Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Q
Quak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Q
Hey Guys,

had some fun yesterday at the range banging steel with my hunting rifle after sighting in my backup iron sights to a new load. I also shot some groups and to my surprise, i can shoot these things pretty good...into 4 inches anyways to 200 yards or so.

Am i crazy for considering using irons for this years hunting season facing shots on whitetail up to and including 100 yards or perhaps 125? I know low light in woods conditions would be challenging...but I'm thinking I wouldn't be overly handicapped it might be a whole new level of fun. What do you guys think...am I nuts?

GOD Bless America
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love iron sights. My balls are just too fuzzy past 75, maybe 100 yards, to take shots past that.

Should really practice with them more though. Dug out my old model 94 last year. Had forgotten how fun it was to shoot!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Do it a lot. I enjoy it.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Q
Quak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Q
It really is! I got way more concerned with making great shots...and not great groups which honestly was a breath of fresh air. Banging steel was a blast...no pun intended and the plates were about the size of the kill zone

GOD Bless America
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The only drawback is you cut down your hunting time because of the available light

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Nope.
I do it all the time.
(maybe we are both crazy)

I like irons best, but I admit I need a scope in dimmer light. I am just too old now to shoot irons in dim light.
I killed an antelope doe 2 weeks ago with an iron sighted 6.5X54 at 20 yards, right through the neck. It's the same rifle I killed this buck with last year. The shot was from about 165 or 170 yards last year, also hit through the neck. I would have prefered a chesh shot, but the buck 'busted me" when I was crawling up and stuck his head and neck over the berm. That's all I had to shoot at so I took the shot.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]2018 #1 Ant. Buck by Steve Zihn, on [bleep]
I am going out this afternoon to try to kill a nice buck antelope, and I am going to use either my M1 Garand, my M95 Winchester Lever action or maybe my Savage M99. None of which are scoped.

I intend to use a scoped rifle this year for my bull elk, but for my cow, and for all antelope, and all deer I am hoping I have clear skies and good light, and if I do I will use iron sighted rifles for them all.

Last edited by szihn; 09/18/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A big side benefit of open or receiver sights is that all kinds of rifles suddenly turn into well balanced, fast handling lightweights when you remove a pound of weight sitting well above the bore line.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm almost 73. Last November. I took my Hawken out in the back yard. Sunny, and I could see open sights fine. I use glasses for reading only. As evening and shadows fell, a huge buck walked out. I leveled the gun him, and with the diminished light, could not pick the iron sights... What a fool. Laughed at myself, and swore scope from now on!

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I have several with open sights or receiver sights. Even with 60 year old eyes and trifocals, I don't feel particularly hampered. I like a blade rather than a bead with receiver sights. I will say that minuscule bead on my 1908 Mannlicher Schoenauer ain't fun to find. The rest of my open sighted rifles have enough bead or blade to see with no trouble. I like hunting with opens sights or receiver sights.

Last edited by mart; 09/18/19.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nothing crazy about it at all. I do hunt with scopes a fair amount, but I always enjoy an iron sighted rifle. Hunts are more rewarding for sure.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've shot some pretty decent groups at the range out to 200-300 yards coming pretty close to what I can do with opitcs. In good light. Looking at a black aiming point that jumps out against a white background. But in a heavy canopy, 5 minutes into legal shooting time which is still 25 minutes till sunup those sights get lost on the brownish gray hide of a buck at even 30 yards. I'll stick with my scopes for hunting. But enjoy playing with irons at the range occasionally.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Killed two deer last year with a 30AW open sites 30/30.
One was a trotting shot on a doe at about 20 yards. The other about 80 yards on a doe I spotted in a clearing.
Optics may help improve your chances in low light, and with open sites you will benefit with good or corrected vision, but never underestimate the effectiveness of good sites if you know how to use them.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
A big side benefit of open or receiver sights is that all kinds of rifles suddenly turn into well balanced, fast handling lightweights when you remove a pound of weight sitting well above the bore line.

^^^ This. They also seem to hold zero better

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I started with iron sights in 1964 the 1st time I used a scope on deer was 1978 or 79, got a nice 8 point but it was so easy it took all the fun of hunting away for me. It may just be me, but taking every advantage in the hunt away lessens the experience of hunting. It seems today a scope is a necessity . If I was a meat hunter I would use a scope but as a sport hunter I can't bring myself to use a scope on something as large as a deer. Even small deer are a big target. In the back of their minds I think a lot of hunter know what I mean. When asked why they use a scope it almost always is an excuse the top being "my eyes" then I may have a long shot or light conditions. Only once have I had someone say it is so much easier with a scope. Even on short range rifles 357,44mag,45-70 etc. big scopes are to common. Then there are the scopes on shotguns for turkey. Even with the tightest choked shotgun do you really need a scope. Same with scopes on crossbows. Won't be long before scopes on fishing poles will be common. (this has been my old man rant I don't really care if a scope is used or not)

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not sure if it comes with age, maturity or experience, but there comes a time when the hunt becomes more important than the kill. I got as much satisfaction from this small buck than if I had tagged a monster with my one of my scoped tack drivers.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If my eyes were better, I'd do it more often. We now have a special season in January that only allows iron-sighted sidelock MLs and stickbows. I have a couple that qualify. If I get lucky and make meat early, I may get one out, or my Browning Low Wall .44 mag, or maybe just carry my .357.

The right glasses make a huge difference for me. +1.5 readers, or a bit more, do the trick right now, especially with a peepsight.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yup..I did a lot of it till the eyes got too old...but I really enjoyed iron sights...my last kill with irons....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Irons are good, but can be a challenge as one ages. Solutions? Longer barrels, such as a flintlock, or aperture sights.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've killed more deer with iron sighted rifles than scoped. Put good, visible sights on and it doesn't handicap you as much as you'd think at typical woods ranges. For years I used Williams receiver sights coupled with a Lyman or Marbles ivory bead front and killed a pile of deer, several in excess of 200 yards. Today I prefer to couple a receiver sight with a Williams green fiber optic front. That combo is still visible/useable beyond legal shooting hours here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do it most of the time

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, 17 invisible), 1,758 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.