Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Loading for my new 26 Nosler and found a good load for the 140 Nosler AB, but interested in results others are having with the 143 ELD's and ELDX's on game and accuracy in your rifles? I tried the 142 ABLR, but haven't found a load the rifle liked yet. Probably try again after elk season to see what it takes to shoot them.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
if you found an accurate load using the 140 accubond you needn't look further imho. accubond flies like a ballistic tip and hits like a partition. i mean come on whats not to like in a hunting....or anything else bullet??????
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I agree... just wondering if anyone had found any advantages to the high BC bullets that seem especially suited to this cartridge. Seems like a .700 BC bullet starting out at 3200+ fps would be the ultimate long range bullet. Not that the Accubond is any slouch... and I don't have a lot of experience with the Accubond- been shooting Partitions for about as long as they've been out though and very happy with them...

Thanks,
Bob

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
How far will you be shooting?

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hard to say in the area we hunt. Could be 100 yards, or 800 yards. Last elk I shot in that unit was my longest ever at 700 yards with my .338 WM..

Bob

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’m using the 140 Accubonds in my 264 at 3225. I know there might be better but I wouldn’t trust the 143 on a big elk joint at those sorta speeds myself. I have a lot of faith In the Accubonds on elk so, my opinion, if you have a load, shoot your dope and I think you’ll like what happens.

Hope you have a great hunt Bob!

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I’d stick with the Accubonds. They seem to just work. I may be one of the few that are not a fan of ABLR but I’ve seen some not so great results with them ( which can happen with any bullet) I usually see if my gun shoots accubonds or partitions when reloading for them and go from there

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JerradPelzer
I’d stick with the Accubonds. They seem to just work. I may be one of the few that are not a fan of ABLR but I’ve seen some not so great results with them ( which can happen with any bullet) I usually see if my gun shoots accubonds or partitions when reloading for them and go from there

Amen brother.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
After watching how 143s perform at CM/260, etc velocities I wouldn’t dare run them in a 26 Nosler.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With that cartridge, I’d be far more worried about what bullet works at <200 yards than what works at 800.

I have no idea what a “143 ELD” is but I wouldn’t use it on game in a 26 Nosler. Same goes for the 140 and 147 ELD-M, although I think they’d be great at 200-800 yards.

The 143 ELD-X has the interlock ring so it might hold up at 3K impact velocity.

The 142 ABLR is bonded so I would trust it at any distance you’re likely to shoot. It will certainly outperform just about anything past 500.

The 140 AB will not be your best friend past 500, although it will certainly work farther than that. But from 5-500 yards, it should be the most reliable.

If I could get the 142 ABLR to shoot (my rifle LOVES them), it would be my choice for those distances. ELD-X a close second, followed by 140 AB.

Limit it to 600, and the AB wins by a landslide for durability up close.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by beretzs
I’m using the 140 Accubonds in my 264 at 3225. I know there might be better but I wouldn’t trust the 143 on a big elk joint at those sorta speeds myself. I have a lot of faith In the Accubonds on elk so, my opinion, if you have a load, shoot your dope and I think you’ll like what happens.

Curious as to if you have killed an ELK?

BOB I love nosler bullets. I’ve seen coolers full of elk taken with them. Literally.

That said if you are chasing BC the 143eldx did not disappoint. this cow was 490 and 509 yards. Two weeks ago.
My uncle had an early cow tag😎.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Rifle was a 6.5saum pushed the 143 at 3080.
I would not think twice to shoot an elk with the 143 eld at any range I could make a good hit at from near to far.

Ps this is a cooler!

Not this!

PSS the 142 LRAB might need to jump more than what you would think😉 they don’t kiss well from my experience.

Last edited by fredIII; 09/17/19.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys, just the info I needed. I may play around with the ABLR a bit after elk season to see what I can do with them in this rifle. May have to play with seating depth and a bit of powder adjustment....

