Campfire Ranger
Some can’t get it done any other way.

Is what it is,

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Thegman
I think supporting this as a good thing against "bad hunters" is short sighted; feeds right into the divide and conquer of hunters. If you don't like baiting, deer, bears, whatever...don't. But don't cheer more restrictions being put on hunters, if you like to hunt. Your "unsporting" use of a firearm, or whatever else is deemed "unsportsmanlike" may be next.

spot on

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Part of southeast pa where i hunt is considered "special regulations area" and baiting is legal with conditions, must be an automatic feeder, dispense 2x daily max and only during hunting hours. Purpose of this is for population control and limited open land and to draw and hold the deer on properties where hunting is allowed. I "hunt" a few of these to help the landowners manage the herds. All i have ever seen while watching these are doe and small young bucks. The bigger bucks simply dont often come in to feed sites during daylight hours. Have talked to hunters in the more moutainous forested northern areas of the state and they told be a bait pile will bring deer in from all over the area, so i guess it depends on the area.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Let’s just make excuses for each other. That’ll fix it.

We have to do our part.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You have a tag to kill a deer. You kill a deer. Fuggin doogooders getting in other's business ain't going to help anything.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by saddlering
The Michigan DNR Sucks, 3 point rule 4 point rule! Bait dont Bait, I realy dont care much anymore! I do know 6 guys that are Not hunting in Michigan this year, they are going out of state! I live where I hunt, I could care less about the Baiting rule, if we can bait Ill put my 2 gallons of shell corn out, and Yes Iv Killed Large bucks over bait too! and without bait! I passed 2 diffrent 6 point bucks last year. I have 2 doe tags this year, 2 buck tags, Iv Passed on button bucks for 25 years but not anymore if its eating size Im shooting them. small six going down Im tired of the Let them Grow Crap! Fill the Freeze this year!

I think the biggest BS in MI is QDM

OK if you want to wait till you see a xx point great its your hunt
If you someone who comes up from GR and Det and your conscience is good with a 4 pt great
What about the 20 year old that never took a deer and wants to get started and the 4 pt is his option that no good enough
as you mature as a hunter you start to make choices and thats the way it should be

If you want meat in the freezer and this is good for you great
But we have groups that want to tell me that deer is not quality that one isnt either wait till you see this one

Fxxx Off

I am not a trophy hunter and each season I try to keep track of what is in my area and I hunt accordingly

I made the best Venison burgers last night I have no idea if it was a 6 or an 8 or the freezer buck I took last year It was great (it really was)

I dont (and SSB taught me you cant anyway) horde game I take what I think is appropriate depending on what we see getting ready for the season

I want to legally hunt my hunt

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Everything that hunters do is considered to be bad for the deer.

It should be up to the landowner what takes place on their place regarding this.

I just find it hard that slinging some corn will make every deer within miles of the site to come in.

Oh, they just line up and you can just pick out the one you want as if they were tame cows. wink

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Widespread Civil Disobedience = posted speed limits on US freeways...

So much drama, Ted. You should be a regular on 24hour...

Defend the Constitution
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by hanco
We bait, plant food plots, hunt holes in the fences, hunt game trails, hunt the falling acorns and pecans. We do what is legal, if they do away with feeders, so be it.

I agree. Here in Texas most people I know hunt over feeders including myself. Of all the bucks I’ve killed, only one was at the feeder. There’s so much for deer to eat that they don’t always come to the feeder.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
I have a place (family farm ) and we had no deer when I was growing up. Or turkeys. The game dept. brought in deer back in the 80's and I brought in Rio Grande turkeys. They both thrive here now. I plant plots and do feeders as needed. Do coyote control. I am 59 this year and have only killed one deer on that property and not over a plot or feeder. Have had many a youth out to kill a deer there mainly to control doe numbers. They are all conservation tools and that's the name of the game. Stewardship....

Having said that when it is time to thin populations I have zero qualms about shooting over a plot or feeder because killin' is killin'. Hunting is between you and the game and those skills are taught here along with responsible conservation. So there is "hunting" and then there is "harvesting" both are needed.....

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I feel the same way Hank! The Cos have told me that they find or are called to lots of Dead Bucks, Fork horns that are shot, and when the shooter Not hunter sees that its Not legal they just walk away and leave it! the one that I talked to last year had seen 11 small bucks just last season alone! the 3 point rule sucks, we should have alot of big bucks, but dont! Also its still legal to bait for the weekend Youth hunt , WHY if Baiting is Bad for the Deer heard go Figure!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/sep/18/ted-nugent-says-new-michigan-hunting-rules-will-tr/

Ted Nugent took aim Tuesday at a new rule prohibiting baiting and feeding deer and elk in Michigan, ........

“We believe the authority to ban baiting and feeding should remain with the Natural Resources Commission, the body responsible for regulating the method and manner of take of game in Michigan,” said DNR spokesperson Ed Golder. “In addition, peer-reviewed research has shown that baiting and feeding that concentrates animals beyond their normal movement patterns increases the likelihood of disease transmission.”

Mr. Nugent took issue with the state for standing by the peer-review research, however, slamming both the DNR and NRC over the ban, local media reported.

