Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by stealthgoat
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
... Second highest rated was a Kifaru.

Which Kifaru frame / pack was favorite? I am a Kifaru fan, but haven't tried the newest stuff

thanks,
Tim

IIRC it is a Tactical frame, and the DT2 was the bag. The AMR was also in contention. Really good packs.

The SG R3 3300 was chosen for a 3-5 day, and the DT2 as the 5+ day. However, the R3 5900 is filling the 5+ day role now.

BP-B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Buy a pack/bag for each purpose.

What I eventually settled on over the years buying/testing and using most of the top packs (MR, SG, Kifaru, Exo). I haven't had the need to try Seek Outside yet.

From top...2nd gen Kifaru hunter frame, brown pack is Kifaru 14'r, middle is Stone Glacier Krux frame and last is Stone Glacier Krux frame with a few mods

[Linked Image]

My go to pack for the last 2yrs....modified SG Krux frame with bent/curved aluminum stays to fit my back profile, Kifaru shoulder straps and hip belt.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

163bc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by Holston
How much weight are you planning on carrying? How much volume is needed?

Hauling meat?

I like my Kifaru Mtn Warrior and Duplex frame. Does everything I can imagine I'll need out of a pack.

Hill People Gear makes some really nice stuff as well. I have a couple of their smaller bags, but haven't tried their bigger offerings.

I have no experience with SG or MR, but they're probably on par with the above for durability.

Where are you located in VA?

Mostly needed as a hunting pack with the ability to be used as a carry on and EDC. Meat packing ability is a plus. Mule deer, elk, a lot of deer hunting. I don’t like anything w external frames. Leaning towards Kifaru X-ray or Myster Ranch 3 day assault so far. Can’t seem to find anything that beats them for my needs. I’m in northern Va.

Last edited by 163bc; 09/12/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gotcha.

Can’t help much on internal frames.

Making sure you weren’t local to me, I’d let you try a couple out.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 163bc
Looking for recommendations for a tough durable pack that can function as a hunting pack, travel bag, and bug out bag. I’ve chewed up several of the better known standard grade hunting packs so I’m thinking a military grade pack that can do it all might be better. Been looking hard at Mystery Ranch and Kifaru. Thoughts n opinions welcomed. Thanks

163bc:

IMHO anything that might try to accomplish all of your goals will be a compromise at best. It will do many things sort of OK but it won't do anything great.

If you're going to use something that's a compromise I suggest that you might want to combine a travel pack and a bugout bag. Those uses seem compatible.

But for a hunting pack, you ought to get a hunting pack and use it as a hunting pack. My current go to hunting pack is KUIU Ultra 5500 full kit. But there are other good hunting packs on the market and several have been suggested in previous responses to your post.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by stealthgoat
... Second highest rated was a Kifaru.

Which Kifaru frame / pack was favorite? I am a Kifaru fan, but haven't tried the newest stuff

thanks,
Tim

IIRC it is a Tactical frame, and the DT2 was the bag. The AMR was also in contention. Really good packs.

The SG R3 3300 was chosen for a 3-5 day, and the DT2 as the 5+ day. However, the R3 5900 is filling the 5+ day role now.

thank you sir. Hard to believe, but wasn't that long ago a Tac Tailor Malice with a bazillion pockets was as good as it got : - )

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
... Leaning towards Kifaru X-ray or Myster Ranch 3 day assault so far. Can’t seem to find anything that beats them for my needs. I’m in northern Va. ..

I wish you were closer, as I have an X-ray you could try. I have had several X-rays over the years, and really like it as day or even overnight pack, but I personally don't think it's a great choice for heavy meat hauling. Another pack that I seem to take out more on day hikes now is an old issued London Bridge Geronimo - it's heavy but it fits me well, and I like the pocket lay-out. But again, I don't think it's optimal for heavy meat.

Tim

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
However, I'd go with a Seek Outside pack over any of them. I dislike a few of the changes they've made, but they're damn comfortable and well thought out, as well as being light.

I agree with this. My Seek Outside packs are so comfortable, so light and so strong that they just check all of the boxes for me. I've also used Kifaru in various configurations over the years and still have a couple, which I love. They are just flat-out durable. I've tried all brands mentioned in this thread. The Seek Outside/Paradox and Kifaru are two brands of which I always have at least one.

