Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Tried the search. “Hearing “ gives 1001 threads about courts.

Any particular brands of ear muffs to look for?

Passive vs electronic?

You still wear ear plugs with the ear muffs?

I wear moldex plugs everyday at work. So it’s second nature.

Howard Leight Impacts seem t get very good reviews.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
howard leight impact sports for me. cheap and effective.

My diploma is a DD214
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I bought the Howard Leight muffs and loved them until they started getting stiff from old age around the ear “rings” and didn’t really seal off the noise. I then bought a set of walker muffs at around $70 that surpassed the Leights in every category for me. More comfortable, greater noise reduction and much more clearer listening when having normal conversations with my buddies next to me. The Walkers are also a bit slimmer and don’t hit the comb of the stock when settling in, like the Leights did.

Now if you want to go full potato go look at a pair of MSA’s one time. Good Lord....you talk about nice and comfortable! $270 or so puts em out of my league right now. Those gel seals are as comfortable as it gets though....

Last edited by Godogs57; 09/18/19.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Howard Leight impacts hardly ever get used anymore. They are hot and uncomfortable. Db attenuation is low and gets even lower if you don’t get a perfect seal such as wearing glasses. My preference for the range are
1. Decibullz custom molded at home 30 DB attenuation and all day comfort.
2. Isotunes bluetooth 28 DB attenuation plus I can listen to music or answer a phone call if needed.
3. Howard Leight impacts if necessary but not preferred as stated above.

Swifty
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Try the proper 24 HCF search site.

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=016407629494559605640:xponie3lspc

LINK

Last edited by ironbender; 09/17/19.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
3m worktunes. $50. I listen to podcasts on them and music sometimes. What I like best about them is that the volume is just loud enough to enjoy whatever I'm listening to and they drown the sound of my power tools.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the replies.

Also, the custom google search is the ticket.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
3M classic yellow plugs.

Never wear muffs.

The yellow plugs are nice because you can get em back in your hideously dirty ears after lunch break.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Tear off a piece of thin plastic wet day news paper sleeve and ball a plug into your ear hole.

Grocery store veggie or fruit bag, peel off a roll, is also ear nerveanna.

Last edited by jaguartx; 09/17/19.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Sone of the guys on the fire only need one plug- - - - - -it goes in their belly button because they spend most of their time with their head up their butt!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wear plugs and muffs because I shoot through culverts at the local range.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Generally plugs and muffs.

That way when I move the muffs to hear something, or because it's hot, etc etc, I don't forget to put hearing protection back on.

Invariably, if there are others on a range, I'll have the muffs up to talk to someone and the guy a bench over lights off a short barreled magnum with a muzzle brake.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've tried a number of the electronic ones, and don't mind the Howard Leights and the Caldwells. My problem is remembering to turn the switch off when I'm done, and those batteries run down fast. And when they do they don't work as well in passive mode as old fashioned muffs, being so thin. Keep spare batteries in my range bag, but.....

Also keep a pair of old fashioned non-electronic thick blue earmuffs I got from Midway years ago as backup. Had to use those earlier this week....

On days when I know the range is going to be crowded, I use plugs and muffs.

My dad's hearing was shot after spending time in war zones, esp around artillery, so I didn't want to repeat his experience even if on a smaller scale.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cigarette butt folded in half and stuffed in the ear canal. They're everywhere and it's good to recycle.

Seriously, I've seen cement-heads do this while running the saws or jackhammer.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Being a curmudgeon I wore plugs or passive muffs until I started instructing 4-H trap and went to electronic muffs. Not exactly like being born again but I'll never go back, even when shooting alone.

Plugs AND muffs must make people who wear belt and suspenders feel good. The point is to reduce sound pressure below the level that would cause damage. Either plugs when used properly or muffs will do that.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I wear Pro-Ear electronic muffs and also ear plugs. The Pro-Ears work much better than the Peltors I used to have. They don't interfere with my shotgun comb and, with the volume turned up, Ican hear ordinary conversatiin better than when I don't wear them.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Back in "the day" we shot without hearing protection. Same thing when I worked in the excavating business, running loud machines, jackhammers, and chainsaws.

After shooting skeet with a Winchester Model 12 equipped with a Polychoke - the type with a ventilated brake on the end - I had no hearing in my left ear. I went to my doctor, who was a Minnesota farm boy in his youth. He laughed, and said my hearing would come back. He didn't tell me I would develop tinnitis. Some day it's not bad, others it's very annoying. My wife has some hearing loss from 40 years in a gym, teaching phys. ed. Wear hearing protection, please. I wish I had.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Plugs AND muffs must make people who wear belt and suspenders feel good.

let's say that "you" need suspenders to hold you pants up, what do "you" hang you knife on? smile miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I really like my Pro Ears.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton
Plugs AND muffs must make people who wear belt and suspenders feel good.

let's say that "you" need suspenders to hold you pants up, what do "you" hang you knife on? smile miles

Oh now does that make me think of a rude response. laugh

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

169 members (2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 44automag, 30 invisible), 1,981 guests, and 1,027 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,493
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.