“They’re either liars or they’re stupid,” said Mr. Nugent, Michigan’s Up North Live news site reported. “But, in the world of political correctness, some guy in a lab coat made a decision. He’s never even eaten a deer; he’s never been in a deer woods and if he has, he’s either lying or hopelessly ignorant. I want regulations based on sound science to keep these precious wildlife resources in the asset column, attracted to the hunting families in Michigan, to become a destination state.”

“I am the ultimate conservationist and I killed two mature bucks on my property last year with my bow and arrow, neither of them anywhere near bait. I don’t need to bait. Nobody needs to bait. I don’t need an 850 horsepower hellcat either but I’m an American and I own that property,” added Mr. Nugent, according to the outlet. “If you don’t want to hunt over bait, it’s pretty simple. Don’t. We choose. It’s a choice.”

Here is your little piece of EU style government where some functionary makes the laws.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
uncle ted remains an expert on the subject of civil disobedience, i've never hunted over bait anyway.

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I grew up there was no such thing as baiting. You found what looked like a good spot and hunted it. You really don't need to bait if you hunt farmland, the deer are there. The northern part of the state and the UP, there was much more in the large forest tracts. My favorite places to hunt, I enjoy getting out and scouting these forests and pinning down area the deer are moving and using.

Originally Posted by 405wcf

I know DNR biologists working on this problem that are avid hunters. The issue isn't food itself, it is nose to nose contact over a feeder or pile of feed. When you pile food over couple of square feet, you increase the likelihood of contact. A multi acre food plot is not the same.

405wcf

The problem with that is deer are social and are nose to nose all the time regardless of if it's a bait pile. Scrapes? Licking branches? Concentrated food sources such as cornfields, acorns, apple or pears, grooming each other?

Originally Posted by Thegman
I think supporting this as a good thing against "bad hunters" is short sighted; feeds right into the divide and conquer of hunters. If you don't like baiting, deer, bears, whatever...don't. But don't cheer more restrictions being put on hunters, if you like to hunt. Your "unsporting" use of a firearm, or whatever else is deemed "unsportsmanlike" may be next.

Great post. And you'd be hard pressed to see a group more divided than MI deer hunters. You have elitist archery hunters looking down their nose at crossbow or firearm hunters (ironically 99% use the latest compound technology), you have baiters and non baiters, private vs public land, , traditional vs QDM hunters, numerous seasons starting in September through Jan 1st. Yet they all wonder why, as a group, they can't get anything accomplished to better deer hunting overall as compared to groups with a fraction of the numbers such as the bear hunters or trappers. Deer hunters are divided and their own worst enemy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by boatboy

I think the biggest BS in MI is QDM

OK if you want to wait till you see a xx point great its your hunt
If you someone who comes up from GR and Det and your conscience is good with a 4 pt great
What about the 20 year old that never took a deer and wants to get started and the 4 pt is his option that no good enough
as you mature as a hunter you start to make choices and thats the way it should be

If you want meat in the freezer and this is good for you great
But we have groups that want to tell me that deer is not quality that one isnt either wait till you see this one

Fxxx Off

I am not a trophy hunter and each season I try to keep track of what is in my area and I hunt accordingly

I made the best Venison burgers last night I have no idea if it was a 6 or an 8 or the freezer buck I took last year It was great (it really was)

I dont (and SSB taught me you cant anyway) horde game I take what I think is appropriate depending on what we see getting ready for the season

I want to legally hunt my hunt

Hank

For that reason, I'd rather see them go back to one buck. MI has good genetics but you can't have 300k+ bowhunters and 600k+ firearm hunters two any season bucks and expect older age class bucks. I'd rather to see something like Wisconsin, one per archery, one per firearm.

Originally Posted by saddlering
Also its still legal to bait for the weekend Youth hunt , WHY if Baiting is Bad for the Deer heard go Figure!

Yep. If it's that much of an issue, why is it allowed during that hunt?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by M1Garand
I'd rather to see something like Wisconsin, one per archery, one per firearm.

And I'd like to see WI do what KS does - you get a single buck tag, how you fill it is up to you.

Hunters. We're a fickle bunch, eh? laugh laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by M1Garand
I'd rather to see something like Wisconsin, one per archery, one per firearm.

And I'd like to see WI do what KS does - you get a single buck tag, how you fill it is up to you.

Hunters. We're a fickle bunch, eh? laugh laugh

Ohio is 1 buck per year. Archery or Firearm.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have to say that feeders help the deer get through tough winters and there will be fewer deer if supplemental feeding is not done. Feeders also make it a lot easier to put a dent in the hog population. The sale of bait corn is a huge industry and this will hurt them some. On the other hand if the feeders help spread disease maybe they should stop doing it for a while.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Who wants to bet Mr. Greenjeans will be watching Old Ted like a hawk and Teddy will be the first to get a ticket............

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ain't accusing, just wondering.

Ted apparently offers guided hunts on his Michigan property.

https://www.tednugent.com/sunrize-safari-hunts/

Does he use bait?

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
197 members (257 mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 01Foreman400, 17 invisible), 1,561 guests, and 863 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,911
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.