Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/sep/18/ted-nugent-says-new-michigan-hunting-rules-will-tr/

Ted Nugent took aim Tuesday at a new rule prohibiting baiting and feeding deer and elk in Michigan, insisting the ban will lead to “widespread civil disobedience” among fellow hunters.

Mr. Nugent, a Michigan-born rock guitarist and longtime board member of the National Rifle Association, testified in front of a state House committee in support of a bill that would overturn the recently enacted rule against baiting game.

“This is a Rosa Parks moment,” Mr. Nugent told reporters afterward, according to the Detroit Free Press. “The law is wrong, the law is bad, the law is illegal.”

Backed by both the Michigan state Department of Natural Resources and Natural Resources Commission, the rule banning hunters from feeding deer and elk is meant to lower the odds of the animals spreading certain diseases, according to its advocates.

“We believe the authority to ban baiting and feeding should remain with the Natural Resources Commission, the body responsible for regulating the method and manner of take of game in Michigan,” said DNR spokesperson Ed Golder. “In addition, peer-reviewed research has shown that baiting and feeding that concentrates animals beyond their normal movement patterns increases the likelihood of disease transmission.”

Mr. Nugent took issue with the state for standing by the peer-review research, however, slamming both the DNR and NRC over the ban, local media reported.

“They’re either liars or they’re stupid,” said Mr. Nugent, Michigan’s Up North Live news site reported. “But, in the world of political correctness, some guy in a lab coat made a decision. He’s never even eaten a deer; he’s never been in a deer woods and if he has, he’s either lying or hopelessly ignorant. I want regulations based on sound science to keep these precious wildlife resources in the asset column, attracted to the hunting families in Michigan, to become a destination state.”

“I am the ultimate conservationist and I killed two mature bucks on my property last year with my bow and arrow, neither of them anywhere near bait. I don’t need to bait. Nobody needs to bait. I don’t need an 850 horsepower hellcat either but I’m an American and I own that property,” added Mr. Nugent, according to the outlet. “If you don’t want to hunt over bait, it’s pretty simple. Don’t. We choose. It’s a choice.”

Mr. Nugent, 70, was born in Redford, a suburb of Detroit, but moved to Texas more than a decade ago, even buying property nearby then-President George W. Bush’s ranch in Crawford. Dubbed the “Motor City Madman,” Mr. Nugent previously wrote columns for The Washington Times.

The recently enacted ban on baiting game is not state-wide: it applies throughout Michigan’s Lower Peninsula and in parts of the Upper Peninsula where a high number of deer have become infected in recent years with a certain, contagious neurological disease known as chronic wasting disease.

The bill backed by Mr. Nugent, HB 4687, is not likely to be considered before bow hunting season begins next month, the Detroit Free Press reported. Firearm hunting season starts Nov. 15.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

GB1

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Hahahaha!!!!!

No baiting.......

Generations of shoot house corn piling mofo,s with no hunting skills in panic mode.

Lmfao!!!!!

Last edited by renegade50; 09/18/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have not got a dog in this hunt, since I'm not in Michigan, and I'm not really a Nugent fan. But, I'm also not a fan of deer baiting and feeding. It's not any skill whatsoever involved in sitting over a pile of corn. On the other hand, I suppose you could also say that it's about as much as sitting over a food plot that is the only food in the area.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How many pages?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice to see Teddy still has a penchant for hyperbole at his age. Don't think I could tolerate a mellow Nugent.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Everything that hunters do is considered to be bad for the deer.

It should be up to the landowner what takes place on their place regarding this.

I just find it hard that slinging some corn will make every deer within miles of the site to come in.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by plainsman456

It should be up to the landowner what takes place on their place regarding this.

I just find it hard that slinging some corn will make every deer within miles of the site to come in.

The deer belong to the people of the state not the landowner. I wonder if they are thinking of banning food plots? It could be considered a form of baiting.

Last edited by colorado bob; 09/18/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by colorado bob

The deer belong to the people of the state not the landowner. I wonder if they are thinking of banning food plots? It could be considered a form of baiting.

You could expand on that and ban hunting on any agriculture field that grew a crop the deer eat. No hunting on corn fields, soybean fields, wheat fields, oat fields, etc. You know there is some spillage and lots of the fields start a second growth. This could also be considered a form of baiting.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

I doubt they'll ban food-plots. That's the issue they'll use to drive a wedge between the land-owning hunters and non-land-owning hunters. True "Divide and Conquer".

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
When I was a kid we didn’t have feeders and such. But we’d hunt hell out of a salt lick or around the acorns in the oak mott, or a hole in the oat patch fence. smile

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B3

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

i've been beaten over the head & shoulders while involved in this argument, more than once actually.

the king's wildlife belongs to the king, passed down to the state which sells commoners a license which allows limited hunting. it's sure to piss people off when the discussion gets intense.

here in georgia, in so far as i know, and i don't much keep up with the stuff anymore, baiting was allowed for south georgia, and then finally allowed years later for north georgia. my commoner's mind tells me if a food plot is legal, then so is "baiting." same thing in my pea brain. and the deer don't seem to know the difference.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Michigan lawmakers have a stranglehold on hunting laws.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Morewood

He said stranglehold!!!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

No different than any state. Lawmakers make the laws. Banning baiting of deer or elk is not a law I would disagree with.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by RickyD

No different than any state. Lawmakers make the laws. Banning baiting of deer or elk is not a law I would disagree with.

well, i can agree with what of you speak. but what is baiting? that's where i've fallen into disrepair with others.

seed, fertilizer, tractors, a field of greens. an input of a lot of money. buyer's choice.

or spread various food, supplements, and other nutrition. input is money.

i don't think baiting with food is kosher.

i don't think food plots are kosher.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
We have become dependent on this form of hunting in MI
That being said I really cant remember shooting a buck off a bait pile

I would also agree this form of hunting really doesnt make the best hunters. That being said I am sure you can find methods of hunting almost everywhere that other would roll their eyes, waterholes, dogs ,corn feeders ,helicopters etc

They (the bucks) know that a pile of sugar beets dont just fall there

The only thing it may help is if a doe is heading that way and he is hot on her tail

But I have shot quite a few off food plots and I will be sitting off one Nov 15 God willing

There is so much BS here in MI Re deer hunting I really dont know who to believe or root for anymore

Hank

Last edited by boatboy; 09/18/19.

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Lots of Grant's and Franklin's bait these dears in......

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If I ever get too old to blast that song (stranglehold) I will know its over
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
We bait, plant food plots, hunt holes in the fences, hunt game trails, hunt the falling acorns and pecans. We do what is legal, if they do away with feeders, so be it.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Seems this has turned into a discussion of "baiting". I've hunted over a corn feeder, hunted over a food plot and hunted over nothing. I don't see where hunting over a corn feeder does a whole lot. The deer come to it at times. Mostly when it is about to get so dark it is past twilight and you can't really see to shoot. It feeds squirrels, raccoons and I'm sure a lot of other critters. Food plots might feed deer. In the last eight years, I've seen one pair of deer come into a food plot and take a bite or two. Virtually all of the deer I've gotten are traveling from one place to another. I've NEVER seen a situation like you see on the YouTube hunting videos, or the hunting shows, where you sit in a big blind and five or six deer come out into a field while it is light and stay there to feed. '

There are a few in our club that have feeders out. Not sure how much they really rely on them because it is a lot of work and takes a lot of time to maintain them. Where I hunt now is an hour away. Keeping up with a feeder is just not possible and really isn't needed. But, each to their own. By the way, I am in SC.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 6 invisible), 1,593 guests, and 737 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,557
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.