06

NRA lifetime member
IC B2

C
CP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
The Creedmoor’s hype produced a different outcome for me. I probably would have never been interested in a 6.5-anything had it not been for all of the fuss about the Creedmoor. However, I found a Tikka T3x stainless Hunter in a 260 Rem. and I joined the 6.5 club by adopting this stepchild cartridge. At the 300 and 400 meter backstops, I have put up some of the very best groups in my life with this little guy. My 260 is pleasant to shoot, easy to reload for, damn accurate, has legs, and it is just an all around fun cartridge for me. I am delighted that the Creedmoor brought me to the 6.5 party, but I just ended up with a different partner. CP.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by CP
The Creedmoor’s hype produced a different outcome for me. I probably would have never been interested in a 6.5-anything had it not been for all of the fuss about the Creedmoor. However, I found a Tikka T3x stainless Hunter in a 260 Rem. and I joined 6.5 club by adopting this stepchild cartridge. At the 300 and 400 meter backstops, I have put up some of the very best groups in my life with this little guy. My 260 is pleasant to shoot, easy to reload for, damn accurate, has legs, and it is just an all around fun cartridge for me. I am delighted that the Creedmoor brought me to the 6.5 party, but I just ended up with a different partner. CP.

Exactly. I have several calibers, but started the 6.5 thing with my .260s. I went that way, because I already had lots of .308 brass. I now have two of them and have a Creed and soon to have another. My other rifles have been doing lots of safe time, since going the 6.5 route. I like the Creed for longer bullets, due to magazine length and the 130-class bullets in my .260s.

I think that the Creed has taken over as the "first" rifle for young people and women, because it has a mild recoil that needs no reduction, plus hits plenty hard for any first-time hunter. It just fills the gap a bit better than a .243, in my opinion, but there was no fly on the .243 that I had either!

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't understand why it has to be a "which cartridges has the 6.5 Creed hurt most", either-or scenario... most of us have more than one rifle, and more than one chambering. The Creed is just one more added to a battery...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The 6.5 Creedmoor is doing a pretty respectable job of sweeping aside a wide range of short action and small bore low power cartridges. From a big game hunting utility perspective it's got the .243, .257 Roberts, .25-06, .260 and .270 solidly beat. The 7mm-08, 7x57 and .280 retain a hair of additional utility, but only with 175s in a suitably twisted barrel, so they're nearly sunk too. The .308 and .30-06 still have some utility for longer bore life, and as crossover hoofed animal/bear rounds. But it's looking more and more like the .308 will be autloader only and the .30-06 will get what it deserves, which is obscurity. We're not there yet but getting there.

The rounds that are safe from the 6.5CM are the .280 AI and 7mm magnums. It really can't come close to the performance, although the 6.5 PRC and the 6.5 WSM if ever adequately standardized are possible competitors.

On the dangerous game crossover end the medium bore magnums continue to dominate as they should.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 09/18/19.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Might be dependent on where one lives, what he hunts and what kind of critters frequent the area. I don't know any one here in Alaska that favors the Creed over their "old Betsy" they have used for years. No one is giving up their .270, 30-06, .35 Whelan or .300 and .338 Mag. for the small Creedmoor bullet and case. Even though the 6.5 Creedmoor can reliably put good sized critters down with a good bullet in the right place at the right speed, the hunters I know prefer some thing bigger.

If I was state side I would use my T3X Superlite Creed on most things. I am aware of a couple of guys doing good hunting and good kills with it, but they are all I am aware of. Most guys I know that have years of hunting under their belts know a bear is not behind every bush waiting to maul and eat them. But, most find comfort and confidence hunting with some thing that is proven to have all of the "right stuff" for a big bear if needed because that load will also dispatch moose and caribou. I like shooting my CTR and Superlite Creeds and know the little Creed would have worked well on the 44 inch bull moose I caught in the open at less then 200 yards Sept. 1st and shot with my .338 Win. and 225 grain TTSX.

I like shooting, hunting and guns, always have. I know many Alaskan's who are hunters, I know fewer that I consider hunter shooters and hand loaders and fewer yet I consider shooters and hand loaders. I know several like me who got the 6.5 Creed for a son, daughter or grandkid or for range use banging steel. I like it and hope to see some caribou, moose and black bear taken with it by one of the grandkids.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
...and the .30-06 will get what it deserves, which is obscurity. We're not there yet but getting there.

Did the ol’ ‘06 pee in your cheerios? 😳

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Location, location, Location

Plus

Application

I’d say 243 for either. Maybe 7/08 too. Mayyyyybe 270?

