Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I could not find any information on using Dyna Tek on shotgun chokes. Should these be treated and heated out of the shotgun? Is there any chance of seizing if done in the barrel and shot in? Does a shotgun generate sufficient heat to cure the coating? Will there be a greater tendency for the chokes to shoot loose? This will be to make removing plastic easier.

I want to do a pellet gun too. Will the bore coat cure or should I use the gun coat instead. This is as much to reduce corrosion as to reducing lead fouling.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
LOL, I would tell you to contact the company, but have found they no longer offer any kind of customer/product support. Been 6 mos since I contacted them on FarceBook which was a false optimism on them answering my questions. Even had the contact info of the company President, sent him an email as he requested, 6 mos. later still no answer. Total of almost a year in search of answers. So use at your own risk.

Swifty
T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks, I know others have done this but could find no details. Rumor has it the company got a big spacecraft contract and is down playing the gun products. The only negative I have seen is the one here which just doesn't jibe with the other reports. I think I will do the chokes separately to not take any chances.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yup , I am a liar. Here you go, have at it and good luck.

Dave, my name is Jim Stuelke and I'm the President of Dyna-Tek. I apologize for the poor customer experience you have received. Frankly, I agree with your assessment pertaining to the support we have given our consumer products the past year. We are not a big company and have been distracted by our move into the aereospace market where we are selling mold release and sealer products. That market evolved much faster than we dreamed it would and left us ill-prepared to continue supporting the firearms and archery market. Please feel free to email me personally at jimsdyna-tek.com or call me directly at 816.381.9690 and I will be glad to assist you.

Swifty
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Yup , I am a liar. Here you go, have at it and good luck.

Dave, my name is Jim Stuelke and I'm the President of Dyna-Tek. I apologize for the poor customer experience you have received. Frankly, I agree with your assessment pertaining to the support we have given our consumer products the past year. We are not a big company and have been distracted by our move into the aereospace market where we are selling mold release and sealer products. That market evolved much faster than we dreamed it would and left us ill-prepared to continue supporting the firearms and archery market. Please feel free to email me personally at [email protected] or call me directly at 816.381.9690 and I will be glad to assist you.

What was the question you wanted answered?
Despite being sceptical at first I have grown to like the stuff alot. Use it in all my varmint rifles with excellant results.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Who cares, the rifle has a new tube. Problem gone. And I never did put sandpaper down the tube as Jordan suggested. 😃

You like it with 0 support. Then 35 bucks shipped CONUS

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Otherwise both are going to end up facing a 220 Swift at the 200 as this one did, junk blew up real well.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Swifty52; 09/17/19.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
20 bucks off the shipped price from Midway, 2 hours and nobody wants it, stuff must really be the sh*ts. Laughing offer to sell withdrawn. Going shooting tomorrow and the junk isn’t worth 50 cents for the 2 bullets. Just going to tape it to some tannerite mixed in a film canister, 1 bullet blow the whole thing to hell.
Maybe sandpaper down the bore dude Jordan will threaten me with a red flag complaint or a Bricktop trick of coming to Nebraska to give me a public beat down. Or maybe a lawsuit like in another thread for dissing his favorite junk bond investment. LMAO

Last edited by Swifty52; 09/17/19.

Swifty
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Have a Snickers?

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Have a Snickers?

I will when the tannerite goes boom.

Swifty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Now might be a good time to start a YouTube channel.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
What issues did you have, Swifty?
I have used it o. A half dozen rifles. Works as advertised and I am not sure you would need CS as the instructions are dead simple.

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Swifty did you try soaking your barrel in alcohol and/or using break cleaner? The carrier or solvent in the bottles is alcohol.

Any chemist out there who know of a solvent for this stuff? Poly methyl-silazane, it is a polymer with nano silica particles in it that are 0.25 microns supposedly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tejano
Swifty did you try soaking your barrel in alcohol and/or using break cleaner? The carrier or solvent in the bottles is alcohol.

Any chemist out there who know of a solvent for this stuff? Poly methyl-silazane, it is a polymer with nano silica particles in it that are 0.25 microns supposedly.

Years ago I had a situation in which I suspected that I had incorrectly installed UBC (before the name change to DBC, it was called Ultra Bore Coat) in a rifle. I spoke with the owner of UBC and designer of the coating, and he told me that he knew of no way to remove the coating chemically, and that mechanical removal would be necessary. He sent me a kit with different grades of specialized, very fine sand paper, and suggested I might try that. I didn't like the idea of subjecting my bore to that type of treatment, and I wasn't sure that the coating was incorrectly applied, so I decided to just shoot and cure it and see what happened. It turned out to be fine, so I never did pursue the idea any further, but I thought that info might be useful in shedding a little light on your question.

To respond to your OP, while I haven't used it in shotgun barrels, I was told by the original owner of the company that DBC can be applied to chokes that are installed in the barrel without any issues. It is cured properly in shotgun barrels, and apparently reduces plastic fouling substantially. Sorry I can't report on first-hand experience.

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks Jordan. I think I will do the chokes separately just so I can do them all at once. I found another product that air cures some so may try that on the pellet gun.

This one really sounds like snake oil but there are lots of positive endorsements. http://www.sweetshooter.com/whatis.html at least I can use it on my knife blades if nothing else. It looks easier to apply and good for interior and exterior so worth a try.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have a old Bennelli SBE that's been shot thousands of times and I have never cleaned the barrel once. I do clean the action, including the recoil buffer spring yearly and apply grease to the choke threads at the end of each season. Maybe I am nuts, but I cant see the need for cleaning shotgun barrels.

Last edited by BWalker; 09/21/19.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
BWalker,

There is a reason to clean shotgun barrels, though primarily the chokes. Fouling from modern plastic wads can build up in the chokes, effectively tighening the choke, whether its more open or fuller. This can change the way the shotgun patterns considerably in several ways.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
John, I will have to check my chokes for build up when I get home.
I also must confess that I have never patterned the gun either and have shot the original IC choke from day one. The gun was used to shoot skeet and waterfowl with a little grouse action in Upper MI thrown in. Always shot adequate for me.
To clarify, I am not suggesting one not clean their chokes or barrels just that I never have. My gun could pattern like shidt for all I know, but sure havent noticed it in the field.

Last edited by BWalker; 09/21/19.
T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
My shotguns with chrome lined barrels need very little cleaning. I just spray the barrel with carb cleaner and brush out the plastic. Most of the carbon just runs out the barrel with the carb cleaner alone. If I let it get bad enough for carbon to get into the action then even the doubles will have problems. One thing the carb cleaner will dry out chokes so now I lube them or better yet put copper anti siege grease on them. Last time I pulled them several needed serious persuasion to remove and they had been treated with Rig when I changed them last..

Not so on the auto loaders. We knocked three out of commission in a week of dove and pigeon hunting in Mx. I hope treating them inside and out will make them go longer between cleanings.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Tejano, that Mex ammo is real dirty stuff. At least it was when I hunted doves down there.

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Mx. shells are better now but dirtier than even the bargain US ammo.

I can't believe how much carbon is coming out of my over under. Went after it for about an hour alternating Carb Cleaner and Hoppes #9, still dirty patches. Left it to soak overnight with bores full of ATF and solvent, went after it with steel wool on a brush and Flitz Metal Polish, and still dirty patches. Giving it another soak with Marvel Mystery Oil, ATF and Sea Foam gas additive.

Does the carbon continue to come out of the pores for a long time after a soaking like this?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 69 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,326
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.