Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Should have known, coming from one of the most experienced guys on the forum! Going back in the next few days to try & fill another tag. If I even get with 10 yds of mud I'll shoot myself in the foot. Probably take the OM 45 shorty & as always the 357 Maximum in case I get within the same zip code as an antelope. If the sprinklers are on the Alfalfa I won't have a chance but if they're off & the antelope have to travel to water, then there's a slim chance.

Dick

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Good story. Reminds me a little about a friend of mine who shot a big turkey on the other side of a creek, and had to swim it in mid-April in order to get it. He said he'd never do that again, as no turkey was worth being in water that cold.

So, will you shoot one on the other side of water again such as that?

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Sounds good Dick....hope you make a full recovery...

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
that's a good hunten story . glad you came out all rite

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats. Great story. Crossing a stream is never fun.

Been stuck in mud before. We were doing a fisheries study in college. I was behind my group and wanted to catch up so when I came to a feeder stream to the lake, I decided to cut across the mud flats rather than walk around. Big mistake. I didn't make it across the eight feet of mud before I started sinking. I couldn't pull my feet out and I went down to the top of my hip waders.

Out of embarrassment, I tried every technique I had ever read about getting out of quicksand in the "This Happened to Me" stories in Outdoor Life, rather than call for help. I could expand the upper part of the holes, but could not free my feet. I couldn't even get out of the waders. The group came back for me. Had some laughs and took photos to document my moment of need for posterity. The three of them managed to pull my 230lbs out and my waders.

Be very careful of mud flats around streams and lakes. Test for firmness before venturing out. They can be very dangerous.

IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
If I have to shoot one on the other side I'll do it but I won't cross where I can see a lot of mud & the water is deep, I'll just float he deer down stream until I get in a shallow spot where I can get in out pretty easy. I've done it before. This was my first & last attempt at a deep water crossing with a great deal of mud on both sides.

There's also one other option, I can ride a couple of miles & cross over to the other side on the 4 wheeler & probably reach it that way, I've done it once before. I'll be a little more alert this time for sure. Got a new secret weapon today, a new set of very fast Croc's! I'm ready to go back out.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Dick

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1Akshooter, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,378 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,255
Posts18,467,016
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.