-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
How much of a difference does lengthening the forcing make? Does it reduce recoil as well?

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It can help but don’t expect a huge difference.
What kind of gun, ammo and use? Have you had it on a pattering board?

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Many say an entire barrel overbore has a noticeable effect on patterns and recoil. I haven’t found that only doing forcing cones has any significant advantage for patterns or recoil.

Friend has a new overbore Beretta, and while I can’t notice much recoil advantage, his breaks at distance with IC chokes are impressive.

Last edited by battue; 09/17/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My personal experience with it is this. For heavy loads in large shot size it helps. The smaller the shot the more fluid like properties the shot will have. The larger the shot size the more room for realignment is needed. A forcing cone gives you that room to allow the shot column to rearrange.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wish to amend my answer to clarify I am referring to standard bore and forcing cone barrels. Most newer ones already have this.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Then the question becomes how long of a forcing cone is needed? I’ll buy in on the overbore, not so much on the FC.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The forcing cone needs to be 2.5" long for the typical person to notice. Anything less and they think they got ripped off. Whether it does anything to improve patterns is a big question mark. I have seen a noticeable decrease in fliers when using buffered lead shot of #2 and larger with maybe a perceived evenness in shot distribution in patterns with smaller shot- maybe (repeated intentionally).

I've read mixed reports with longer forcing cones helping to prevent occasional pressure spikes with the larger sizes of steel shot. This seem so of be a phenomena like detonation in metallic cartridges, some believe it happens but it is difficult to repeat in the lab. I lean toward longer forcing cones helping as it can't hurt if enough steel is left in the barrel.

I haven't seen any change in recoil when forcing cones were lengthened and can't see how that could even be possible unless the velocity was somehow changed. Shot charge weight would remain the same and what little metal would be removed should have negligee affect on gun weight. It might have some change in the recoil curve but that is something that is determined per individual, gun, and load rather than a blanket statement.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have shotguns that have been lengthened, some still rather short. My favorite that seems pretty soft shooting is a Perazzi with longer cones and .740” bores, all factory.

I agree that the benefit is quite small. As a sporting clays instructor, I see the greatest benefit to my clients in good gun fit and technique.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by GF1
As a sporting clays instructor, I see the greatest benefit to my clients in good gun fit and technique.

The foundation of shotgunning is in those two. Without them, you can have FC's that really do produce, and you will still shoot poorly.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
My personal experience with it is this. For heavy loads in large shot size it helps. The smaller the shot the more fluid like properties the shot will have. The larger the shot size the more room for realignment is needed. A forcing cone gives you that room to allow the shot column to rearrange.

I've read the same, however the pellets are randomly encased in the shotcup. Ignition jostles them around some more, and then they get jammed into a longer forcing cone and they somehow are consistently rearranged into a more pattern consistent shape. Not sure I can buy into the theory. I can see how any overbore reduces the amount of pellet deformation, which will certainly improve patterns, but a 2.5inch FC consistently causing an improvement in pellet arrangement that will be seen downrange? Perhaps it is so, but as of yet I'm not buying into it.

In addition, this improved rearrangement consistently happens in milliseconds?

Last edited by battue; 09/17/19.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by GF1
As a sporting clays instructor, I see the greatest benefit to my clients in good gun fit and technique.

The foundation of shotgunning is in those two. Without them, you can have FC's that really do produce, and you will still shoot poorly.

To paraphrase dead Johnny Cochran of OJ fame, if it don’t fit, you can’t hit.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have read lengthy posts on this and chokes and the most knowledgeable repeatedly say you won't know until you pattern it in your gun with your loads. If you shoot heavy waterfowl and turkey loads it may be worthwhile. But going from a 2.5" to a 3" you may not be able to see or feel any difference. The pattern might improve but probably not much more than the amount of normal variation you would see.

I do believe a longer forcing cone combined with a slight over bore does work better and slightly reduces recoil or the recoil curve. I would spend money on getting the stock fitted first before any barrel mods.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

611 members (12344mag, 19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 219DW, 16penny, 160user, 50 invisible), 2,024 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,239
Posts18,447,836
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.