Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Berger VLD hunting.... I should not have to shoot a doe 5 times with a 7mmRM to get it to fall down.

I haven't tried the VLD at 7 mag speeds. What do you think happened there?

The deer and pigs shot at my camp with VLD's out of a 308 Win. fall down quickly.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Clark,

What muzzle velocity'range with the 7mm Bergers?

Very high. I run belted mags to never reload again at 75 kpsi and 3.34" OAL, and the doe was very close.
If that had been a Nos Bal Tip, I could have put my fist in the exit hole.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
How was the internal damage?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pencil holes

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
That sounds really strange for a hunting VLD. The entrance holes are typically quite small however.

Last edited by mathman; 09/17/19.
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I guess I have been lucky with the SST's. I have only used the .308 150 grainer but it has killed well and when run through the ribs it doesn't tear up any meat.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
rickt300,

As I have noted elsewhere, SST's today are VERY different than the originals.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Clark,

That does not add up--unless, perhaps, you used one of the target bullets introduced AFTER the original Berger "Match" bullets were rebranded as Hunting VLD's.

At that point, the trend toward ever-faster rifling twists in target rifles had resulted in the original "Match" bullets sometimes acting wonky when shot out of hot barrels. Consequently, the TARGET bullet was toughened up--but the HUNTING bullets remained the same as the "Match" bullets--which were very thin-jacketed, with almost pure lead cores.

To many hunters, it's counter-intuitive for the hunting bullet to be "softer" than the target bullet, but that's what happened.

Another note: When Berger first introduced the hunting line, they advised them to be started at no more than 3200 fps. I found that advice to be spot-on, and in fact generally run them at 2800-3000, where expansion and penetration has been fine out to 550-600 yards.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
MD Thanks for the reminder as I was going to load some up faster, now I will go to a heavier bullet to get them around 3,100 fps.
I think some people look at the caliber sized entrance hole and conclude the bullets penciled through. Maybe they don't even gut their own deer?
The hollow point can get clogged and the nose bent but even so the jacket usually still ruptures.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I was told 3,200 max for the VLD by Berger when I was working up loads for my 26 Nosler. I called them and told the tech I could push a 140 VLD a LOT faster than their top load. That's when he told me their top recommended velocity was 3,200.

140 VLD's work great in my 6.5-284 at around 3K over RL-17, great WT killers. Again, gotta balance bullet construction parameters with velocity and game being hunted.

I had way too much terminal performance inconsistency some years ago with the SST. I haven't tried the newer ones.

The NBT is a much better choice, IMO. But, back in the day, same with the NBT. I had quit them because they blew up stuff. New ones are great.

Both are accurate. From JB's statement, maybe I need to try the newer SST's as I did the newer NBT's.

Now, are the newer SST's as good as the current NBT's? That would be my question, as I really like NBT's.

DF

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've hit over 10 deer with 140gr SST out of my 260rem from 25-150 yards. Shoulders, ribs, neck...NEVER had an exit. All deer were DRT or ran 80 yards max and watched them all keel over, but NEVER an exit. Yes they worked, but I prefer an exit with a good blood trail for that time I place the bullet in a less than ideal spot. Making a switch this year to Barnes. 165gr SST out a 300WM are different story.....big exit, but lots of meat damage. Again, making a change to Barnes.

Last edited by OrangeDiablo; 09/24/19.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo
I've hit over 10 deer with 140gr SST out of my 260rem from 25-150 yards. Shoulders, ribs, neck...NEVER had an exit. All deer were DRT or ran 80 yards max and watched them all keel over, but NEVER an exit. Yes they worked, but I prefer an exit with a good blood trail for that time I place the bullet in a less than ideal spot. Making a switch this year to Barnes. 165gr SST out a 300WM are different story.....big exit, but lots of meat damage. Again, making a change to Barnes.

That sounds a bit more expansive than the current NBT's.

I would like to hear terminal performance comparisons between current SST's and current NBT's.

DF

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Windfall
It has come down to these two bullets from my 7mm-08 for this coming deer season. 140 grain BT or 139 grain SST. I know we are splitting hairs here, but its what I do. My deer run large and always under 100 yards so glint edge accuracy is secondary to lethal effect and an exit. Of those two, I've only used the SST and it was an older, softer version that stopped in the deer. For those of you who have seen the results of those two bullets, which one would you choose? They are both within a few dollars a box from one another. Thanks.

