Print Thread
Hop To
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
The rules say you are supposed to have ammunition in it’s for original factory box. But what about handloads? Has anybody ever had any trouble flying with reloaded ammo in a generic plastic bullet case?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It has been a while, but my reloads were in a couple plastic cases and I didn't have any problems. Packed them in my checked baggage and all was well.... all the way to Africa....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I have never had any problem with the plastic reloading cases but I have never tried it overseas. I have flown with up to 100 rounds in MTM cases.

If you are worried about it, just put them in a factory box. I keep factory boxes for each caliber for hunting trips.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I also have never had any problem plastic handload cases, but I do know some who put their handloads in factory ammo boxes, just to be sure.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Like MD, I have flown to many places, including Alaska, South Africa, Namibia, and Botswana, with handloads in 50-round plastic cases. As long as the head stamp on the ammo matches the cartridge for which your rifle is chambered, you won't have any problems. (Don't ask me how I know. ) grin

Last edited by mudhen; 09/17/19.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I belive the regulation state paper, plastic and I think metal DESIGNED to handle ammunition. (Magizines need to be unloaded. )1 local TSA officer brings empty ammo boxes for people. MTM is fine.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I flew from Newark to Denver last November with a pair of 30-06s. Just to be sure, I put my handloads in factory boxes. I stowed the ammo in my checked baggage, not with the rifle. Just to be sure. Oddly enough, the TSA guys at Newark looked in my gun case without me present. They went into a room and left me outside. My brother-in-law, retired from Homeland Security, said I should have been present while they inspected my gun case. I was in no position to argue. There was construction going on at EWR airport, so maybe that was the reason.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DCR48
I belive the regulation state paper, plastic and I think metal DESIGNED to handle ammunition. (Magizines need to be unloaded. )1 local TSA officer brings empty ammo boxes for people. MTM is fine.

Magazines DO NOT need to be unloaded as long as they are not in the gun. I fly with four loaded Glock Mags in my checked rifle case.

Copied from: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

Firearms:
-When traveling, comply with the laws concerning possession of firearms as they vary by local, state and international governments.
-If you are traveling internationally with a firearm in checked baggage, please check the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website for information and requirements prior to travel.
-Declare each firearm each time you present it for transport as checked baggage. Ask your airline about limitations or fees that may apply.
-Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. As defined by 49 CFR 1540.5 a loaded firearm has a live round of ammunition, or any component thereof, in the chamber or cylinder or in a magazine inserted in the firearm. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks.
-Firearm parts, including magazines, clips, bolts and firing pins, are prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.
-Replica firearms, including firearm replicas that are toys, may be transported in checked baggage only.
-Rifle scopes are permitted in carry-on and checked baggage.

Ammunition:
-Ammunition is prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.
-Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm. Read the requirements governing the transport of ammunition in checked baggage as defined by 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).
-Small arms ammunition (up to .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge) must be packaged in a fiber (such as cardboard), wood, plastic, or metal box specifically designed to carry ammunition and declared to your airline.
-Ammunition may be transported in the same hard-sided, locked case as a firearm if it has been packed as described above. You cannot use firearm magazines or clips for packing ammunition unless they completely enclose the ammunition. Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be boxed or included within a hard-sided, locked case.
-Please check with your airline for quantity limits for ammunition.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You wrote it. " you cannot use firearm magizines or clips for packing ammunition unless they completely enclose the ammunition" . If you can see the cartridge its not fully enclosed. If the Magizine has a cover you good. Sneeky pete, ammo armor and Glock make these covers. There are a few airlines that have regulations reguarding ammunition and firearrms that differs from TSA policy. But it is not TSAs responsibly to enforce these policys.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Never had a problem flying with either cardboard and styrofoam factory boxed ammo nor any problem with MTM type plastic cartridge boxes. If you want to compromise then put your reloads in a factory type box.

If you wanna be safe and not have some fat ass TSA retard use their interpretation (I’ve NEVER had a problem with checking firearms and ammo) use a plastic MTM type plastic box that snaps or latches rather than the slip-on or slip-over type.

Good luck and have fun. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Same here. Never a problem with plastic ammo boxes, and I put a bit of strapping tape around them...just cause it seems to make everyone more 'comfortable'...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just make sure to print out your airline's and TSA's regs on transporting firearms. The people at the gate and TSA agents are sometimes clueless so it pays to have the regs right there so you can show them.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I just use the original factory box....

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's what TSA says;
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

Small arms ammunition (up to .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge) must be packaged in a fiber (such as cardboard), wood, plastic, or metal box specifically designed to carry ammunition and declared to your airline.

There are two entities that you need to be compliant with; TSA and the Airline. Airline rules are outlined in their "Contract of Carriage" (available on the individual airlines webpage).

I get asked all the time if my ammo is packed in factory boxes. I always reply in the affirmative and have never had to back it up (even though they are). This is an area where I choose to not take a stand. Air travel for me is complicated enough without me getting into a pissing match with an airline employee. You may be right, but you will probably still lose.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Some countries require a separate locked case for ammunition. The UK, Germany, South Africa? and others. Not current on it so look it up.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I travel almost exclusively with reloaded ammo. I always put it in 'factory' cardboard or unloaded brass cardboard, with the cartridge designation shown. These boxes go into a lockable MTM plastic box, and locked with a TSA lock. Name, address, etc. in ink on the outside of the box, which goes into my checked luggage. In certain instances, like going through Port Elizabeth to Joburg, I have had to take the box out of my checked luggage and check it separately- no big problem.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 2,944 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,704
Posts18,456,820
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.