Print Thread
Hop To
O
OSU_Sig Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Is anyone running a dedicated 22 caliber centerfire can on their AR? I have a 30 caliber Omega but am considering the purchase of a can especially for my AR's. Thoughts?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm waiting on my stamp. Bought an OSS Helix. It has very low back-pressure so it runs clean. It's supposed to be hearing safe with full power ammo. Simple to clean. My next will likely be a multi cal design.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Tag

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
I talked to the dealer where I bought my last can and asked him this question. He said the reduction gained (2dBs) isn't worth the cost. Recommended against it.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Generally I would say that if you only have 1 or 2 cans there is no need to ever get a dedicated 5.56 can. Having said that though, I have several more cans than that. Once you get up in the neighborhood of 3-5 (or more) centerfire cans, then it can start to make more sense to start buying dedicated cans for specific rifles. My SHTF gun is a Adams 14.5" piston upper with pinned ASR brake, and the can I have on it is an old discontinued Specwar 556K. On a gas gun that can would probably be a tad gassy, but it is not a problem on that piston gun. Size is very good though, and since it was designed specifically for 5.56 the suppression is pretty good. I actually get quite a few comments on how good it sounds, surprising since it is a shorter K version. Another benefit is those old Specwar cans were built like tanks. They can take a lot of heat and abuse, which is a good thing since that is the gun I use when I take classes. Like I said though, that is kind of a specific use, where I knew how it would be used. Having a dedicated, caliber specific, really tough can on that gun is a good thing.

I also have 2 Omegas, one with a flat end cap on my 6.5 Grendel AR, and I run another one swapping between my 243 coyote gun and my 6.5 Creedmoor LR rifle.

Last edited by JTPinTX; 09/20/19.
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Good info JTP. Thanks. I have 3 cans, A Sparrow (rimfire), Kracken (9mm) and my Omega. Based on your feedback, I'm going to continue to entertain the idea.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
On our trust, between me and my oldest son, we have 2 Omegas, a Harvester, and a Sandman TI, all of those are 30 cal. Also 2 Spectre II's, and that Specwar 556 K. Most of my rifles are something other than 223/5.56, mostly larger caliber bolt guns. Honestly I really only have a "need" for one 5.56 can. Capitol Armory had a really good closeout deal on that 556K, plus SiCo had opened up their SPEQ program to veterans that month too. Ended up getting a really good deal on it, like $475 or so for a really tough little can. That helped make the decision much easier. If it hadn't been for that deal, who knows what I would have ended up with. I think the Saker 556 K ended up being the can that replaced the Specwar 556 K. Which is neither here nor there I suppose.

At any rate I do believe that in general it is best to stick with 30 cal can unless you have a good reason not to. A 30 cal is always my default. But, there are situations where a dedicated 556 can make sense. I shoot that Adams piston gun a lot out training. Get it blistering hot, run it hard, that gun never fails to run. Never hiccups. But that has a lot to do with that piston upper. A little heavier, but runs cleaner and cooler. Those things are important when shooting lots of rounds suppressed.

So, I would just say really evaluate what you want it to do for you. Being your second rifle can, if it were me I would have to have a pretty good reason to go dedicated 556. If it is pretty much going to live on an AR, and you plan on another can or two down the road, then maybe it is the right fit for you. Sometimes dealers give good advice, sometimes they are just trying to sell you what is in stock. NFA items are too expensive and take to long to get to get, to end up not getting what you really want.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

716 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 3,083 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,485
Posts18,451,946
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.