Neither. Both the BT and the SST grenade and make a mess of your meat. Hornady claims the SST is just an Interlock with a plastic tip. Yet the Interlocks have always treated me well. That plastic tip supposed to initiate expansion faster, but it over does it.

If I were you, I'd use the Interbond, Accubond, or just the Interlock. You could also try the E-Tip and the GMX. I have no experience with those, so I cant comment on them.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by 7point62magnum
Originally Posted by Windfall
It has come down to these two bullets from my 7mm-08 for this coming deer season. 140 grain BT or 139 grain SST. I know we are splitting hairs here, but its what I do. My deer run large and always under 100 yards so glint edge accuracy is secondary to lethal effect and an exit. Of those two, I've only used the SST and it was an older, softer version that stopped in the deer. For those of you who have seen the results of those two bullets, which one would you choose? They are both within a few dollars a box from one another. Thanks.

Neither. Both the BT and the SST grenade and make a mess of your meat. Hornady claims the SST is just an Interlock with a plastic tip. Yet the Interlocks have always treated me well. That plastic tip supposed to initiate expansion faster, but it over does it.

If I were you, I'd use the Interbond, Accubond, or just the Interlock. You could also try the E-Tip and the GMX. I have no experience with those, so I cant comment on them.

That's not true as a blanket statement.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I think some of these reports are on the old version of the BT & SST. At least with the newer BT I have yet to not get an exit. Their performance is very close to an Accubond or interbond. Have not tried the updated SSTs due to the performance of the early versions.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Tejano
I think some of these reports are on the old version of the BT & SST. At least with the newer BT I have yet to not get an exit. Their performance is very close to an Accubond or interbond. Have not tried the updated SSTs due to the performance of the early versions.

If the SST's have changed, you can't prove it by me. I also tried the Remington Accutips, which are just an SST with a Tan tip. Same results, and it's not like I'm the only one saying this.

Originally Posted by Mathman
That's not true as a blanket statement.

You are welcome to believe what you want, but do not call me a liar. My friends and I have been through this from every angle. Tried these aforementioned bullets in a cornucopia of calibers, from mild to monster. They are fragile grenades, and it only takes a rib to set off the charge.

I will admit, I haven't tried any BT in the past few years. So I will do so again, if it is true they have changed the structural integrity.

I would also like to say, I'm not trying to offend anyone. I'm the new guy here, so I would like to fit in, and stay awhile.

Last edited by 7point62magnum; 09/26/19.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have used BOTH for a while. The NBT since the 80's with stellar results in .270Win. Started using the SST's in the same caliber a couple of years ago, just because I got a deal on them... they work just fine also. I do not think it really matters much. What ever you like and your gun shoots well.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I did not call you anything. I disputed your blanket statement because I have personal experience with counterexamples to your assertion.

At my deer camp my friend, his sons and I have used SST's and Ballistic Tips from a variety of cartridges including 243 Winchester, 308 Winchester and 260 Remington. From things I had read, including here, I was a little worried about the 95 grain SST out of the 243. Several deer later those worries are gone. It has been a very good bullet for us in that application. The 95 grain .243", 120 grain .264" and 150 and 165 grain .308" Ballistic Tips have been excellent killers. I shot a large buck for this area, just under 200 pounds, with the 150 Bal Tip. He was quartered away with the bullet going into the chest and out of the opposite shoulder. Complete penetration with no evidence of the bullet grenading.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have no experience with the SST, but I know a lot about the 7MM and 30cal. BT. However, what I have witnessed is limited to 150gr. 7mm BT and 180gr. 30 cal BT both and great elk killers. Have seen them in action way too many times to have any doubts. Pretty good on deer too. Not that it matters because it's not relevant to this discussion, I'm a hardcore Partition user. Please don't try to straighten me out because I'm too old to change.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by mathman
That sounds really strange for a hunting VLD. The entrance holes are typically quite small however.

I'm with you on this, something is off some where. I used to load 210 VLD's in a .300 RUM Sendero. The entrance hole was a pencil, but the insides looked like you tossed a hand grenade in a deli counter.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

586 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,218 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,302
Posts18,449,071
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.