Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Sir ... you have definitely earned the bragging rights!

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by TRnCO
If a guy was looking for a brown bear, I'd highly recommend this river drainage. We saw over 20 bear total. Got lucky on the moose, although we were seeing quite a few tracks along the river, just weren't seeing most of the moose. Also no shortage of wolf tracks along the river but never heard or saw any of them.
Already took my rifle to a gunsmith to get cerekote treatment. Rifle was being attacked by rust from one end to the other after being wet almost none stop for 8 days including while in the wet gun case while on the river.

Birdsongs Black T!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Can't tell you how much happier I am rowing counterbalanced oars on the raft. Got some sawyer squaretops at a really good deal and couldn't pass them up, won't ever go back.
Looks like a great tripo.
Who was the guide or service ifn a guy wanted to try and do something like that?

Keep Smiling
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Good job, nice moose.

Why the hell would anyone not want to live in Alaska? smile

Beginning young of course. 51 years for me- not regretted a moment!

Last edited by las; 09/12/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I did a float for moose and caribou 30 years ago and swore off them then. Not for lack of game but for way too much work than hunting time. I remember spending 3 days of a 14 day hunt just packing out 1 moose my pal shot and dragging that dammm raft over miles of shallows hoping for enough water to float the meat laden raft at every bend.
But looks like you had a great trip.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nicely done! I really would like to do a float hunt sometime.

T
TRnCO Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Who was the guide or service ifn a guy wanted to try and do something like that?
Hidden Alaska outfitters.
I remember spending 3 days of a 14 day hunt just packing out 1 moose my pal shot and dragging that dammm raft over miles of shallows hoping for enough water to float the meat laden raft at every bend.
We got lucky and only had to pack my moose 200 yards through a marsh/bog and 400 yards further to a good spot along the river where we could land the boats to load. We also had to pull our boats through some shallows but that was before we loaded the moose, thankfully. We did, how ever, get stuck on a large boulder that was sticking up enough to hang up on. Was stuck for a couple of minutes until we were able to rock the boat enough to free it.
The level of the water in the river really fluctuates a lot, depending on rain. As we all know, Alaska had a very dry and hot summer so when we arrived the river was way down, but when we arrived the rains also started. That basin is a very large catch basin so levels began to rise with the rains, which was a blessing for us, although that also created another problem. It created what a guy might call, false channels. Instead of having the main channel clearly visible, several other channels started to flow water and a guy had a hard time figuring out which channel was carrying the most water. That got us stuck a couple of times, down the wrong channel, which in the end forced us to pull our boats through shallow water.
As we proceeded further down river, the river area narrowed and finally only had a single channel to follow with plenty of water, class 3 rapids, in a few spots. I've never floated any river ever before, which made this even more of a challenge for me.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fantastic hunt, Congrats! I bet it was one HELL of an experience for a very first float trip. I can just imagine it’s an all out “work your ass off” trip.
One things for sure while hunting- Always expect the unexpected!!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Wow. Congrats. Thanks for sharing.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Sounds like it was a bit of work,but yet also sounds like a blast.

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Hectortwsp
I did a float for moose and caribou 30 years ago and swore off them then. Not for lack of game but for way too much work than hunting time. I remember spending 3 days of a 14 day hunt just packing out 1 moose my pal shot and dragging that dammm raft over miles of shallows hoping for enough water to float the meat laden raft at every bend.
But looks like you had a great trip.

And your problem is what? smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Congrats!!!

Callin Varmints
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Awesome! Congrats! I just got back from an unsuccessful brown bear hunt last week down near the Copper River. We saw the same thing with the helo hauling the broke down plane!

Let’s see the bear!

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Man that is awesome congrats on an amazing experience and some great tasting organic protein!

T
TRnCO Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
It was raining cats and dogs when my friend shot his bear and I don't have any real good pics at the kill site, although I did get it on video for him. This shot is my favorite back at camp after fleshing. Never did get a measurement of the cape or skull.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]26632 by .com/photos/156405073N02/]Tim Richard, on [bleep]

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Great Pic!!!! GET SOME!!! #Verminators
Gadget

Callin Varmints
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Awesome. Nicely done.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That looks like a damn nice bear! Congrats. What’s the story? What’s that rifle all about? Some kind of silencer?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Your meat weights were right on target. Thank you for bringing out all of that good meat!

Moose hunting is a must-do but it can be a pile of work.

T
TRnCO Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
On the bear, we were simply sitting on a knob over looking a small lake/swamp area that the bear were frequenting. Actually had a bigger bear in his scope about 10 minutes before shooting this bear, but he just never got a clear shot at the bigger bear. When this one came out and gave him a shot at 213 yards, he decided it was big enough and took him. .338 win mag with 250 gr. TTXS bullets. Shot him twice and both bullets passed through high shoulder. And yes, he has a suppressor on that rifle.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (16penny, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,243
Posts18,466,884
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.