Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KC
Katadyn Hiker Pro

Katadyn Hiker Pro

I have one of these, had it for ~7-8 years now. Works great, just used it last weekend in fact. Not sure if it is the pro model or not, but a great piece of gear either way.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
BP-B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
MSR Miniworks

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
These days I carry a Lifestraw in my daypacks, A Sawyer Mini goes for anything over one day, An MSR Miniworks EX was my first good filter and I still have one in camp. A Sawyer Mini will do it all but a Lifestraw is so convenient it spoiled me. I first used it on an August-Sept sheep hunt. We were out of water so we went over to a spring and drank bunches, A great way o finish a day. Filled our containers, bibbied up and were good for heading out the next morning.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Survivor Filter and/or MSR WhisperLite Universal, DPower or SnowPeak GigaPower 2.0 stove.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nothing here in Montana, but if I were in an area I needed something I'd use a Sawyer, or just pack some Aquamira tabs.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I filter or treat everything. Mixture of Sawyer or RapidPure inlines- big fan of the functionality of just scooping water into the Source bladder, and filter/drink as required. Aquamira for treating.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Man, I've treated water maybe 15 times in my life, all of it in the Eastern US. Never in Montana, going back to 1992.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
Man, I've treated water maybe 15 times in my life, all of it in the Eastern US. Never in Montana, going back to 1992.

Yessir, everyone has to make that call for themselves. I use to hate the hassle of filtering, but the inlines have changed that. I've only used tablets a handful of times- the taste ruins it for me.

I had a close friend get very sick from 'pristine Alberta water', a couple of years ago. He was months getting back to himself. In some ways I still don't think he has.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Fond memories of drinking from lakes in Northern Ontario canoe trips without treatment when young. Didn't get sick those times.

Yeah, have a climbing buddy that followed that school of thought...told me he was going to drink from a waterfall (true Wilderness area)...told him he should treat it first...he was sick from giardia (giardiasis) for oh...about six weeks.

Sez he'll NEVER do THAT again!

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Just takes one round with the beaver fever to get a guy filtering...(grin)

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I bought a Katadyn Hiker Pro. Works great.

I never used one in the BWCA until I started hearing story's of people getting sick from drinking out of the lakes.
The BWCA isn't as "pristine" as the tree huggers like to portray.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Fond memories of drinking from lakes in Northern Ontario canoe trips without treatment when young. Didn't get sick those times.

Yeah, have a climbing buddy that followed that school of thought...told me he was going to drink from a waterfall (true Wilderness area)...told him he should treat it first...he was sick from giardia (giardiasis) for oh...about six weeks.

Sez he'll NEVER do THAT again!
Things have changed in the last couple of decades. Giardia is now epidemic. It has spread nationwide and is now found even in water in the highest mountains and almost right out of springs. Drinking any unfiltered water anywhere is risky these days.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I use Iodine, Regular Sawyer, or MSR Guardian depending. Silty Rivers or lots of cattle or just not good water sources I'll take the guardian, a lot fo clear running streams, Iodine or regular sawyer

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MSR Guardian or a clean sock

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I've read that most people do not get giardia (they tested this unethically on a prison population in the 1950s) - 1 in 8 people carry giardia naturally. Hard to test for because maybe you carry giadia but it isn't what got you sick in the first place. Most people get giardia from day care or their fellow hunters rather than the water. In my opinion water filters are just an overblown 'scare'. I have always just drunk the available water- avoid the stuff with green scum and obvious contamination. And I've never gotten sick either. But then again maybe I'm a carrier!
Patrick

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
could be a bit overblown but what a few of my buddies have gone through with it makes me filter.

Last edited by Calvin; 09/17/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Things have changed in the last couple of decades. Giardia is now epidemic. It has spread nationwide and is now found even in water in the highest mountains and almost right out of springs. Drinking any unfiltered water anywhere is risky these days.

Giardia is not an "epidemic", it's "endemic" (native to certain areas). Giardia has been in the world for time immemorial...

Aside from 24hr Campfire speculation, incidences of Giardia are on the decrease according to the CDC:

[Linked Image from cdc.gov]

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss6403a2.htm

"For the first time since 2002, giardiasis rates appear to be decreasing."

I've had waterborne diseases, but both occurrences happened when I knew better to drink the water. I got Giardia around 1989 drinking from a farm stream on a hot summer day when I knew better to do so, and in India (HEP-A) in 1984 when my Halazone tablets got separated from me on a long flight from the USA, and I gave in to drinking water on a hot August day from the tap in my hotel.

Aside from that, I've backpacked 1000's of miles, Georgia to Alaska, Maine to Montana, and never had an issue... but I also don't get sick.

Were I carrying a filter, which I would do in some areas, I'd use a Sawyer gravity system.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calvin
Just takes one round with the beaver fever to get a guy filtering...(grin)

This^^^^^

As a professional hydrologist, I never drink raw unfiltered/untreated water. I've tested alot of pristine water and it all has varying amounts of bacteria, mostly coliform bacteria of some sort and concentration. Had a dose of Giardia a few years back. I never drank any raw water but did gut an elk on that trip. One round of Giardia is usually enough to 'encourage' filtering.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
filters are a PITA, just take some potable aqua and some crystal light to throw in it. You get used to the iodine taste which mostly gets masked by the crystal light. I would probably carry a filter straw too just for the heck of it. but potable aqua is easier.

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 10/17/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kevin_T
I use Iodine, Regular Sawyer, or MSR Guardian depending. Silty Rivers or lots of cattle or just not good water sources I'll take the guardian, a lot fo clear running streams, Iodine or regular sawyer

Not big on the RapidPure filter anymore?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
104 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,350 guests, and 683 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,869
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.