Pack fit; however, is a very individual matter. One man's most comfortable may be another's worst ever. The good thing about these threads is that usually, quality packs are being recommended. Individual comfort might only be discovered through a very expensive endeavor. If one is lucky he has a friend or two who have a couple of different brands one can try.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 09/17/19.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I answered in my prior post with the mindset of a hunting backpack after reading through the entire thread. I then went back and read the OP wherein the criteria were:
Looking for recommendations for a tough durable pack that can function as a hunting pack, travel bag, and bug out bag.

I am confident in recommending Kifaru to fit those criteria.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I've used Kifaru, Granite Gear, Seek Outside and Stone glacier packs. The Seek outside is far and a away the best when carrying heavier loads. That said I use the Stone Glacier for day hunts because it cinches up the tightest for a compact load. However, the Stone Glacier is just plain awful for heavy loads. It is so narrow that it sways and is unstable with loads over 100 pounds. Not really good for hunts where you carry your camping gear and expect/hope to carry meat. Patrick

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have two MR packs, but only had the internal frame and I was planning on packing out elk, so I swallowed my pride and bought a Kifaru Reckoning with 26” Lite frame and loved it.

Packed in/out 70 pounds and it was effortless on my back.

Drink and be merry for soldiers die for your freedoms.

Semper Fidelis!
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
What do you guys find the life expectancy is on packs? Obviously it depends on the wear and tear, I've had some cheaper packs dry rot after a few years being stored in my closet,

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I own and have used for years: an Alice pack, a couple of Mystery Ranch, a couple of Stone Glacier, and many more older packs (even an old McHale). My favorite of those is the Stone Glacier. The weight, strength, and comfort is the best combo of those. I've never carried a pack that made a 100+ pound load comfortable and I think I'm just too old to carry very heavy loads any more--my hips just groan anymore from such weight. But of those, the SG packs handle it as well as any for me.

F
F
I'd agree with the suggestions to separate hunting and the other uses. I appreciate the recommendations and ideas here but surprised I don't see Badlands packs suggested for hunting use. They are the most durable pack I've had, and comfortable for me under any load size. They are also made out of material that doesn't make as much noise when going through heavy cover, which is most of my hunting when in bad weather. Checks all the boxes of hydration compatible, internal frame, etc.
I have the 2200 and will be looking this year for a smaller pack for day hunts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m happy with my SG with Xcurve frame. I’ve only hauled 6-7 Blacktail down mountains with it so far but no complaints.

Yup.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Badlands can’t hang.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
You might want to take a look at the MR Pop Up 28. I bought and used one for the first time this year on a Wyoming pronghorn hunt. I think it punches all your tickets. As others have stated, it's tough and very well built. Comfort in a pack is very subjective and each pack/individual is different. For me, the PU28 fits and rides very comfortably. YMMV, but I trained with it all summer with loads to 70 lbs and I'm sure it could handle another 20 or so. Since you probably are referring to mostly eastern whitetail hunting, the pack is fairly slim so as not to protrude from your sides while negotiating in thick woods. I put a whole deboned and frozen antelope in mine and it fit quite easily in the airline overhead for the trip home. As a bonus, it also has a meat shelf and expandable frame that I'm told will handle an entire deboned Muley or an elk quarter. I'm very pleased with it.
Good luck with your decision.

Post Script: So, I just noticed the OP is from back in Sept. and I assume you've already made your choice. Curious as to which way you went...

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 11/02/19.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have a kifaru and a stone glacier I have not used an exo or a week outside enough to really comment on them. I have tried them but never put weight in them and done an extended trip.

As for the kifaru and stone glacier I really lean towards the stone glacier. For me, the stone glacier fits just as well as the kifaru and carries weight just as well, I just don’t see the downside to stone glacier packs since they are comfortable and carry well for me.

Kifaru makes good stuff but I find my pack to be heavy and complex, with like 8 straps, pockets strapped on etc my kifaru weighs about 5 lbs more than my stone glacier pack and like I said its pretty complex.

I’m not saying I don’t like the kifaru, I am saying that I find the stone glacier to suit my needs while being more streamlined and lighter in weight.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The MR Pintler has been very good to me. I like it!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
If you don't want to spend a lot 5.11 tactical isn't bad.

Link

Phil

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
658 members (17Fan, 1badf350, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 72 invisible), 2,653 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,603
Posts18,398,309
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.