Thanks,
Bob

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by fredIII

BOB I love nosler bullets. I’ve seen coolers full of elk taken with them. Literally.

That said if you are chasing BC the 143eldx did not disappoint. this cow was 490 and 509 yards. Two weeks ago.

I would not think twice to shoot an elk with the 143 eld at any range I could make a good hit at from near to far.

Ps this is a cooler!

Not this!

PSS the 142 LRAB might need to jump more than what you would think😉 they don’t kiss well from my experience.

I have killed a few Fred, but only with Partitions, Accubonds, Bitterroots, TSX, TTSX, X, Sciroccos. Been in on the killing of a couple with plain old Interlocks, Speer and Tipped Bear Claw and that’s about it.

That’s a cool example with the 143. Looks pretty good to me coming from the faster 6.5. Again, didn’t make it sound like I was saying they won’t work or are wrong, just that I’ve tended to use stouter bullets. This year I’ll use Scenars in my 300 RUM since a few have done so well with them.

Awesome pictures from the elk. Congrats.

Last edited by beretzs; 09/17/19.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Ps this is a cooler!

Not this!

Looks like pretty darned good performance from the ELDX's Fred. I've heard different things from different posters on their results, but still not convinced either way. Looks like I'm probably going to be locked into the AB's for now and play with the ABLR's after the season. With their long, thin shape, I'm pretty sure I can't get them close to the leade and still fit them in my mag box so I may have to do some experimenting. The AB's shot around 1/2" once I found the sweet spot, so that is good enough for me any day for game.
Just wanting to play a bit with the new toy and see what it really likes. If it likes the highest BC bullets I can find it is just icing on the cake and more seat time behind this thing. I hope to have a couple bullets to recover this year to show for it, but they have to cooperate to make it work this year.... wink
Thanks to everyone who contributed to the thread. Saves me a lot of chasing my tail and extra cash on components I may not be able to use.

Bob

Last edited by Sheister; 09/17/19.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Had to ask Nothing personal!

Last edited by fredIII; 09/18/19.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
BOB the 142 LRAB wanted to jump .040” In my 264wm had a factory sendero twisted wrong. and .075” in my 6.5x284 8t benchmark that’s now toast and going to become a 7-08AI with a brux AMU at 22”.

Last edited by fredIII; 09/17/19.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good info Fred. That seems like a lot of jump when I'm used to .010 or less in most of my rifles.... I've got a Rock 5R 8 twist on this thing. Seems to be okay so far.. I'll try the extra jump on those ABLR, I still have about 30 or 40 left to try so maybe something will work ....Here is the new toy....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'm really curious how badly this thing is going to tear up a deer at any sane range....

Bob

Last edited by Sheister; 09/17/19.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Nice wood.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Had to ask Nothing personal!

Nope, didn't take it that way at all. I wonder all the time about how many elk folks have taken when they recommend "rifles, bullets, etc" as well. Probably, like you, I grew up with the same thoughts that bullets had to be wrecking ball tough in order to kill elk, and penetrate from corner to corner on everything. My personal experience has been the bullets that expand wide and hold up to get from one side to the other are about as good as it gets. If you held a gun to my head, I really like how the Scirocco's have worked and my old favorite is still the BBC's. I have tried the ABLR's thinking they would be excellent bullets, but in the few rifles I have tried them in, they haven't been nearly as repeatable in accuracy as others. Probably half wore out my 300 RUM barrel trying to make the 210 ABLR's shoot, then on a whim I tried the 220 Scenars and I couldn't put a bad combo together with those.

Bob, that 26 is some kinda good looking buddy!

Semper Fi
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The ELD-X is a cup and core bullet with the poor weight retention common to the type. If you intend to shoot animals bigger than an antelope or white tail, stick with the Accubond.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 17CalFan, 163bc, 10Glocks, 52 invisible), 2,294 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,234
Posts18,466,711
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.