Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My neighbor can over yesterday asking to borrow my torque wrench and boresighter to remount his older glossed VX3 3.5-10x40 on a Browning BAR.

He’d had it mounted on an old Remington 7mag for the last 20 years. Since upgrading to a VX5 scope for his 7mag, he wanted to repurpose the VX3 on his BAR....But, the scopes elevation wouldn’t track...He’d turn the turret up and the crosshairs wouldn’t move, then all of a sudden, it would start creeping up slightly, until he’d run out of elevation.

He sends the scope to Leupold and 1.5 weeks later he’s at my door asking for tools and a boresighter. I’m helping and I see the same issues happening that caused him to send the scope in for repairs...Neighbor is now ultra pissed. I just shrugged and said, “Well you got 20 good years out of it.”

He comes back tonight to tell me he called Leupold today and they said they checked his scope and it was within their specifications for accurate tracking. He asked them what exactly was that supposed to mean, being the turret gets turned but the crosshairs don’t move until he’s almost out of adjustment...The Leupold CS dude said that’s how the scope works...Neighbor is looking at me with disbelief and frustration...

I asked what he said to the guy after that answer. He said I asked who makes a good scope? The Leupold dude said Nightforce. LMFAO!

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Beaver10
My neighbor can over yesterday asking to borrow my torque wrench and boresighter to remount his older glossed VX3 3.5-10x40 on a Browning BAR.

He’d had it mounted on an old Remington 7mag for the last 20 years. Since upgrading to a VX5 scope for his 7mag, he wanted to repurpose the VX3 on his BAR....But, the scopes elevation wouldn’t track...He’d turn the turret up and the crosshairs wouldn’t move, then all of a sudden, it would start creeping up slightly, until he’d run out of elevation.

He sends the scope to Leupold and 1.5 weeks later he’s at my door asking for tools and a boresighter. I’m helping and I see the same issues happening that caused him to send the scope in for repairs...Neighbor is now ultra pissed. I just shrugged and said, “Well you got 20 good years out of it.”

He comes back tonight to tell me he called Leupold today and they said they checked his scope and it was within their specifications for accurate tracking. He asked them what exactly was that supposed to mean, being the turret gets turned but the cross don’t move until he’s almost out of adjustment...The Leupold CS dude said that’s how the scope works...Neighbor is looking at me with disbelief and frustration...

I asked what he said to the guy after that answer. He said I asked who makes a good scope? The Leupold dude said Nightforce. LMFAO!

😎

Oh, that is fu cking funny. I was at the range last friday and 2 Leupold employees were up there shooting. One was testing out a new heavy barreled Savage. He had a nice Leupold VX5 sitting on top. It wouldn't track for chit either. I almost said something, but was nice and kept my comments to myself. Before the guy even shot the rifle, I said that rifle should be a tackdriver. He commented on it being new. I watched as he shot 5 shots into a 3" group. He said, "this ammo is chit"!! He then tried some different ammo and it printed 9" low and 4 inches to the left from the first group. He fired off 3 shots and it looked to be about a 5" group. That kind of inaccuracy was not all attributed to the rifle. The Leupold employee didn't know how to shoot said rifle and it was obvious the scope had some issues. I damned near said, hey do you want me to shoot that rifle for you to see what's going on with it..... The whole thing was quite comical.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Beaver, not sure that you understand what has happened with that scope.

Barrels, actions may tilt a barrel way off center line. Often, the barrel was drilled in such a way that the bore is off center in the barrel or exiting at an angle. Then the only option is for the scope to adjust to that mis alignment. Scopes only have so much adjustment, so you have to go to a scope that has much more adjustment.

I have had one bad leupold in 35 years, and for a production item, that is not a bad track history.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have 30 plus Leupold scopes, I have no issues with them. I’ve had to shim a couple, because I didn’t have enough elevation. I have a couple of 99’s I needed to use the Burris offset inserts, because I didn’t have enough windage, I’m sorry your friend is having issues, I’m sure he is frustrated.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Here we go! It's pile on time! Had a Leopold mounted on a rifle that fell out of a scabbard on a horse and dented the objective bell, damn thing wouldn't track after that. Sent it in and customer service was crap, took 11 days to get it back and the jerks didn't even charge me!

Last edited by Switch; 09/17/19.
IC B2

Y
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Y

He comes back tonight to tell me he called Leupold today and they said they checked his scope and it was within their specifications for accurate tracking. He asked them what exactly was that supposed to mean, being the turret gets turned but the crosshairs don’t move until he’s almost out of adjustment...The Leupold CS dude said that’s how the scope works...Neighbor is looking at me with disbelief and frustration...

