Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Well my oldest boy and I headed North on Thursday with plans for 4-5 days of hunting. My youngest backed out unfortunately so it was just the two of us. Made the drive up, then a short boat ride. Set up camp that afternoon and went for a walk to see what was up. The first night we saw 15-20 cows and calves milling around, no bulls though.

Friday morning we got out of the tent and had another cow and calf playing on the far bank of the river. That was fun to watch! We took another walk but didn't see any animals moving. It was pretty warm and the whitesocks were out in force. Made it back to camp, looked up and saw another cow and calf, soon followed by 25 or so more animals. There were 6 bulls in the group, none huge but we're not real picky. Made a move to get ahead of them and caught the last one in the group still in the open. A short 75yd shot with my old 8mm mauser dropped it where it stood, which happened to be only 50yds from the river.

We got it cut up, bagged, and into the boat by about 1pm. The temps got up into the low 60's so we decided to get the heck out of there with the meat. With only one tag there wasn't much sense in hanging around. So all in all it was a fun trip, albeit a super short one. Heart and backstrap on the menu tonight!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BP-B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nice work!! Looks like a fun trip, caribou is damn good grub too

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations!

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Congrats.....you’re liv’n the “good life”! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Judman

Always a good time when your out hunting and camping with your kid! My family likes caribou better than moose so we cross all fingers and toes for a tag every year! Haha! Gonna hammer some backstraps and heart tomorrow. Had to cancel it for tonight as momma had a ladies bday dinner to go to. She didn’t want to miss out!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats...thanks for sharing the hunt. Great pictures.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
From a ga boy knowing zero about caribou... are tags for bulls only?

You'll shoot your eye out
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mgw619

Depends on the hunt and the strength of the herd. This year my hunt was to be bulls only at first, but after the summer herd census they allowed for either sex.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
Originally Posted by Judman

Always a good time when your out hunting and camping with your kid! My family likes caribou better than moose so we cross all fingers and toes for a tag every year! Haha! Gonna hammer some backstraps and heart tomorrow. Had to cancel it for tonight as momma had a ladies bday dinner to go to. She didn’t want to miss out!

What tag do I apply for?? 🤣🤣🤣

Miss the days when my boy was little, but he just gave me a grandson on the 2nd, so it starts all over again!!

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Mgw619

Depends on the hunt and the strength of the herd. This year my hunt was to be bulls only at first, but after the summer herd census they allowed for either sex.

And other factors.. such as which herd/location/GMU. Varies.

Wife and I hunted 40 mile herd this year, off the Steese Hwy north of Fairbanks. One either-sex registration permit each. Those August bulls are prime!

A bit of a circus, at least the first day. Season is closed by emergency order when quota is reached. This year, 5 days. I took a fair bull day one, wife same on day 2 - then we had to haul ass for home before the meat spoiled- 700 miles . Temps were in 60's up there, 70's near home, 50's at night. Meat was just about rightly aged (4 days, including kill day) when we processed - mine first, one day, hers the next - tho it's better longer and cooler. About 38 degrees and 10 days is good! But we don't have a controlled temp meat place. Am considering a couple big coolers and ice, if there is a next time. Less hurried trip that way -

I was thinking just yesterday I maybe should have left a snowmachine with friends in Kotzebue when we left last year. Come November, I could camp on their floor, and weather permitting, go out and whack up to 5 cow caribou per day.... tho 3 would suffice, one day only. I'd be all done....

Bull season is closed there from Oct 15 to Feb 1- Rut/Eskimo preference - incorporated into regs, big rutty bulls are referred to as "stink-bulls" -and inedible, tho bulls are again edible, tho fat-less, by Nov 10 or so. Not as good eating as all those pregnant cows. But there are lots.....:)

Good hunt P!

Last edited by las; 09/15/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
LIKE ..

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Well done. Congrats.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
OK, I'll be the dumb one and ask.

Is the 40Mi herd named for being 40Mi from some town/trailhead or did someone see the herd from the top of some hill way back and decide that the migrating herd was 40Mi long?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by horse1

Is the 40Mi herd named for being 40Mi from some town/trailhead or did someone see the herd from the top of some hill way back and decide that the migrating herd was 40Mi long?

Fortymile is a river in NE AK and the Yukon, named during the gold rush.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
thanks for that post & pics cool to see places I will never see other wise

Last edited by 44mc; 09/15/19. Reason: left out a word
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Good stuff.

Congrats.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L

from Wikipedia:

History[edit]
Prospectors named the river after gold was discovered there in 1886. The name reflected the distance of the river mouth from Fort Reliance, a former Hudson's Bay Company post upstream along the Yukon River.[3] Miners eventually extracted more than a half-million ounces of gold from the Fortymile watershed.[5] After the gold discovery, two Alaska Commercial Company traders, Jack McQuesten and Arthur Harper, built a post at the mouth of the river.

Last edited by las; 09/15/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Good stuff Congratulations

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las

from Wikipedia:

History[edit]
Prospectors named the river after gold was discovered there in 1886. The name reflected the distance of the river mouth from Fort Reliance, a former Hudson's Bay Company post upstream along the Yukon River.[3] Miners eventually extracted more than a half-million ounces of gold from the Fortymile watershed.[5] After the gold discovery, two Alaska Commercial Company traders, Jack McQuesten and Arthur Harper, built a post at the mouth of the river.

Lots of this kind of naming went on... 20Mile River near Girdwood was named so because it is 20 miles from Sunrise, formerly a large mining town near Hope. Anchorage did not exist then...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
753 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 83 invisible), 2,917 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,704
Posts18,400,064
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.