It still lacks the frontal .30 cal size to punish inside of 250 yards for northeast medium to large game HUNTING. I don’t see how it competes in that role, bunting, in the woods, in the NE, with .308 or 06. Inside of 250 yards it definitely does not. So it isn’t pushing

Target, it’s going to push the .308 off.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The 6.5 Creedmoor is doing a pretty respectable job of sweeping aside a wide range of short action and small bore low power cartridges. From a big game hunting utility perspective it's got the .243, .257 Roberts, .25-06, .260 and .270 solidly beat. The 7mm-08, 7x57 and .280 retain a hair of additional utility, but only with 175s in a suitably twisted barrel, so they're nearly sunk too. The .308 and .30-06 still have some utility for longer bore life, and as crossover hoofed animal/bear rounds. But it's looking more and more like the .308 will be autloader only and the .30-06 will get what it deserves, which is obscurity. We're not there yet but getting there.

The rounds that are safe from the 6.5CM are the .280 AI and 7mm magnums. It really can't come close to the performance, although the 6.5 PRC and the 6.5 WSM if ever adequately standardized are possible competitors.

On the dangerous game crossover end the medium bore magnums continue to dominate as they should.

Steaming pile of chit post .laughing

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
Might be dependent on where one lives, what he hunts and what kind of critters frequent the area. I don't know any one here in Alaska that favors the Creed over their "old Betsy" they have used for years. No one is giving up their .270, 30-06, .35 Whelan or .300 and .338 Mag. for the small Creedmoor bullet and case. Even though the 6.5 Creedmoor can reliably put good sized critters down with a good bullet in the right place at the right speed, the hunters I know prefer some thing bigger.

If I was state side I would use my T3X Superlite Creed on most things. I am aware of a couple of guys doing good hunting and good kills with it, but they are all I am aware of. Most guys I know that have years of hunting under their belts know a bear is not behind every bush waiting to maul and eat them. But, most find comfort and confidence hunting with some thing that is proven to have all of the "right stuff" for a big bear if needed because that load will also dispatch moose and caribou. I like shooting my CTR and Superlite Creeds and know the little Creed would have worked well on the 44 inch bull moose I caught in the open at less then 200 yards Sept. 1st and shot with my .338 Win. and 225 grain TTSX.

I like shooting, hunting and guns, always have. I know many Alaskan's who are hunters, I know fewer that I consider hunter shooters and hand loaders and fewer yet I consider shooters and hand loaders. I know several like me who got the 6.5 Creed for a son, daughter or grandkid or for range use banging steel. I like it and hope to see some caribou, moose and black bear taken with it by one of the grandkids.

Good post 1Ak.

I think Llama Bob was looking for the sarcasm icon smile

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
25/06 could feel it. So I could see that taking a bite in the ass, but i’d Still reach for or buy another of those first.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Not so sure about the 25-06 being in jeopardy either.

Here is a link to a good article comparing them:

Ron Spomer 25-06 and 6.5 Creedmoor

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Agreed. I’m just speculating. It was/has never really been a wildly popular round, in the first place. Like, before I was born. But I like it better than 6.5 CM inside of 400 yards in a big way.

Maybe someone like Horny or whomever else will begin to pay attention to it and market fantastic loads.

I still would take it over the creed. For certain things.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
...and the .30-06 will get what it deserves, which is obscurity. We're not there yet but getting there.

Did the ol’ ‘06 pee in your cheerios? 😳

Must have.😉 The old otter six has taken on all comers for a long long time. Done quite well too I might add. Don't think any of the Creedmoor family of fine cartridges is going to topple it. Accurate,trendy,pleasant to shoot and efficient, but it won't ever fill the ought sixes boots. There's something about a 180 partition at 2,750 fps that levels a lot of playing fields in a non magnum package.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Well, I have a much harder time wanting a 308 since I drank the KoolAid. And, I'd like to add, I don't have a quilt!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Well, I have a much harder time wanting a 308 since I drank the KoolAid. And, I'd like to add, I don't have a quilt!

On the opposite side of that, I have purchased a 308 Winchester since I bought my 6.5 CM. Not to say I don’t like the Creedmoor; I do. And it shoots great and will be my main whitetail rifle this Fall. But, it won’t replace my 7mm-08’s or my .308. And like Brad asked, “why does a great, good shooting, relatively new cartridge have to hurt other great, good shooting, older cartridges? It may in the short run, cause some to buy it instead of another just because they want to try it and may find that it fits a need in their safe. But in the long run, I think most will find that there is definitely a place for the older great cartridges.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
685 members (10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 76 invisible), 3,090 guests, and 1,469 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,678
Posts18,399,550
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.