😎

Well based on my own experience with Leupold over a period of many years, i have a problem with the story.
For example, about 6 years ago i bought a gun from a friend I didn’t want or need. But it had a nice old 3.5x10 Leupold on it which i did want. I already had 2 others on other guns, but had a need for another. I didn’t like the reticle however and sent it to Leupold for a reticle change for which they wanted $90.
A couple weeks later i received a card asking me to call them about my scope, and gave me the work order #.
When i did, the tech told me that they had discovered a problem in the scope when they checked it out.
And due to the age of the scope they no longer had the needed part to fix it. So they offered to replace the scope with a new one of the
Same description as the old one. But if i wanted the reticle change i would still have to pay the difference. So i ended up with a brand new 3.5x10 VX3 for 90 bucks replacing the one that was about 30 years old.
As for the dialing issues, we do lots of that in our PA long range only camp. And there has never been a single issue with any of the Leupold scopes with regard to that issue.

Last edited by yobuck; 09/17/19.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Operator error

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
So the elevation adjustment was either sticking or the spring is worn out/broken. Not working acceptably for sure and not acceptable customer service either.

Your neighbor might try running the adjustments on the scope up and down, back and forth, 25 times from end-to-end. Sometimes this is all it takes to redistribute the grease and loosen the spring so that it works well again for another decade. If the spring is somehow broken or truly worn out, then it won't help any. But it is a free fix that seems to limber up about half of the Leupolds I've tried it on.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’ve used Leupolds almost exclusively since 1974. Suppose I have 20 or so at this time. Have had zero problems with their rifle scopes.

NRA Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here we go again...

Beav you are a chit stirrer....

Leupolds are great I have 132 of them and nary a problemo
GFY... smile

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well damn! I should have noticed the barrel looked more like a dogs hind leg than a barrel...Laffin.

And that those stupid turrets are only made for appearance purposes and aren’t really supposed to move or adjust a reticle...Laffin at you more.

1.5 MOA of adjustment producing 1/2 MOA of reticle movement is good for you guys? I guess. SMFH 😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't forget to tap on it with a rock after you turn the dial..... rookies sheesh

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Operator error

Since you can’t post pics of your hunting endeavors - Maybe you can share your secrets on which dress and purse combo you’re planning on wearing in the field this year for the TN deer opener?

Show us something, anything, you know how to operate, aside from your boyfriends ass. 😂🖕🏿🖕🏾🖕🏼😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by irfubar
Don't forget to tap on it with a rock after you turn the dial..... rookies sheesh

Brother, I was more surprised at what the Loopy CS rep said to my neighbor about the scope being within “their” spec.

Holly Shît! That ain’t a spec...That’s just calling turrets that don’t incrementally move, the new normal. 😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Brother, I was more surprised at what the Loopy CS rep said to my neighbor about the scope being within “their” spec.

Holly Shît! That ain’t a spec...That’s just calling turrets that don’t incrementally move the new normal. 😎

I understand brother Beav.... seems Leupold lives in a fantasy world...... but the fanboys never disappoint.
I got into dialing Leupold's back in the day when Big Stick had a you tube video playing fetch with his young son tossing a Leupold 3,5-10 and claiming how tuff they are, well I fell for it and it cost me.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It’s all part of the fun if you’re into guns, optics and reloading. I’m losing patience having to climb over rifles to get at the ones I want in the safes...Must sell guns...😬😎

“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well damn! I should have noticed the barrel looked more like a dogs hind leg than a barrel...Laffin.

And that those stupid turrets are only made for appearance purposes and aren’t really supposed to move or adjust a reticle...Laffin at you more.

1.5 MOA of adjustment producing 1/2 MOA of reticle movement is good for you guys? I guess. SMFH 😎

Obviously its good enough for some. The fan boys just dont twist turrets or care about it holding zero. They just blame it on the rifle or the stock warped or some other horse chidt.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Never use a rock on a turret, just a hard whack with your palm will do it!

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Obviously its good enough for some. The fan boys just dont twist turrets or care about it holding zero. They just blame it on the rifle or the stock warped or some other horse chidt.

Wrong, as usual.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

This works best cool

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

467 members (222Sako, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 36 invisible), 1,794 guests, and 1,026 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,179
Posts18,465,604
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.