Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Every now-and-again I give my centerfire rifles a really thorough bore and chamber cleaning down to bare metal....
When I get them back to the range, I always see these range results following the deep-cleaning:

- Some of them start grouping well, right after one or two fouling-shots.
- But, a few of them need 10-20 shots to “settle-in”, then group well, and continue to group well in following range sessions.

Why do some barrels need those extra rounds through them following a deep cleaning?

Thanks in advance for your replies on this!

Cheers.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Because they’re all individuals...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have seen the same thing, especially with a 22LR. Depends on the barrel I guess, some need more fouling than others to "settle" in. To me, the first cold bore shot is the money shot, except for 22LR target rifles. Then I want consistent grouping.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
To refill the tool marks, rough spots, pits, with the copper/gilding metal you removed cleaning the barrel down to bare metal. Some barrels will shoot better slighly fowled rather than when they are squeaky clean.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Craigster
To refill the tool marks, rough spots, pits, with the copper/gilding metal you removed cleaning the barrel down to bare metal. Some barrels will shoot better slighly fowled rather than when they are squeaky clean.

Makes sense.
Thanks for the education!

--- Will Rogers
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've long ago taken JBs advice and stopped cleaning rifle barrels so much

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by gitem_12

I’m inclined to join the club.

--- Will Rogers
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Old_Crab

I’m inclined to join the club.

X2 i don`t clean my rifles or my shotguns much i just wipe my rifles down some

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
The one & only time I cleaned my favorite 300 WSM, it needed12 rounds before it settled back in. I was starting to fret. Had me concerned. Have not cleaned it since. That was about 400 rounds back. Still driving tacks.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D

Same. Don't need to be making any more work for myself.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Good to read that I'm not the only one who has seen this and I always thought that it was just me having had too much coffee or something might have been loose. A Shilen custom barrel should not be full of tool marks, rough spots or pits and a synthetic stock shouldn't be moving around either. I know now that I was cleaning too often lots of times only after a few rounds to confirm the zero. Minute of a whitetail brisket, but a little disappointing on a target.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
JB wrote an article where he talked about a rifle he had that he couldn't get to shoot. He was at the range and decided to just shoot a bunch of rounds to see what happened. He shot something like 25 or 30 rounds and it started grouping. I would never have that much patience.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With a new gun or a new barrel, I clean to bare metal after each range session until I have about 200 rounds through. After that I clean just enough to get out any excess fouling. Just me.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
P
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
P
I will have to quote Big Stick, "Cleaning before your groups open up is like wiping your but before you take a dump" Most rifles will tell you how often they want to be cleaned by the results on paper. Having said that I was raised to clean after each trip to the range. I now believe we should pay the most attention to the "cold bore shot" I see on Utube many folks speak of warming the rifle up before shooting for groups. For hunters the first shot from a cold bore should be on target and the rifle will tell you if that is from a clean or a fouled bore.
Pavementends

Elevation is math
Windage is Voodoo
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My Rugers prefer a dirty barrel, and I have heard others say the same thing.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

578 members (257 mag, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22magnut, 260Remguy, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,138 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,292
Posts18,448,951
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.